2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

I think they should more tightly enforce the rules they have now that make the uniforms more "uniform," like socks and making the jersey cover the pads. I would also allow for more variation with the actual uniforms though. For example, teams could have an alternate helmet that is not a throwback that could be worn for 2 games a year, no playoffs. The "home" and "road" jerseys would have to be worn at least 6 times a year for each, an alternate uniform could be worn twice, and a throwback could be worn twice. For example, the Dolphins would have to wear aqua jerseys 6 times and white jerseys six times, then wear an alternate orange jersey twice with an aqua helmet, then wear a throwback uniform twice. This would limit uniforms from becoming NCAA-like while still allowing for differences in the look for the team. Finally, I believe that rules for the number of uniforms in the preseason should be thrown out so teams can wear prototypes then to get fan reception. This would also make it more special for someone to make the team because they would finally earn a full team jersey to wear.

I'm OK with a home/road helmet, but I think it absolutely has to come with a designated home and road set. Mixing and matching isn't something the NFL needs. The game shouldn't be about "what are the ______ wearing this week?"

More equipment to clean, maintain and carry around? Not very smart.

It wouldn't be home and road, it would be a home/road helmet and a helmet that could ONLY be used with an alternate jersey. And if a team doesn't want the extra cost, they wouldn't have to have an extra helmet or jersey.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should more tightly enforce the rules they have now that make the uniforms more "uniform," like socks and making the jersey cover the pads. I would also allow for more variation with the actual uniforms though. For example, teams could have an alternate helmet that is not a throwback that could be worn for 2 games a year, no playoffs. The "home" and "road" jerseys would have to be worn at least 6 times a year for each, an alternate uniform could be worn twice, and a throwback could be worn twice. For example, the Dolphins would have to wear aqua jerseys 6 times and white jerseys six times, then wear an alternate orange jersey twice with an aqua helmet, then wear a throwback uniform twice. This would limit uniforms from becoming NCAA-like while still allowing for differences in the look for the team. Finally, I believe that rules for the number of uniforms in the preseason should be thrown out so teams can wear prototypes then to get fan reception. This would also make it more special for someone to make the team because they would finally earn a full team jersey to wear.

I'm OK with a home/road helmet, but I think it absolutely has to come with a designated home and road set. Mixing and matching isn't something the NFL needs. The game shouldn't be about "what are the ______ wearing this week?"

Teams already carry duplicates of helmets for some players in addition to helmets designated for practice (for some clubs if I'm not mistaken).

Adding a second set - and only traveling with one set - isn't that huge of a worry. Personally, I'm fine with the rules as they are, but I'm not opposed to a two-helmet league with the caveat that your home and road set is designated before the season starts and you cannot deviate from those defined sets.

This makes sense to me. Considering they would most often be wearing them only when they're traveling, they certainly could just set them aside to a point where they would be really easy to get out and ship to the next city. When they wear white-at-home/color-on-the-road, well, they could sort out that s___storm themselves.

What doesn't quite make sense is the overall identity aspect. I mean most teams are very well defined by the helmet they wear regularly (TV broadcast, clothing, even nfl bedsheets and such, etc.), so adding extra hats to keep up with for each team could indeed muddle with their identity and confuse the process, not to mention all of the mini-helmet collectors who would be forced to go that much further to complete their collection!

Plus, I think teams' single domes tend to look just fine on all of their sets anyway. From a difficulty standpoint, multiple helms would be fine. With identity, however, not so much.

Teams already carry duplicates of helmets for some players in addition to helmets designated for practice (for some clubs if I'm not mistaken).

Adding a second set - and only traveling with one set - isn't that huge of a worry. Personally, I'm fine with the rules as they are, but I'm not opposed to a two-helmet league with the caveat that your home and road set is designated before the season starts and you cannot deviate from those defined sets.

What doesn't quite make sense is the overall identity aspect. I mean most teams are very well defined by the helmet they wear regularly (TV broadcast, clothing, even nfl bedsheets and such, etc.), so adding extra hats to keep up with for each team could indeed muddle with their identity and confuse the process, not to mention all of the mini-helmet collectors who would be forced to go that much further to complete their collection!

I think an argument could be made that it's not the helmet that's distinctive, but it's the colors. For example, if you see silver-navy-silver with red trim, it's probably a Patriots home game. If you see silver-white-navy with red trim, it's probably a Pats home game. Over time, an alternate look of navy-red-silver would become as distinctive as the other sets.

I think an argument could be made that it's not the helmet that's distinctive, but it's the colors. For example, if you see silver-navy-silver with red trim, it's probably a Patriots home game. If you see silver-white-navy with red trim, it's probably a Pats home game. Over time, an alternate look of navy-red-silver would become as distinctive as the other sets.

You bring up a good point that seems go along with one of my beliefs that most any aspect of team identities could be set to change and lives into the best future. The only way to know, though, would be if multiple helmets sometime soon were allowed and we waited close to a decade or so to really see the effects.

I think it's more about a combination of merchandising and media coverage. No other sport uses its equipment as an icon for its teams or has its equipment used by the media as quick visual shorthand for the teams. No other sport regularly sells pictures of its equipment on tshirts.

Helmets aren't like baseball caps. They represent the teams in a way that caps can't even do.

Are you saying you want every team to wear white helmet white uniform color helmet color uniform then throw in a grey or anthracite helmet with matching uniforms?

What a great identity NFL teams would have then.

Hell ya! Throw a little variety in there once in a while. I would say though that playoff games and the SB should be strictly regulated, but during the season they should be able to go crazy every once in a while.

They get paid millions of dollars to play well. They don't need clothes to motivate them. Which is the theoretical rationale for why colleges pull this crap.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think it's more about a combination of merchandising and media coverage. No other sport uses its equipment as an icon for its teams or has its equipment used by the media as quick visual shorthand for the teams. No other sport regularly sells pictures of its equipment on tshirts.

Helmets aren't like baseball caps. They represent the teams in a way that caps can't even do.

Yes to all of this the NFL is one of the smartest leagues by making the helmet their major merchandise seller.

Once I see a helmet for an NFL team it is instantly recognizable.

In todays college game with just the recent rebrands UNC, Cal, & etc...

You see the same thing team color lid, with team color uniform, white lid with white uniform, Anthracite, Grey, Black lid with matching uniform.

To me this is very boring & is really not creative design but maybe thats just me.

Are you saying you want every team to wear white helmet white uniform color helmet color uniform then throw in a grey or anthracite helmet with matching uniforms?

What a great identity NFL teams would have then.

Hell ya! Throw a little variety in there once in a while. I would say though that playoff games and the SB should be strictly regulated, but during the season they should be able to go crazy every once in a while.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you can justify an idea by beginning with "hell ya", its probably not the most professional, clean idea.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think it's fine for an alternate jersey to have an alternate helmet since throwbacks can...it might not be a rule but its what usually is the case.

But I agree they shouldn't mix it in whenever they feel like, like others have said helmets are usually the most distinctive part of a uniform and most of the time teams are identified by them.

I think a good compromise would be to introduce a second alternate jersey but retain the twice per year rule. Imagine the home and road sets, plus a colored alternate and a white alternate. One alternate can be worn at home and one on the road. Or they could wear both at home. The alternate jerseys can both retain the same theme or styling. I don't want to see any alternate helmets beyond throwbacks, however. So if a team launched a new set of throwbacks, they would include both the home and road sets in addition to the helmet. Now if a team debuted a new style alternate, they would include a matching road version but the helmet would remain the same as the primary unis.

They're about to start talking to describe the new Jags helmets again and now the jerseys on 1010 XL this should be interesting.

I missed it. What did they say?

Nothing about the jersey that we don't already know.

They have a very generic way of Describing the uniform. As for the helmet they keep saying 2/3 high gloss gold and 1/3 flat black with a black facemask. I am just wondering if that's the one that was denied by the NFL.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

They're about to start talking to describe the new Jags helmets again and now the jerseys on 1010 XL this should be interesting.

They have a very generic way of Describing the uniform. As for the helmet they keep saying 2/3 high gloss gold and 1/3 flat black with a black facemask. I am just wondering if that's the one that was denied by the NFL.

Was this said by somebody who went to see the uniforms at Nike a few days ago or just somebody that heard it from somebody else? We keep hearing this 2/3 gold rumor Im starting to think it might be true. I really hope not.

Was this said by somebody who went to see the uniforms at Nike a few days ago or just somebody that heard it from somebody else? We keep hearing this 2/3 gold rumor Im starting to think it might be true. I really hope not.

They way they describe it is never clear though. I am starting to wonder if it is High Gloss Gold with a very wide flat black stripe. I'm thinking something like the width of the last Georgia Pro Combat uniform.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Archived