Teams that got it right the FIRST time.

29texan

While I'm at it, and while this certainly isn't the franchise's first uniform, but the New Orleans Hornets got it right the first time:

desmond_kerry.jpg

I've said in the Hornets-to-Pelicans thread that teal can be seen as a variation of green, making the Hornets' colors a plausible twist on the Mardi Gras theme. Also, Teal/Purple was still prevalent and stayed true to the Hornets' traditional color scheme. Many uniform elements drew their inspiration from the Jazz, but the teal (along with the wordmarks and number font) set this set (including the yellow alternates) apart. The only thing I might put on those are arm stripes (matching the collar and side stripes).

The change to their current (soon-to-be former) set was more lateral than down, but the Hornets could've looked great today had they stuck with their initial New Orleans set.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

628x471.jpg

Gerald+Wallace+Raymond+Felton+Los+Angeles+98y7e_2mbDKl.jpg

tumblr_mcvaz8J2p61r10tndo1_1280.jpg

I violently disagree with all three of these.

I smell a troll.

I'll vouch for the Bobcats; I thought those uniforms were pretty sharp. I remember them mentioning that it was in reference to the racing culture so it seemed like it was, well, built for speed.

Bobcats are unique in getting it right the first time and wrong every time since!

Adelaide Crows...granted, they keep mucking it up with sidepanels they don't need, but whoever decided on the tricolor hoops should be knighted. Or at least never have to pay for beer again.

Adelaide+Crows+Training+Session+09_I9v6XXyol.jpg

Blues

AlArbour_display_image.jpg?1349749214

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bullđŸ¤¬

I can probably just say pretty much every franchise in the NHL had a great franchise-defining look as their inaugural uniforms. In fact there's very few I can think of that have actually significantly improved on that initial uniform, outside of maybe the Vancouver Canucks and Dallas Stars.

I disagree. See the Blackhawks and Penguins.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

- Kansas City Royals (1969)

1969-KC-Royals.jpg

Disagree. Their road uniforms from that year were pretty ugly:

kansascityroyalsdavemorehead1969jersey.jpg

In fact, I don't think the Royals have ever gotten it quite right. I think they came the closest with this set:

289494523.jpg

The only issues were that the drop shadows were black instead of gold and they used a block road wordmark instead of their lovely new "Kansas City" script.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Blues

AlArbour_display_image.jpg?1349749214

He's wearing glasses! OMG that's awesome.

i disagree. this is the best the blues have ever looked, imo.

C_2.jpg

Yeeeerrrrp. Agreed.

The glasses guy is Al Arbour if I am right.

My vote for the older Blues unis.

The very first NJ Devils (green and red) is, in my book, the very best first unis in NHL recent history. They brought different colors and interesting striping. I am one of the few who were sad they went to the current kit.

QUICK NOTE: I see very few Reebok EDGE unis mentionned here. I am not surprised.

1998fire.jpg

98%20US%20Open%20Cup.jpg

A consistent, unique, and instantly-identifiable set. Fire kits get worse Every. Single. Year.

Bring back the sleeve hoop!

(Although I have to admit that changing the color of the wordmark on the home jersey was an improvement...)

Kubik.jpg

QUICK NOTE: I see very few Reebok EDGE unis mentionned here. I am not surprised.

that's probably because this is a thread about "teams that got it right the first time." and there are no NHL teams young enough that their "first time" was in a reebok edge sweater.

i'd say right now is probably the best the bruins have ever looked... capitals too. and very possibly the thrashers/jets franchise.

they weren't mentioned because they dont fit in this topic. it's not "teams that are currently wearing their best looks ever."

I'd probably say the Blue Jackets have improved. The CBJ Stars and Stripes logo was never good, and neither was trying to pretend that Blue Jackets were bees. I never minded them having a bee mascot, but it shouldn't have made it onto an alternate logo.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

It was a bad choice, muddying the meaning behind the logo. Was it supposed to be strictly a Civil War reference, or a play on "yellow jackets"? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

About the only thing they could have done worse is if they also made the insect a Shawnee chief. C'mon, fellas. You missed maximum ambiguity!

Archived