Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

I would have preferred the below logo, as I don't like logos that can't stand alone from the wordmark...but overall this rebrand could of gone a lot worse based on recent NBA rebrands.

rebrand.jpg

On the pyramid there's a standalone version that looks just fine imo.

If you're referring to the main logo without the wordmark - I hadn't seen that at the time of this comment. It looks pretty good, though it looks a bit unclear to me - is the middle part meant to be the backboard or the body of the Hornet. Or both? Overall I prefer the rebrand that I included in my post (by Jordan Sain), but that logo is probably too close to Hugo, which Charlotte don't have the rights to use as a current primary.

No. He means the one on here (http://backbuzzcity.com/hornets-logo-system-pyramid.html) that is just the head of Hugo.

The real importance of this rebrand is that there is one less ugly team and one more nice one.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I have a new favorite logo in the NBA. Maybe part of it is to see something fresh.

But my new top 5 NBA identities:

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Pelicans

Miami Heat

Atlanta Hawks

Minnesota Timberwolves (Particularly the secondary)

ugh pelicans is your #2, how it barely looks like a pelican

Wow. I have a new favorite logo in the NBA. Maybe part of it is to see something fresh.

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Pelicans

Miami Heat

Atlanta Hawks

Looks like a Pelican to me.

zbBdwZI.jpg

2681_new_orleans_pelicans-primary-2014.p

bSLCtu2.png

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Pelicans

Miami Heat

Atlanta Hawks

zbBdwZI.jpg

Cool pic.

I just hate the colours and unis.

Jaguars

Charlotte Hornets

New Orleans Pelicans

Miami Heat

Atlanta Hawks

zbBdwZI.jpg

Cool pic.

I just hate the colours and unis.

Agreed. The uniforms aren't even awful, but how can so many team get the colors wrong? Navy, Red, and Gold are just an awful combo that is tried again over and over. Do something unique if you're the Pelicans. How about Teal and Red? Blue and Green? Green and Orange?

I like it all a lot. Shocked to hear all the hate for Hugo. I like removing the ball from his hand. The old one got a bit clunky and the orange came out of nowhere. Don't know the Charlotte market well, but I have a feeling the Hugo logo will be a hit and end up being the primary down the road. Your colors are teal and purple and you're worried about your logo being goofy? The entire brand history is lighthearted. I really like the silhouette hornet. Didn't they use something like that early on as a secondary? Also...where's the light blue? Thought it'd be used more. Pinstripes maybe?

I understand the Bobcats had to look different than the original Hornets due to copyrights with the Pelicans but how is that second logo not close enough to the old HUGO? I mean if a team outside of the NBA used that, they would definitely get a cease and desist letter in the mail.

And the funniest part about it all is that while they were trying to avoid looking like the old Hornets they ended up creating a primary image that looks eerily similar to New Orleans' Fleur De Bee.

I've mentioned this before, but the Pelicans' logo has always looked to me like Killface from Frisky Dingo with a beak and wings.

Red-White-and-Killface.jpg

G-damnit :D Can't...unsee...

Ok...any logo set that requires a "pyramid" to sort out is a bit over-thought. The Hugo head/wordmark logo, the Buzz City logo, the wordmark-less variant of the primary, and the silhouette hornet are all entirely unnecessary.

I think the only things I'm not a huge fan of, are the new Hugo logos. It kind of muddles the identity. I hope it's used in a very limited capacity. Maybe made for use on a fauxback of some sort? (I'm guessing the actual old hornets logos are off-limits).

All-in-all, beautifully done. No complaints otherwise.

I hope the wordmarks end up having an outline, I'm typically not a fan of one-color wordmarks.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Hornets-Logo-Pyramid-Layout.png

I love this package. I am, for the most part a Wizards (Bullets) fan and lend my support more in their direction. I tried to support the Bobcats in the beginning stages, but was not thrilled with the product. It was very inferior to what they had before and felt like a waste of a good opportunity to do something better. I was very disappointed because I enjoyed the Wiz and the Hornets as a kid and loved the Hornets brand. So, when I heard about the change in identity for the 2014 season I was thrilled. I can safely say this new package is a great new start for the team and I'll gladly sport some new Hornets gear next season.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I can't wait to see the first Charlotte Hornets Vs. New Orleans Pelicans game. It's going to be awkward. Kinda like the first Cleveland Browns Vs. Baltimore Ravens game but worse.

This whole round of awkwardness could have been avoided if the Hornets v.1 never relocated from Charlotte. Then, the NBA would have awarded a brand new franchise in New Orleans from scratch (Pelicans), then had them relocated to OKC to become the Thunder. Thus, the Sonics would never have been relocated from Seatttle...and everyone would have been happy.

Archived