Best uniform matchups in championship games

Stampman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ugh most boring Cup final ever. LA/NJD gets honorable mention for being boring as well.

Are you kidding me!? The 2004 Calgary Flames run was one of the most unexpected and exciting sports stories to come along in ages and that's coming from a Canucks fan. The 2004 final was riveting!

What was memorable or exciting about it? I'd bet a lot of people couldn't even tell you who the Flames played in the previous three rounds. I'll just guess.

The Flames beat the Red Wings in 6 games in the first round.

The Flames beat the Stars in 7 games in the second round.

The Flames beat the Sharks in 5 games in the Conference Finals.

Was I close?

Edit: Turns out I had Flames over Sharks right, but not the number of games; the Flames won the series 4-2. Considering how the Sharks always fade, I figure I had a decent chance at saying the Flames beat them in the conference finals, and, well, was right.

The Flames won in 7 in the first round vs. the Canucks, then beat the Red Wings in 6 in the second round.

What was exciting was the fact that a team that hadn't won playoff series since 1989 came within a game of winning the Stanley Cup. Living in Calgary might have had a lot to do with it as well but like I said I'm a Canucks fan and they knocked off my team.

When they beat the Canucks in 7, most people thought it was a fluke or just attributed to the awful play of Dan Cloutier. How a 7 game series between two fierce divisional rivals could be deemed unexciting is beyond my comprehension.

When the second round started, popular consensus was that the Flames had a snowballs chance in hell of beating the top seeded Red Wings but that's exactly what happened, and in dramatic OT fashion. Another spectacular series.

Then we have the Sharks series in the conference finals and while you're right about the Sharks getting a reputation of fading/choking but this was in 2004 before all of their epic collapses as top contenders and this series was a close to the Stanley Cup as the Sharks have ever gotten. Again the Flames are the underdog against a top seeded powerhouse and manage to overcome the odds and make it to the Stanley Cup final. As i've said, nobody expected this to happen in a million years and the amount of support the Flames got around Canada at the time was unprecedented. Not to mention the excitement of going down to the Red Mile, which unlike Vancouver and Whyte Ave in Edmonton, never erupted into riots of any kind.

The Flames should have won the cup that year, Gelinas' phantom goal in game 6 would have changed the entire complexion of the game had it counted and it would have been the perfect story. An underdog team coming out of nowhere to end Canada's cup drought. How you people can dis the 2004 run of the Flames is absolutely beyond me. It was some of the best hockey I've ever seen and there hasn't been a more compelling story to come along since.

ugh most boring Cup final ever. LA/NJD gets honorable mention for being boring as well.

Are you kidding me!? The 2004 Calgary Flames run was one of the most unexpected and exciting sports stories to come along in ages and that's coming from a Canucks fan. The 2004 final was riveting!

What was memorable or exciting about it? I'd bet a lot of people couldn't even tell you who the Flames played in the previous three rounds. I'll just guess.

The Flames beat the Red Wings in 6 games in the first round.

The Flames beat the Stars in 7 games in the second round.

The Flames beat the Sharks in 5 games in the Conference Finals.

Was I close?

Edit: Turns out I had Flames over Sharks right, but not the number of games; the Flames won the series 4-2. Considering how the Sharks always fade, I figure I had a decent chance at saying the Flames beat them in the conference finals, and, well, was right.

The Flames won in 7 in the first round vs. the Canucks, then beat the Red Wings in 6 in the second round.

What was exciting was the fact that a team that hadn't won playoff series since 1989 came within a game of winning the Stanley Cup. Living in Calgary might have had a lot to do with it as well but like I said I'm a Canucks fan and they knocked off my team.

When they beat the Canucks in 7, most people thought it was a fluke or just attributed to the awful play of Dan Cloutier. How a 7 game series between two fierce divisional rivals could be deemed unexciting is beyond my comprehension.

When the second round started, popular consensus was that the Flames had a snowballs chance in hell of beating the top seeded Red Wings but that's exactly what happened, and in dramatic OT fashion. Another spectacular series.

Then we have the Sharks series in the conference finals and while you're right about the Sharks getting a reputation of fading/choking but this was in 2004 before all of their epic collapses as top contenders and this series was a close to the Stanley Cup as the Sharks have ever gotten. Again the Flames are the underdog against a top seeded powerhouse and manage to overcome the odds and make it to the Stanley Cup final. As i've said, nobody expected this to happen in a million years and the amount of support the Flames got around Canada at the time was unprecedented. Not to mention the excitement of going down to the Red Mile, which unlike Vancouver and Whyte Ave in Edmonton, never erupted into riots of any kind.

The Flames should have won the cup that year, Gelinas' phantom goal in game 6 would have changed the entire complexion of the game had it counted and it would have been the perfect story. An underdog team coming out of nowhere to end Canada's cup drought. How you people can dis the 2004 run of the Flames is absolutely beyond me. It was some of the best hockey I've ever seen and there hasn't been a more compelling story to come along since.

It has nothing to do with the Cup run. The finals were BORING. Clutching and grabbing hockey at its worst. Outside of Calgary and Tampa, no one cared and ratings showed that.

Once again, it has nothing to do with the Flames, it was the style of play.

Very similar to the LA Kings run. The NHL eased up on their obstruction rules, and the quality of hockey went down the toilet. I will say the style of hockey in this last playoffs was FAR worse than the Flames run on '04.

• 1 month later...

1985usflchampionshipgam.png

1985 USFL Championship Game, Baltimore Stars vs. Oakland Invaders -- the last game in league history. (I was at this one.)

Thos Invader unis look like old Blue Bomber ones--not identical, but in the same neighbourhood.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Those USA uniforms are atrocious. All I see is big navy blobs skating around. Their attempt at breaking up the monochrome look by wearing white helmets only worsens things.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

super-bowl-xxv-scott-norwood.jpg

Seriously? I remember watching this game as a 9-year old and HATING how much it looked like an intrasquad game... it was probably one of my first forays into uni geekdom.

Archived