2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Yeah they've had a few... but overall I think majority would lean more negatively towards the Swift design (This could also have been more towards the first generation of the Swift design, 2006)

usa-hockey-team-jersey.jpg

While I'm sure there'd be stinkers, if Nike made even half of the NHL look that good, I'd be a happy camper.

Except for those collars. Yuck.

And on the topic of the Islanders and navy, i know somebody is bound to bring up these and "how great they were":

New-York-Islanders-Blue-Jersey-2007-2010.jpg

I cannot believe the love these get. The sleeve design worked surprisingly well, but everything else...jeez. Front numbers, phantom yoke, razor-thin contoured hem stripes, that shoulder patch (and how it was only on one shoulder)...God, what a mess.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they've had a few... but overall I think majority would lean more negatively towards the Swift design (This could also have been more towards the first generation of the Swift design, 2006)

usa-hockey-team-jersey.jpg

While I'm sure there'd be stinkers, if Nike made even half of the NHL look that good, I'd be a happy camper.

Except for those collars. Yuck.

And on the topic of the Islanders and navy, i know somebody is bound to bring up these and "how great they were":

New-York-Islanders-Blue-Jersey-2007-2010.jpg

I cannot believe the love these get. The sleeve design worked surprisingly well, but everything else...jeez. Front numbers, phantom yoke, razor-thin contoured hem stripes, that shoulder patch (and how it was only on one shoulder)...God, what a mess.

I hear ya. Thats why the fisherman look is still the best damn look this team ever had.

12.fish-stick-uniform.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

Why not put the current islanders logo on that jersey (remove that fisherman logo) and use that jersey look as the 3rd alternate? can that be workable once again? I wonder...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Why not put the current islanders logo on that jersey (remove that fisherman logo) and use that jersey look as the 3rd alternate? can that be workable once again? I wonder...

382125_display_image.jpg045e6a7368f33e8f.jpg

It did not work either. Somehow adding the old logo, just makes it feel more "90'sish".

Those Islanders' jerseys probably could have lasted longer if they kept the original striping pattern shown in the picture.

EDIT:

I've only just noticed how different the striping is here to the actual uniform worn on the ice. It's also eerily similar to what the Ducks use today. This might have been alright on its own, but, OH HEY GUYS LET'S MAKE IT WAVY

I was about to say the same. The hem stripes also look similar to the old Mighty Ducks jerseys from the same period.

The wavy stripes I like. They're not for any random team, but it fits for the Islanders. The wavy numbers on the other hand...

The thing I wonder is: 20ish years further removed from the dynasty years and based on the (lack of) reaction to the awful black third jersey, would this rebrand still be a failure if it were introduced today?

Ah i see... it would have been something to see that again but I didnt like the fisherman crest... the wavy lines on the jersey I loved how it went.. the numbers in the back was weird to see at least....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Wait...I liked Octo's post because I thought he was posting in character of an octopus. If we're being serious here, those should be burned. However, it's a real shame that they used the lighthouse logo on them, because that had potential. Now they can never use it because of what it's associated with.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Fisherman set is a work of art. From it's bold, attractive colour palette to it's unique striping that compliments the nautical theme perfectly. As an owner of an authentic blue, take my word that you really have to see it in person to appreciate it. The Islanders original set on the other hand is a bland, cookie cutter set that was fortunate enough to see 4 stanley cups lifted in it. That is the only reason it is still around.

I might as well chime in with each Islanders set (not counting alternates because those black uniforms need to die)

1A. 1999-2007 navy blue. If it weren't for the Oilers also in navy blue, it would've stood out really well, navy blue craze in sports be damned.

1B. 2010-Present/1972-1995 Royal blue. Again, Oilers, thanks for also going retro when we did

3. 2008-2010 Edge uniforms. They got quite a bit of hate around here, but they were in the top half of the first Edge jerseys that came out IMO. Lose the front numbers and they look quite good. The issue was that they strayed too far from tradition, even without going way off like other Edge sets, so they were pretty much panned by Islander fans.

485737. The Fisherman jerseys

485738. Slapping the traditional Islander logo onto the Fisherman jerseys

I mean, I'm all for collecting awful uniforms like the Burger King or Wild Wing jerseys, but aside from the nautical color scheme and the Lighthouse logo, there was nothing redeeming about those uniforms or the Fisherman logo. 90s expansion team with that logo? Fine. Team with a (at that time because it was only year 2 of Mad Mike) proud and rich tradition? Hell no.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Well, right about that time, people, a fur trapper, who was strictly from commercial, had the unmitigated audacity to jump up from behind my igloo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived