Teams that got it right the FIRST time.

29texan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

99designs just called out the winner of their Miami Dolphins logo contest. What do you think? https://bitly.com/DolphinsLogoWinner

I'll go down the list:

1 - Winner: Looks like a shark the way its bending, tail fins in wrong direction

RunnerUps:

2- wayyyy too much gradient, too much white

3 - Dolpha-slug?

4 - like it, except tail fin looks ripped in half. Over-presented though. lose the lens flair and lighting effects

5 - too angry, weird word mark, also looks like shark

6 - attrocious black uniform and orange uniform. teal is fine. logo has awful shading

7 - good. less colors would help, nice change of direction. eye looks weird.

8 - saw a few designs like this (hartford whalers style). good idea, but they chose the wrong one. There were better ones that didnt close the M at the bottom

9 - this guy looks smug as :censored:, and frozen. no movement at all and thats with a motion line

10 - if the dolphin was rendered better this would make a really cool retro style t-shirt or even a stadium logo, but not good enough for team logo

11 - too fat, broken dorsal fin, and drop shadow makes it look flat and 2D

12 - pretty good.. he looks awful proud of his blow hole? simplfy this and it would be one of the best, but the word mark is overdesigned and u lose the cool effect of the fin in the D

13 - don;t think dolphins really work as just a head in the same way cat and bird logos do.

14 - madden 1994 custom team logo. whats that white notch under the M?

15 - over over over gradient. looks like radio station logo. D101.9 FM. Dolphin kinda looks like a dog to me

16 - not horrible, dolphin could be better rendered. looks like soccer which i know was the point, but.. its not a soccer team

17 - very nice... would be a good secondary/helmet and if they flush it out with a good wordmark it'd be a good primary.. but 3 shades of blue is a lot

18 - i like the D, the dolphin itself is a marlins style downgrade. triangle is grossly unnessasary, 2 different fonts on the wordmark and it all looks very seperate

19 - not a fan of the style, .. if this was a bet to see if you could design something using just the line tool its a good job

20 - cool idea, but idk if it works as an nfl football logo and the applications it would have to be used for.

21 - seen better versions of this idea.

22 - i want to hate it but i actually don't. its a little much, but i think with some tweaks it could be ok.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Jets1.png

I would love to see that dark Jets jersey as 3rd jersey... change that nameplate to the white letter nameplate and it will be perfect...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

As a Vancouverite the Grizzlies look never clicked for me. Teal works when you're an aquatic themed team (see, Sharks, Dolphins, Marlins). But for a team named after a bear? Not so much.

And for getting it right first, the Canucks did pretty good the first time. Yeah, the logo is not a masterpiece, but the overall look just works. They had a good, unique colour scheme for their league. We went though a couple of decades of constant uniform tweaks and two additional colour schemes just to realize we got it right the first time. Now, I'm not opposed to modernization though, I actually prefer the modified stick in rink.

Oct25110_orland1_b.jpg

As a Vancouverite the Grizzlies look never clicked for me. Teal works when you're an aquatic themed team (see, Sharks, Dolphins, Marlins). But for a team named after a bear? Not so much.

And for getting it right first, the Canucks did pretty good the first time. Yeah, the logo is not a masterpiece, but the overall look just works. They had a good, unique colour scheme for their league. We went though a couple of decades of constant uniform tweaks and two additional colour schemes just to realize we got it right the first time. Now, I'm not opposed to modernization though, I actually prefer the modified stick in rink.

Oct25110_orland1_b.jpg

I just realized how awesome of a color scheme that is.

My favorite helmet in all of football

Iowa%20Barnstormers%20-%20Jesse%20SchmidtWEB.jpg

but they knocked it out of the park with their original uniforms

Warner+Barnstormers.jpg

adac154d1d3e58fcb0fed84aa9016c9a_1M.png

These have got to be up in my Top 5 both of best sports uniforms and overall best sports identities ever in life. Perfect way to take a fun name, not take (yourself) so seriously, apply the fun to a uniform and come up with something unlike anything before or since.

(As an aside, I especially LOVE the fact that they kept the red to mostly trim, and let the black and gold live as the base.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My favorite helmet in all of football

Iowa%20Barnstormers%20-%20Jesse%20SchmidtWEB.jpg

but they knocked it out of the park with their original uniforms

Warner+Barnstormers.jpg

adac154d1d3e58fcb0fed84aa9016c9a_1M.png

These have got to be up in my Top 5 both of best sports uniforms and overall best sports identities ever in life. Perfect way to take a fun name, not take (yourself) so seriously, apply the fun to a uniform and come up with something unlike anything before or since.

(As an aside, I especially LOVE the fact that they kept the red to mostly trim, and let the black and gold live as the base.)

Couldn't agree more. The Barnstormers' helmets are right up there with the helmets of the Rams, Eagles, Vikings and Bengals in terms of creativity.

I can probably just say pretty much every franchise in the NHL had a great franchise-defining look as their inaugural uniforms. In fact there's very few I can think of that have actually significantly improved on that initial uniform, outside of maybe the Vancouver Canucks and Dallas Stars.

While I really like the Canucks original blue/green look, there's just something about the black, gold, and orange Pavel Bure era uniforms that I loved. Their white home jerseys from that era may be in my top 10 of all time. I dont know why, and I'm not embarrassed to admit it.

As for the Dallas Stars, their best look was always the jersey set with the star points and green road jersey. Their original jerseys in Dallas were much too bland and black.

Archived