2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

It's interesting that Cardiff have not signified an away and third kit. I'd quite like that idea, as the line between second and third kits in soccer is increasingly blurred, except for the fact that in this case it smacks a bit of further relegating the traditional colour of the clubs kit.

Indeed - whilst the idea itself is an interesting one, given the club in question you can't help but think it's part of the drip, drip, drip of removing blue from the equation.

Drip, drip, drip nothing. They did remove all blue from the club's identify in one swift action.

If anything, this change kit is a retention of some blue, a sop to the many fans who didn't like their club's traditional identity gutted for merchandising, and as such I think it should be seen as a positive step, depending on how often they actually wear it and when.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drip, drip, drip nothing. They did[/u remove all blue from the club's identify in one swift action.

I know that - what I meant was that last season blue was retained as the away colour to placate supporters, this season though it's being relegated further to one half of a pair of 'joint alternative' kits.

How much further down the line before a blue kit as part of their range is dropped altogether?

To be honest, even though I'm not a Cardiff fan, Vincent Tan can go screw himself for what he did to that team. Spitting on the team's history is disgusting.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yes please.

Also that Newcastle kit is completely ruined by the sponsor.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Gotcha, Jaffa. I didn't realize that.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a season or two the blue is relegated to just a trim colour on Cardiff's kits, before an attempt to phase it out altogether. Tam wants his red, he wants rid of the traditional blue - I can imagine he'd have done away with it already if there hadn't been such a backlash.

The sad thing is, I was looking on a couple of Cardiff City forums the other day and it seems there are more than a few supporters who have happily accepted the change - they have a team doing well so they view it as a price worth paying for that success.

Up until now I would say there is literally no connection between changing to red and the increase in success. However, now that Cardiff are in the Premier League and their matches are more available on a world scale, along with facing higher quality, better supported worldwide opposition week in week out, the support level in Malaysia may increase a fair bit.

Obviously the chairman believes that playing in red and having a dragon in the crest will make the team more appealing to the Malaysian (and general asian) market. I am not so sure about this, but in the coming years if things go right it could be looked back upon as a good decision.

On a side note, my roomate from University is from Cardiff and is a long time season ticket holder. He was against the change and still is. I personally think there should be still be one blue kit (with white shorts) per year out of the home/away/third.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

On a similar note, there's been some talk here that our owners are looking at changing our name to Hull Tigers - or at a pinch Hull City Tigers to try and placate disgruntled supporters. Doctored crests have started appearing around the place, press releases have started referring to us by the new name, and it does seem as if there's a bit of an attempt to get people used to it before a full rebrand is officially put in place.

Naturally, many folk aren't happy at the prospect - myself included. However, there are some who have it in their heads that changing the name will bring instant success - millions of people in the far east will turn their backs on Manchester United and Liverpool and buy our shirts instead (they like tigers over there, you see) and we'll have Asian multi-nationals queuing up to throw their cash at us to have their names associated with the rebranded club.

Such talk is daft of course and there's nothing to suggest that a change is been mooted to appeal to these markets - if anything, it seems to be simply because the owner likes the name. But it illustrates that some fans are prepared to go along with all sorts if they get even the whiff of success for their team, and seem all too happy to try and justify jettisoning their club's tradition and identity to chase the prospect of success.

Hull desperately needs a new crest, as that tiger's terrible. But I don't see the point of making the nickname part of the official name.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I doubt that to be the case, particularly because I don't expect the Yanks to get a secondhand template for the World Cup. We always get custom designs (which sometimes later become offered as a teamwear template...not the other way around). I also expect us to drop the hoops for next year. I am hoping we finally relaunch the sash in the proper manner with the red stripe on a white shirt just as it was in 1950. We've had too many teases with tonal sashes (white with off-white 2010, hoops 2012, navy with white sleeves 2012). I enjoyed the white sash on blue along with the blue sash on red, but I am fully ready for the classic red on white sash again!

The hoops on navy (preferably with hooped socks but I digress) has the potential to become a classic look. Who else in the world (national teams) uses it?

If we go to something like the centennial kit, the England and Germany (among others) comparisons begin.

If we do the white shirt with the red sash, that's kind of already Peru's thing.

A couple of countries (Paraguay comes to mind immediately) do red/white stripes but I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head that does red/white hoops. Plus it just looks good.

6fQjS3M.png

India:

inde-nouveaux-maillots-2014.jpeg

Possibly template for new USA jerseys? Red/White stripes. White sleeves. Navy cuffs+hem.

looks great. pretty sure thats the same template that Atletico, Porto, etc used last season.

0,,12637~11699916,00.jpg

FC-Porto-2012-2013-Away-shirt-1024x678.jpg

i hope the USMNT keeps the hoops. one of the most fitting international kits out there. semi-related, i also like that the MT and WT have been sporting the same kits for the past few years.

Hull desperately needs a new crest, as that tiger's terrible. But I don't see the point of making the nickname part of the official name.

The tiger we currently use is actually rather old - it was slapped on the shield as a bit of a rush job ten or so years ago as we needed to quickly replace the previous crest for reasons I won't bore you with. In all honesty, I'm surprised that it's lasted as long as it has.

I wouldn't be averse to a tastefully done new crest, but it needs to feature a tiger and our proper name. Interestingly, one of the directors was hauled up on the radio to explain what was going on with the rumoured rebrand and he hinted that there may be a change at some point, but pledged that fans would be consulted before a final decision was made.

Anyway, steering the subject back onto new kits - and poor, poor Sheffield Wednesday...

37ha.jpg

Bit of a dog's dinner, that.

Archived