Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first saw the unis, I was underwhelmed by the lack of pinstripes that were so much anticipated, but then I started to like them despite not having them. Now I like everything about the new unis starting from the collar and ending with the different color wordmark and non-outlined number and the fonts, apart from the asymmetrical side panels, which I didn't like dating back to the 90's designs either. I just don't see a reason for it other than it might've looked too busy, had they been on both sides, as someone had already mentioned here. I have to see the unis in action, maybe I'll get used to it.

Having outlines on numbers is starting to look dated, and not having them looks more clean and sharp. I also don't have a problem with the size of the numbers, they look good to me.

The color-scheme is outstanding indeed. I was skeptical, when it became apparent that the road uni will be purple, but the unis have such a good color balance, that now I even prefer it as the road uni.

While I like the CH-crown logo on the shorts, I would've put it on the waist instead of the bee silhoutte, and put that one on the back (had the NBA logo not been moved there) or on the butt.

All in all, great job by Jordan!

When I first saw the unis, I was underwhelmed by the lack of pinstripes that were so much anticipated, but then I started to like them despite not having them. Now I like everything about the new unis starting from the collar and ending with the different color wordmark and non-outlined number and the fonts, apart from the asymmetrical side panels, which I didn't like dating back to the 90's designs either. I just don't see a reason for it other than it might've looked too busy, had they been on both sides, as someone had already mentioned here. I have to see the unis in action, maybe I'll get used to it.

Having outlines on numbers is starting to look dated, and not having them looks more clean and sharp. I also don't have a problem with the size of the numbers, they look good to me.

The color-scheme is outstanding indeed. I was skeptical, when it became apparent that the road uni will be purple, but the unis have such a good color balance, that now I even prefer it as the road uni.

While I like the CH-crown logo on the shorts, I would've put it on the waist instead of the bee silhoutte, and put that one on the back (had the NBA logo not been moved there) or on the butt.

Nice analysis. As far as purple being the road uni and teal being alternate, I wonder if the team is planning on having the teals being the uniforms worn in the home opener, which will be a very big deal here in Charlotte. That would be awesome if they wore teal for that first home game.

As for the shorts (and this question is open for anyone to answer), why do you think they went with the CH-crown logo for both primary uniforms in such a prime real estate spot? I like the logo, but I think the side profile hornet is a bit stronger and depicts motion and all that. The CH-crown doesn't seem to be a logo the team is highlighting much, until now on the shorts. Just wondering.

Nice analysis. As far as purple being the road uni and teal being alternate, I wonder if the team is planning on having the teals being the uniforms worn in the home opener, which will be a very big deal here in Charlotte. That would be awesome if they wore teal for that first home game.

As for the shorts (and this question is open for anyone to answer), why do you think they went with the CH-crown logo for both primary uniforms in such a prime real estate spot? I like the logo, but I think the side profile hornet is a bit stronger and depicts motion and all that. The CH-crown doesn't seem to be a logo the team is highlighting much, until now on the shorts. Just wondering.

Maybe the CH-crown is compensating for the lack of Charlotte on the tops? This way Charlotte still makes it on the uni's in some way.

ts3iF7l.jpg?1

.:Braves...Panthers...Catamounts:.

So. I have to admit the non symmetrical use of colors was annoying me with these jerseys. The collar, word mark, numbers, and belt silhouette logo colors not matching up symmetrically across the uniforms was a big negative for me. BUT, I have cured my madness and actually with the way I've realized I can look at it, I really enjoy these designs much more. So if any of you are as bothered by it as me hopefully this little trick will help put your mind at ease as well. :P Lets take a closer look:

hornets.jpg

Heres the breakdown. Home has teal collar, teal word mark, purple number, teal logo. Away has teal collar, white word mark, teal number, teal logo. Alternate has purple collar, white word mark, purple number, and white logo. ITS MADNESS. But if its broken down numerically then I've found it to work out quite well. I looked at it and said each part (collar, word mark, number, logo) is represented by 1. If two colors repeat then you add them up (example teal followed by teal would be 2, but teal followed by white would be 1 and 1). Looking at it this way I got the following breakdown.

Home Away Alternate

2 1 1

1 1 1

1 2 1

I know Im taking this all way too far but I was so happy when I figured out a way to make sense of the design choices. So home is 2-1-1. Road uniforms are opposite of home uniforms so naturally the sequence would also be opposite which it is 1-1-2. Alternate uniform is a wild card that can be used home and away so its simply spread out evenly as 1-1-1-1. I hope this makes sense to someone so I don't look completely effin crazy haha. But anyway thats the new way I look at this set. I look at the colors as a numeric pattern and like I said its helped me to like them much much more.

Man, I love these boards. :P

I'm an obsessive nutjob. I know

You'll fit right in.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a graphic designer that is how I see...

We're at a point where color theory helps having single colored numbers.

Color theory, huh? I clearly explained my point, if you didn't notice. If you think graphic design education is all about color theory, you clearly don't have a clue what graphic design is about.

Thanks. I really think Spiderbat may have a valid point in that the crown logo adds a representation of Charlotte onto the uniform. Another reason I could think of is that the crown logo is more "mature" compared to the side profile hornet, which may come across as cartoonish. Personally, I would've preferred the primary hornet without the wordmark there, on the alternate uni. And finally, a symmetrical logo just fits a little better in that spot, in my opinion.

Archived