Logos/Uniforms Gone Too Soon

BlackBolt3

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thing is so bizarre that I think it's pretty awesome... the whole Vancouver Grizzlies identity has really grown on me over the years. RIP.

r3htbw6ghslnszfkusgr6wvq6.gif

That. Is. Beautiful.

I love that they incorporated local art into their logo. That should've been their primary.

XhuwajiHaidaGrizzlyBear_l.jpg

I see my little topic has made a comeback. I updated the title to add uniforms, but y'all have done it yourselves.

Since we're including unis now, THIS Jags combo, and only this one:

bos_pats-jags_05.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

v2cs63mhao1kv2mfu2ybjr4fp.gif

This should have stuck around in some form, even in the minor leagues.

This logo always had that "Zephyr extreme mascot cap" feel to it. At the time, I was extremely happy to see it go, eventhough it was replaced with something that turned out to be just as inferior.

6uXNWAo.png

Add some sunglasses to it à la St. Lucie, and it's a perfect look for Dunedin. That thing belongs about 1,094 miles away from Toronto.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

If the Brewers' Germanic set hadn't been posted, I would've done so. Here goes anyway....

Cubs 94-96 roads & BP (I, too, was a lover of the mad bear)

512x.jpg

another short-lived Cubs gray-1990

front.jpg

Then, the Grizzlies' last Vancouver set, the whites of which only lasted one season before the Memphis move

72521456_display_image.jpg?129547856869A723545D7C4F6683D2DAD78D946D.jpg

yall gonna laugh at this next fact...there've been more predominantly teal guernseys in the history of the Australian Football League than there have been green ones. This Fremantle Dockers jumper, their first away jumper back in the mid 90s, still stands as the only predominantly green jumper ever worn regularly by an AFL club.

FREMANTLE(2).JPG

Speaking of green, a uniform that was scrapped just before the season it was supposed to debut...granted, not a great look at it, but oh well. This would've debuted the year before the Bucks dropped the purple/green set in favor of green/red.

$T2eC16F,!)QE9s3HCn-1BRVdHwU08g~~60_35.JPG

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

$T2eC16F,!)QE9s3HCn-1BRVdHwU08g~~60_35.JPG

If only THESE had been what they went with back in 1993. I always loved that Milwaukee script. Also...

...Dark Green & Lime Green > Green & Purple > Green & Red > Purple & Green

It's actually a great combination when the purple is secondary to the green.

A couple of seasons ago, Coventry City replaced their regular crest for a single year only. Lifted from programmes from the 1960s, it was only featured on the club's home shirt but I think it looked much better than the rather cluttered version they usually sport.

The clean, classy temporary version...

coventrycitycrest602027.jpg

And the version used before and since, with added colour, eagle, phoenix, flames, scrolls and so forth...

46164948coventry226.gif

Quite the mistake in my opinion, as I reckon the simple version is much, much better.

The best alternate logo in the NBA from the 2000s (so good that its in my sig). They got rid of it when the Brooklyn talks started to get serious, and when the Nets got their red jerseys.

new-jersey-nets-alternate-logo-primary.jpg

ighkqdigf0vglskm379fst8bl.gif

Just to add to that era of Nets basketball, probably the one grey jersey I've seen that wasn't that bad. With the blue font it looked hideous, but once they brought in the white it did for a pretty good combination of colors in my opinion. To me its almost the perfect third jersey for them. I wouldn't want to see this on the floor every night, but once a week or so, I don't mind it. I also like the fact that it says New Jersey. I not a fan of away jerseys that have the team nickname on it. I think the road jersey should identify where your from, just like I think its redundant to put the name of the city on your home jersey. The people at the game know where they are. I can figure out on my own that the Mavericks are from Dallas, or that the Knicks are from New York just by seeing all the memorabilia around the arena.

I'll never know what got into the Nets around 2005, 2006. For whatever reason they decided they could break up that Jason Kidd/Vince Carter/Richard Jefferson team up fast enough and I coincide the death of this jersey with the death of that team. No idea why they broke the team up, no idea why they ditched the jersey, no idea why they added the red jersey and even less of an idea why they decided to just drop the blue jersey altogether.

I thought it was one of the more underrated looks in NBA history.

They broke apart halfway through the 2007-08 season with the Jason Kidd trade. And the NJ logo was dropped, along with this jersey, after the 2006 season. They added the red jersey to sell merchandise I believe, and this later became the road jersey since the organization tried to get New Jersey out of their system. I agree with you pmoehrin, once this jersey was gone, so was the team and so was the New Jersey Nets organization. Still hurts today that they aren't in Jersey...

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

A couple of seasons ago, Coventry City replaced their regular crest for a single year only. Lifted from programmes from the 1960s, it was only featured on the club's home shirt but I think it looked much better than the rather cluttered version they usually sport.

The clean, classy temporary version...

coventrycitycrest602027.jpg

And the version used before and since, with added colour, eagle, phoenix, flames, scrolls and so forth...

46164948coventry226.gif

Quite the mistake in my opinion, as I reckon the simple version is much, much better.

I agree.

Of course, I also loved the updated crest that they abandoned after a collective howl of protest from the supporters:

new_ccfc_logo.gif

I was hoping they'd stick with the retro one after that; either is preferable to the coat of arms.

This thing is so bizarre that I think it's pretty awesome... the whole Vancouver Grizzlies identity has really grown on me over the years. RIP.

r3htbw6ghslnszfkusgr6wvq6.gif

That. Is. Beautiful.

I love that they incorporated local art into their logo. That should've been their primary.

XhuwajiHaidaGrizzlyBear_l.jpg

Man, I love Haida art--very distinct. Perhaps my favourite aboriginal art style. That logo is a little bit busy, though.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

pqln6egfczzzkgvyshwoi2ozu.gif

This. Love that logo and the green/blue uni's

I agree as well. Perfect colors!

Everything about it is better than what we have now. Bring this back and recolor the alternate...that would be a perfect set.

I was hoping they'd stick with the retro one after that; either is preferable to the coat of arms.

Yep, the problem with crests based on civic coat of arms is that they just end up looking way too cluttered - they're generally rather busy already even before you start adding scrolls, club names, dodgy Latin mottos and the like to them.

Just an element or two makes a better crest in my opinion, cleaner and easier to recognise.

Agreed - the requirements of a city's coat of arms and a sports logo are too disparate.

That said though, I liked the now abandoned practice some teams had of wearing their home city's coat of arms for cup finals - one of those little things that helped make the occasion feel a bit different from a regular game. Of course, the tradition predated a lot of clubs wearing crests of their own design so it's disappeared over the years - that being said, I think Manchester City revived it a couple of years back though.

Archived