The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Four games. Man, whatever. I don't even like Corey Perry.

Well lucky you. He'll be out through the Blackhawks game on Wednesday.\

With the ejection, two games (mayyybe three) would have been fine. But whatever, punish to the injury, not the intent.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the hit Perry had on Zucker. While he did hurt him, the issue is a taller player hitting a smaller player. Zucker stands 5'11" and Perry 6'3", and truthfully if Zucker was taller no one would be saying anything about the hit. Truthfully, I don't see anything suspendable about the hit at all. If he was going to check him, could he have given him a hip check? Sure, but does Perry know how to throw a proper hip check. He was checking Zucker the way he checks all other players. This is coming from a Kings fan, I don't see why he was suspended. To me he's getting suspended only because he's taller and hit a smaller player. Let's call a spade a spade. So what we've learned is that taller players can't hit smaller players. I'm sorry, but that hit was just a hockey play.

If Zucker's so much shorter, why did Perry have to jump up to hit him?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Perry gets FOUR GAMES?!?!

You are HIGH, Shanahan.

See what I mean about former Red Wings in positions of authority around the league????

THE MYANS WARNED US THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

Stevey Y has to be involved in this somehow, right? B)

YES! CONNECT THE DOTS PEOPLE!

*goes back to my Beautiful Mind-esque room of Hockey News clippings*

ILLUMINATI!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Perry gets FOUR GAMES?!?!

You are HIGH, Shanahan.

WeberZetterberg.gif

I hate the Red Wings as much as any other Blackhawks fan but that play still manages to infuriate me. How the HELL did he get away with just a fine?

Man, I forgot all about that. There are dirty hits, but that was straight up pro wrestling. Worse, because at least the turnbuckle has more give than the glass. He stopped playing the game of hockey for a bit there. How many times do you see a linesman come over like that while play is still going on?

Raymonds goal was legal, because, according to the rule, the puck didn't stop moving. It doesn't appear to matter if the player is moving or not. I just watched a couple of replays and there's no evidence to me that the puck comes to a complete stop at any point.

I watched the hit Perry had on Zucker. While he did hurt him, the issue is a taller player hitting a smaller player. Zucker stands 5'11" and Perry 6'3", and truthfully if Zucker was taller no one would be saying anything about the hit. Truthfully, I don't see anything suspendable about the hit at all. If he was going to check him, could he have given him a hip check? Sure, but does Perry know how to throw a proper hip check. He was checking Zucker the way he checks all other players. This is coming from a Kings fan, I don't see why he was suspended. To me he's getting suspended only because he's taller and hit a smaller player. Let's call a spade a spade. So what we've learned is that taller players can't hit smaller players. I'm sorry, but that hit was just a hockey play.

Pronger Physics is back!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Damnit Pronger!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Raymonds goal was legal, because, according to the rule, the puck didn't stop moving. It doesn't appear to matter if the player is moving or not. I just watched a couple of replays and there's no evidence to me that the puck comes to a complete stop at any point.

The rule specifically mentions the spin-o-rama as being legal because it involves continuous motion. I contend that he did the move so poorly that it did not involve continuous motion. it seems like a lot shootout spins are too close to the goalie to really keep moving forward. It's basically snowing the goalie, then turning in a circle as fast as you can instead of spinning while moving forward.

Good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPyyMSB5lY

Questionable:

Bad:

I'm still a ways from having enough knowledge of the game to keep up with the folks in this thread, but I am really enjoying following the sport again.

Maybe I'm biased because I grew up with it all around me, but I find hockey very accessible. Take offsides for example. With hockey you pretty can pretty much get the concept in a game or two. With soccer I know people older then I am who still don't know how offsides works in that sport.

Hey, I come from soccer land itself and even I don't know how offsides work. The one time the rule was explained to me, on the back of a 50p coin, it still didn't make any sense. Also it turned out to be an outdated version of the rule anyway.

With hockey, it kinda threw me off at first but in the two seconds it took to learn the rule it instantly made sense :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The last player on the defending team (not counting the goalie) forms an invisible "blue line" across the field. The only thing that's really different is there is a "when the ball is played" clause, meaning that attacking players have to be behind this "line" up until the instant the play is made (not when the ball passes "line" of the last defender, but when the action of making the pass is completed) to put the ball in the area behind the defense. At that moment the other attacking players are allowed to run across this "line" and receive the ball. This is why you see so many goals where an offending player runs in unmarked and heads one in, because they "timed the run" perfectly.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

I think it's funny that after baseball destroyed a 16/14 alignment that made some semblance of sense and respected tradition (keeping the leagues mostly separate), the NHL created a 16/14 alignment that doesn't really make a great deal of sense. The silver lining that we can all agree on, though, is that this marks the end of the Retarded Stepbrother Three Seed, which has long been one of the worst things about playoff hockey and had been out of the NBA for years now.

I'm starting to fear that they're not going to announce all this crap just to move the Coyotes. I think they're staying for good now, even if that means the league owning them forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived