Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have a few qualms with these new uniforms. First, I would have inversed the wordmark and the number colors on the home whites so the numbers are teal. Ditto on the back. Second, I would have made teal the first road uniform. Otherwise, these are great uniforms. These are one of the top ten looks in the NBA, maybe top five. Hornet fans--the most important people in this equation--are sure to eat these up. The little things we're griping about here are relatively unimportant because they got the big things extremely right.

They explained why they made Teal e alternate, and it actually made great sense.

During all of their research and polling of fans teal was overwhelmingly the favorite of the colors. The throwback teal jerseys are iconic and still very popular.

They wanted to rep Hornets on the home & away jerseys this year to signify that the name has returned. That allowed them to put Charlotte on the teal alternate, which also matches the original uniform.

By making teal the alternate it can be worn 18-20 times per year and at home. That way they can wear them at home and let their fans see them up close in person opposed to just on tv during road games. Yes, road uniforms are worn at home by teams but only allowed 1-3 times per year. As the alternate they can wear them in front of Charlotte fans much more often.

It's their way of not only honoring the old team but giving fans what they want. The Charlotte Teal, stripes that incorporate light blue, overlapping collar, & waist logo are all subtle yet great tributes to the original uniform.

They did a great job of creating something entirely new but still incorporating the history into them. People on here can nitpick all they want but locals and fans of the team are gonna love these jerseys.

I'm not sure why they went through the trouble of obtaining the old Hornets name if they were going to go in a direction that evokes next to nothing about the original franchise - especially the one thing that resonated with most fans (at least nationally), which was the uniforms and logos.

1. Everything is squareish and with sharp angles. The original Hornets had nicely rounded everything. There had to be a happy medium in there somewhere that was still clearly evolutionary, but not revolutionary.

2. No stripes? WTF. That's the #2 thing that anyone thinks of when they think of the old Hornets uniforms (#1 being the color). I realize that they're not trying to replicate the old team, but again - why go through the trouble to be nostalgic and get the name back if you're not going to bring back even hints of the most well-known imagery? It wouldn't even look throwbacky - it could have been done very tastefully.

3. Those numbers... wow. They went bold with huge numbers and a squarish font, but then tried to be minimalistish and eschew the outline. You can rarely have it both ways, and in this case it failed. Again, they could not have come up with a font that contrasted their old look more than this one. Also, open-top 4s don't belong on sports uniforms.

4. I was promised translucent side panels. "Color without color", to make a statement against racism or something.

5. I would say purple over teal for the road uniforms was a poor choice, but the explanation of wanting to wear teal at home up to 20 games makes some sense, so cool.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

OK, they look way better in the video. Glad that there are actually four stripes. I give it a 7/10 right now.

hvct34.jpg11rqfkj.jpg

WOW! That 4th stripe thing is an ingenious way to add a touch of the original Hornets multicolor stripe look, while remaining comtemporary yet perfectly identifiable to the team's origin...

charlotte%20hornets%20jersey.jpeg2h2grqc.jpg

The guy that came up with this is an absolute genius!

Also, great for them for not adding those god darn sleeves! My only minor complaint is the overly large number on the front. Shrink it just a little, and I don't know what else they could do to perfect em.

The National Basketball Association is moving its logo patch to the back of team jerseys next season, citing stylistic reasons, the league said.

The logo, which depicts a player dribbling with his left hand, had been on the front of both uniform jerseys and shorts.

The switch comes as league owners ponder whether to put advertisements on uniforms for the first time. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver this year said uniform ads, which are common elsewhere in the world, are inevitable. Last year, he said it would probably happen within five years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/nba-moving-logo-to-back-of-jerseys-as-owners-mull-uniform-ads.html

If that happens the Hornets are the only team in the NBA that won't be running around with a tacky McDonald's or Papa John's logo and looking hideous.

He'll pay the fee and slap his Jordan Brand Jumpman Logo on his team's uniform.

im sure the nba would only allow advertisers that arent competitors of official nba partners, so I see no jump man logo being allowed.

If that happens the Hornets are the only team in the NBA that won't be running around with a tacky McDonald's or Papa John's logo and looking hideous.

He'll pay the fee and slap his Jordan Brand Jumpman Logo on his team's uniform.

im sure the nba would only allow advertisers that arent competitors of official nba partners, so I see no jump man logo being allowed.

Jordan Brand owns a race team. The Jumpman logo is used for that and he could designate it as such. There's always a loophole.

The National Basketball Association is moving its logo patch to the back of team jerseys next season, citing stylistic reasons, the league said.

The logo, which depicts a player dribbling with his left hand, had been on the front of both uniform jerseys and shorts.

The switch comes as league owners ponder whether to put advertisements on uniforms for the first time. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver this year said uniform ads, which are common elsewhere in the world, are inevitable. Last year, he said it would probably happen within five years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/nba-moving-logo-to-back-of-jerseys-as-owners-mull-uniform-ads.html

All teams are doing this. Teams like the Bulls and Warriors who already have logos above the player names will replace those team logos with the league logo

Go A's!

It's their way of not only honoring the old team but giving fans what they want. The Charlotte Teal, stripes that incorporate light blue, overlapping collar, & waist logo are all subtle yet great tributes to the original uniform.

They did a great job of creating something entirely new but still incorporating the history into them. People on here can nitpick all they want but locals and fans of the team are gonna love these jerseys.

I'm sorry, but the overlapping collar and waist logo (specifically the fact that it's on a piece of fabric over the waistband and not a clean part of the waistband) are my least favorite parts of this uniform, along with the CHARLOTTE on an alternate that will be worn at home (works when it's worn away, though). Yes, I know that the old unis had CHARLOTTE on the home, away, and alt, along with the overlapping collar and waist logo, but you're allowed to correct past mistakes when you're updating a look. That said, I think the side stripes are ingenious in concept and implementation.

And yes, ultimately my opinion may not mean much for many reasons but especially because I'm not a fan of the team and won't be buying any of their merchandise anyways, but I think this board is more about analyzing sports design in general, and not only if you're a fan of the team.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

OK, they look way better in the video. Glad that there are actually four stripes. I give it a 7/10 right now.

hvct34.jpg11rqfkj.jpg

I actually really like this side panel but why in the world is it only on one side of the uniform? It makes them look incomplete. Other than that and the size of the numbers I like these. I'm a big fan of the mismatched color of the name and numbers.

Honestly everything solid about the unis was already introduced beforehand (color scheme, Hornets script). The striping is way to bland for them, sure a honeycomb pattern would have been obvious but it also would stand out without being gaudy. I'm also not big on the Charlotte script because it doesn't have the stinger on both sides.

But hey, there's nothing offensively bad about it. I have no problem with the collar, it's meh at best but it's not some ugly Adidas wishbone so I'm good. Also I don't mind the stripes being on one side because it at least adds something unique about their identity besides the color scheme.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

hvct34.jpg11rqfkj.jpg

I actually really like this side panel but why in the world is it only on one side of the uniform? It makes them look incomplete. Other than that and the size of the numbers I like these. I'm a big fan of the mismatched color of the name and numbers.

I think the asymmetry is my favorite element of the new uniforms. So `90s. Pretty much every team has symmetrical sides. I like that the Hornets are being a little different with it and using a `90s design

Go A's!

Number outline in different colour and pinstripes (not just the side panel) would have made them amazing. Right now they are good but a little too much on the plain and simple side of things.

7.5/10.

Archived