2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

unless Dallas is being super tight about it, i have read nowhere that Dallas is rebranding or making any substantial changes. Usually teams drop trial balloons to gauge fan reaction to see if the team should explore changes to their identity.

Which is exactly why we've heard oh so much about the Vikings uniforms, the Bucs' potential changes, and the Jaguars' new uniforms, right? The last I heard, Miami still hasn't even decided on a final logo, and that's for the 2013 season. The teams who submitted for a revamp for the 2014 season have the rest of this year, as well as part of 2014 to decide between concepts and final changes.

And to add to that, if Jerry Jones told Dallas reporters that they're getting a whole new modern makeover next year, chrome and all, how would you think the city of Dallas and the Dallas fan-base would react to that? They would most likely revolt. With Seattle, their '02-'11 uniforms were already ahead of their time (at least compared to Seattle's unis from the '80s), so it was more easy to transition to the Nike uniforms they have now. Other than some slight modifications, the Cowboys have had the same uni's for their entire existence. So more than likely, A. Jones doesn't want to hear the media criticism and backlash for a whole year, or B. They're so early in the design stages that they have nothing major to report/leak.

noalps.png

R.I.P. Darrent Williams #27 (1982-2007)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unless Dallas is being super tight about it, i have read nowhere that Dallas is rebranding or making any substantial changes. Usually teams drop trial balloons to gauge fan reaction to see if the team should explore changes to their identity.

im not believing everything we've heard from our 2 new friends either, but in this case, that would be the Seattle Seahawks and what Nike has done in CFB the last 3 years. the info is already out there

Not necessarily. Maybe the Seahawks revamp convinced some owners to let Nike redo them, but I would tend to doubt it. I mean, there wasn't any widespread guffaws over the Seahawks new look. Other than on uni boards, I think all non-Seahawk fans' reactions to their new unis was, "Oh, the Seahawks got new uinforms? They (suck/are awesome)." Compared to how ESPN has gone crazy over some of the Oregon looks and the Maryland flag helmets, the Seahawks revamp didn't even register a blip on the radar.

Also, I don't think any Cowboys fans care if the Seahawks look like crap. Other than probably a handful of 14 year-olds, I don't think any Cowboys fans wants them to look remotely similar to the Seahawks. If Dallas unveils something dramatically different and possibly futuristic, they would not only be destroying one of the strongest identities in sports, they would be pissing off a huge fanbase (locally and nationally) who view Cowboy football as a second religion. The 49ers fans' reaction to their one-day logo would pale in comparison.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

im not believing everything we've heard from our 2 new friends either, but in this case, that would be the Seattle Seahawks and what Nike has done in CFB the last 3 years. the info is already out there

Not necessarily. Maybe the Seahawks revamp convinced some owners to let Nike redo them, but I would tend to doubt it. I mean, there wasn't any widespread guffaws over the Seahawks new look. Other than on uni boards, I think all non-Seahawk fans' reactions to their new unis was, "Oh, the Seahawks got new uinforms? They (suck/are awesome)." Compared to how ESPN has gone crazy over some of the Oregon looks and the Maryland flag helmets, the Seahawks revamp didn't even register a blip on the radar.

Also, I don't think any Cowboys fans care if the Seahawks look like crap. Other than probably a handful of 14 year-olds, I don't think any Cowboys fans wants them to look remotely similar to the Seahawks. If Dallas unveils something dramatically different and possibly futuristic, they would not only be destroying one of the strongest identities in sports, they would be pissing off a huge fanbase (locally and nationally) who view Cowboy football as a second religion. Their reaction would pale in comparison to the 49ers fans reaction to their one-day logo.

I think what you meant is that the Niner fan reaction would pale in comparison to how the Cowboy fans would react. And I tend to agree, particularly in this day and age of information. The Niner fan reaction made total sense, given the importance of that team at that time, but I don't think any team outside of Green Bay or Pittsburgh even approaches what the Cowboys mean to the league (and what their fans feel they mean to the league). I think they are certainly one of those teams that would not be smart to "Seahawk-ize" their uniforms because it would knock the identity down a peg and probably cost them in the long run. The Seahawks were using fairly new uniforms that (while I absolutely loved them and thought they were dark blue pants away from perfection) were never embraced. I think they only thing they needed to do was to keep the essence of the helmet logo. Dallas needs to keep a traditional look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't really believe all these crazy rumors popping up out of nowhere from sources with no established credibility.

I agree. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, or calling anyone out, but we have a small handful of OG insiders here, folks who's credibility has been well established in the past (most of them were posting a few tidbits earlier in this thread), and none of them have said anything like this. In fact, it’s usually the case that anyone who might really have this type of inside info wouldn't be nearly as open about it as the new guys are being.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I actually hope you guys are on the level. It would be fun to get some serious and juicy leaks. We'd all be able to enjoy it, at least until you two get your "buddy’s" fired. Either that, or Chris Creamer gets a cease and desist notice :P .

Until then, don't be offended if most of us remain fairly skeptical.

I feel the same way. And here is another important thing - these posters may very well be legit and posting actual Nike info, but that doesn't mean they are 100% correct. Lots of ideas are developed before rebrandings. If teams decide they want to change colors, I imagine mock-ups are done of several different color schemes. Once teams decide on colors, they probably have countless different ideas mocked up. We are still over a year out from these unveilings. So even if the Vikings have ideas for what they want to switch to for 2014, even if the Cowboys are currently thinking about going to royal blue and chrome, that doesn't mean that anything close to what these posters have seen will ever hit the field.

I imagine most revamps start with the team submitting ideas, Nike offering their own ideas and presenting them in a way that the team agrees "You want your team to look agressive, don't you?" From there, I'm guessing Nike comes up with a boatload of concepts, and handful of different prototypes are made, and even after a uniform is decided upon, it goes through a slight de-Nike-fication by the team or league. I would be shocked if the Cowboys actually came out with something greatly different in 2014. In fact, with the way the team has moved with merchandising and the field art the last several years, I would be shocked if they didn't standardize evertying to navy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Which is exactly why we've heard oh so much about the Vikings uniforms, the Bucs' potential changes, and the Jaguars' new uniforms, right? The last I heard, Miami still hasn't even decided on a final logo, and that's for the 2013 season. The teams who submitted for a revamp for the 2014 season have the rest of this year, as well as part of 2014 to decide between concepts and final changes.

And to add to that, if Jerry Jones told Dallas reporters that they're getting a whole new modern makeover next year, chrome and all, how would you think the city of Dallas and the Dallas fan-base would react to that? They would most likely revolt. With Seattle, their '02-'11 uniforms were already ahead of their time (at least compared to Seattle's unis from the '80s), so it was more easy to transition to the Nike uniforms they have now. Other than some slight modifications, the Cowboys have had the same uni's for their entire existence. So more than likely, A. Jones doesn't want to hear the media criticism and backlash for a whole year, or B. They're so early in the design stages that they have nothing major to report/leak.

First off, we've heard almost nothing about potential Bucs changes. One guy on this board said there was a miniscule tweak to their set and you said they were looking at a crazy alt. Those two comments will not cause any reaction significant enough for Nike, the NFL, or other teams to gauge anything.

And I don't see how the Cowboys kicking the problem further down the road actually helps them. If they were to leak info, and fans were to go berzerk, they would then have time to scale things back a bit and go, "LOL! JK guys" like the Dolphins apparently are doing. However, if the new look bombs at the press conference and Cowboys fans are setting fires in protest, Jones is going to look mighty foolish begging the NFL to let him have a do-over and wear the same stuff next season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Also, I don't think any Cowboys fans care if the Seahawks look like crap. Other than probably a handful of 14 year-olds, I don't think any Cowboys fans wants them to look remotely similar to the Seahawks. If Dallas unveils something dramatically different and possibly futuristic, they would not only be destroying one of the strongest identities in sports, they would be pissing off a huge fanbase (locally and nationally) who view Cowboy football as a second religion. The 49ers fans' reaction to their one-day logo would pale in comparison.

As someone who likes the cowboys but hates cowboy fans, and regularly sees supermarkets full of cowboy gear wearing fans on the weekends, I can confirm that cowboy fans are NEVER, and I mean NEVER, happy.

If they have a losing record, they'll complain about not winning any games, they win games, they complain about no playoffs, they make the playoffs, they complain about not winning any playoff games, and on and on and on.

With that being said, I think as long as its cowboys gear they'll buy it, might complain, but they'll still buy it. I think the rarely worn navy jerseys might be more prevalent. As well as the throwbacks. And I also see fairly decent amount I people who wear black fashion jerseys (surprise surprise).

My point: cowboys fans are constantly complaining, but cowboys gear is constantly selling despite how it looks.

you're talking about fans reactions on the internet and ESPN's coverage of it. im saying the $$$ has shown up in a great way in the market. forget about the equity and tradition that has been built. you dont think these greedy bastards (especially Jones) will change anything if it means more $$$, more fans, more TV time??

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

From one of the Mile High Brady's Homie guys, Going off secondary colors from a few decades ago, the options...

Titans/Oilers: Navy for Red, Navy for Silver

Rams: Gold for Yellow, Gold for White

49ers: Gold for Silver

Cowboys: Silver for White

Eagles: Black for Silver (They'd be out b/c they never wore current green w/ silver)

Broncos: Navy for Royal Blue

Am I missing any?

I think you've nailed most of them. The only other team I could think of are the Saints? Maybe they could change their gold back to the gold they had in the '70s. After taking in some of Brady's Homie's hints, I think that the mystery team is either the Rams (gold for yellow/white) or the Titans (baby blue/red). However, a few pages back, Brady's Homie said he saw a concept of the helmet and not many of us would be able to guess the team. So if it were the Rams, I'm pretty sure the Ram horns would still be on the helmet. My source told me that the mystery team was a team that we thought would never change, and the Titans haven't changed their uniforms since they relocated from Houston.

noalps.png

But the past has shown that Jones is willing to go above and beyond, just as long as it helps the marketing of his team (i.e. his multi-billion dollar stadium, and his $3 million team bus).

And yet, no naming rights on the stadium (to date).

Jerry must be asking for like $1 billion a year.

you're talking about fans reactions on the internet and ESPN's coverage of it. im saying the $$$ has shown up in a great way in the market. forget about the equity and tradition that has been built. you dont think these greedy bastards (especially Jones) will change anything if it means more $$$, more fans, more TV time??

Are you guessing at that or was anyting published? I'm sure the Seahawks sold a good amount of jerseys in the past year. All rebrands lead to huge initial sales, even if the logo is widely hated by the fanbase, such as with the Buffaslug. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Seahawks new jerseys are iconic fashion, such as them being worn widespread by non-fans or rappers. Also, I don't know how a rebrand will give them more fans or TV time. The Cowboys are almost always overhyped by the media, as is. New unis aren't going to put them on the map, as teams like the Seahawks and Jaguars have hoped for.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

My point was that Nike have kept things relatively secret/hidden throughout the design process for the 2013 teams, and that it's going to stay that way with the 2014 teams. And to be honest, I really don't think Jerry Jones cares what the fans think about the upcoming changes. For years now, fans have complained about the mismatched metallic green pants, and Jones hasn't done anything. Like the person a couple posts above me stated, Cowboys gear is still Cowboys gear, and people are going to buy it regardless. What Jerry Jones is wanting, and what the fans want to see could be two completely different things. But the past has shown that Jones is willing to go above and beyond, just as long as it helps the marketing of his team (i.e. his multi-billion dollar stadium, and his $3 million team bus).

I see what you mean with your first point. While the stadium is a big, gaudy palace, I don't think it defines the franchise nearly as much as their uniforms do. I mean, if the Packers bulldozed Lambeau and built a Cowboys Stadium replica, that would be huge news and probably signal a turn in the organization's philosophy. However, Texas stadium was kind of a dump, and other than the hole in the roof being a quirk in their history, I don't think it did anything to define the team. I just don't see the stadium being a harbinger of drastic uniform change.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Are you guessing at that or was anyting published? I'm sure the Seahawks sold a good amount of jerseys in the past year. All rebrands lead to huge initial sales, even if the logo is widely hated by the fanbase, such as with the Buffaslug. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Seahawks new jerseys are iconic fashion, such as them being worn widespread by non-fans or rappers. Also, I don't know how a rebrand will give them more fans or TV time. The Cowboys are almost always overhyped by the media, as is. New unis aren't going to put them on the map, as teams like the Seahawks and Jaguars have hoped for.

tumblr_mg558b0gzC1rbv7z3o1_500.jpg

I beg to differ.... ^_^

noalps.png

not guessing, but you'll just have to trust me.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

But the past has shown that Jones is willing to go above and beyond, just as long as it helps the marketing of his team (i.e. his multi-billion dollar stadium, and his $3 million team bus).

And yet, no naming rights on the stadium (to date).

Jerry must be asking for like $1 billion a year.

That or perhaps (guessing here) considering the other events that happen there, it's a marketing opportunity for them to keep te Cowboys name in the spotlight for free.

Someone has to beat that value and perhaps nobody has or Jerry views that as priceless.

I mean the Super Bowl in Cowboys Stadium not featuring the Cowboys has to be worth a great deal. "Cowboys" is probably uttered as much as the other teams' names that week.

tumblr_mg558b0gzC1rbv7z3o1_500.jpg

I beg to differ.... ^_^

Who the crap are these people? I would only put a picture out there of someone that is actually famous wearing their jerseys.

spacer.png

This would have to be Jerry's idea if the Cowboys are indeed changing their uniforms i.e. matching sivers or something more drastic like chrome domes. I tend to think they will not be changing anything about their uniforms because that would mean Jerry Jones would have to admit that he was wrong about something. Even if this is something that can be so easily fixed like two shades of blue and silver Jerry will not do it. The man fired Jimmy Johnson after two Super Bowl wins. I just think the all powerful master of JerryWorld is too damn stubborn and proud to change a thing.

This would have to be Jerry's idea if the Cowboys are indeed changing their uniforms i.e. matching sivers or something more drastic like chrome domes. I tend to think they will not be changing anything about their uniforms because that would mean Jerry Jones would have to admit that he was wrong about something. Even if this is something that can be so easily fixed like two shades of blue and silver Jerry will not do it. The man fired Jimmy Johnson after two Super Bowl wins. I just think the all powerful master of JerryWorld is too damn stubborn and proud to change a thing.

i could see that too. Jones has control over everything. when they were opening the new stadium they were creating a brand margarita to sell there at the stadium called Cowboyrita or some :censored: like that. Jones even had to approve the logo for that drink

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived