Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol Mccall my phone auto correct either works or it doesn't. Thats one reason why I hate posting from my phone.

As far as the new Hugo logo im glad they updated iit.the league wouldn't allowed them to use the old logo anyway. and we needed something modern. Save the original for Hardwood classic nights

shado_logo.gif

I can't picture any of these new primary logos being on the back of Starter jackets or being worn in the same way as the old stuff was. I really think that they lost a lot of their original charm with this new set. As I stated before, IMO it's well done, but not inspiring, not charming, not something that you can "bond" with or get attached to, it's just not... right.

If they stress the purple over the teal in their uniforms, that would only make it worse. This is not a progression or continuation of the old Hornets. This is a whole new thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Frank%20Hurt%20Hornet%20logo_JPG.jpg
1617_charlotte__hornets_-secondary-2015.

This other Hornet logo I found has a similar ball-stinger.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It's not a ball though. That deisng would have been preferable to forcing a basketball into his gut.

Even his fighting fists would have given the new logo a bit of whimsical character that it's sorely lacking. I like the "beak" of the new one better. The wings are a toss up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can't picture any of these new primary logos being on the back of Starter jackets or being worn in the same way as the old stuff was. I really think that they lost a lot of their original charm with this new set. As I stated before, IMO it's well done, but not inspiring, not charming, not something that you can "bond" with or get attached to, it's just not... right.

I love what I've seen so far, but I have to agree. There's something soulless about these logos, much like the majority of new logos.

I dunno, maybe it's just down to age. I was 10 when I first saw the original Hornets logo, and it was love at first sight. But looking at it now, it's not a great logo - there's a lot of things that bug me (no pun intended) about it, and I think the 2008 update was much superior. Maybe if I was 10 now I'd feel the same way about these new logos, I dunno.

If they stress the purple over the teal in their uniforms, that would only make it worse. This is not a progression or continuation of the old Hornets. This is a whole new thing.

Well, they're not the old Hornets, that team is in NOLA. As such, a fresh approach to the identity is a good thing.

And objectively, setting nostalgia aside, the original Hugo logo wasn't major-league quality, IMO. Too goofy and cartoony, and the thin linework made it look more like an illustration than a logo. The new logo is so much stronger and more professional-looking.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the bee has got to be
Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee
When half the bee is not a bee
Due to some ancient injury?

La dee dee, one two three,
Hugo the half a bee.
A B C D E F G,
Hugo the half a bee.

Is this wretched demi-bee,
Half-asleep upon my knee,
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Hugo the half a bee!

Fiddle de dum, Fiddle de dee,
Hugo the half a bee.
Ho ho ho, tee hee hee,
Hugo the half a bee.

I love this hive, employee-ee,
Bisected accidentally,
One summer afternoon by me,
I love him carnally.

He loves him carnally,
Semi-carnally.

The End

Cyril Connolly?

No, semi-carnally

Oh
Cyril Connoly

tigercatssignature-1.png

With all of the angles and straight lines in the wordmark, it's not reminiscent at all of the old Charlotte Hornets. It's more of an update to the New Orleans Hornets than the original Charlotte team.

Well...they did bring this guy back, something that was exclusive to the original franchise only...

Hornets7-590x524.png

HornetsVenom_zps4681becc.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

With all of the angles and straight lines in the wordmark, it's not reminiscent at all of the old Charlotte Hornets. It's more of an update to the New Orleans Hornets than the original Charlotte team.

Well...they did bring this guy back, something that was exclusive to the original franchise only...

Hornets7-590x524.png

HornetsVenom_zps4681becc.png

Charlotte is WAY for Cletus Cassidy than Eddie Brock. ;)

you're right, it's not right for the 90s. but it is right for the modern version of the team. the overall aesthetic (and with so many logos, all looking so different that's a wide area) it fits in fine. there's plenty i dont like about it (i'll write more later) but this identity is going to sell like crazy. i promise you it is an identity that a large audience will connect with and love

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Almost everything about the Bobcats' identity blew, but I loved that front-facing cat logo.

---------------------------

Overall, I think it's pretty good. I'm gonna resist going off-track and ranting about how unnecessary this is, so I'll continue on. I agree with BBTV on a few points. First, while it's a nice set, it lacks character. The hornet looks like a robot, and it looks as though it's trying (and failing) to mix cartoony with seriousness/professionalism ("to do two things at once is to do neither"). As well, the ball is terribly forced and looks awful. The re-done stinger sticks out too much and it looks really awkward how he's thrusting it forward like that. The crowned-"C"/ honeycomb logo is brilliant, but after that, there are far too many logos. It's a good identity, but certainly not the "OMGZ beatuftil!!!11" a lot of people are calling it (whether in their thread or not).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Almost everything about the Bobcats' identity blew, but I loved that front-facing cat logo.

---------------------------

Overall, I think it's pretty good. I'm gonna resist going off-track and ranting about how unnecessary this is, so I'll continue on. I agree with BBTV on a few points. First, while it's a nice set, it lacks character. The hornet looks like a robot, and it looks as though it's trying (and failing) to mix cartoony with seriousness/professionalism ("to do two things at once is to do neither"). As well, the ball is terribly forced and looks awful. The re-done stinger sticks out too much and it looks really awkward how he's thrusting it forward like that. The crowned-"C"/ honeycomb logo is brilliant, but after that, there are far too many logos. It's a good identity, but certainly not the "OMGZ beatuftil!!!11" a lot of people are calling it (whether in their thread or not).

I would actually love to hear your opinion on this. If you've ever spent any extended amount of time in the Charlotte area you would know how much this means to the city.

---

I haven't seen these put side by side yet so here goes:

2m3fic7.jpg

This kind of feels like when Creighton redid their logo, everybody was raving OMG BEST BLUE JAY LOGO EVAH, and I was just kind of like, "Okay. It's decent."

I would've preferred an updated angry Hugo, like the modernization posted earlier. That would be an instant best logo in the NBA.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

As someone who's loved the Hornets brand and followed it from Charlotte to my state and back to Charlotte, I'm really happy that they went the "Winnipeg Jets 2.0" route. One reason why I was bitter about the Hornets brand leaving New Orleans is that I feared that they were just going to slap "updated" logos and jerseys on the Bobcats and call it a day, thus sticking an identity I loved on a team I never really cared about.

Maybe it's just me, but seeing that they actually took the time to make it clear that this is the "new" Charlotte Hornets really appeals to me. It actually makes it easier for me to like and follow the former Bobcats, rather than resent them for pretending to be the Muggsy/Zo/LJ team I once knew. On the other side of the coin, seeing that the Pelicans' look is average and uninspired (instead of displaying the "local flavor" that they claimed was the reason for the change) has made it harder for me to fully accept this new incarnation of the original Hornets.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I would actually love to hear your opinion on this. If you've ever spent any extended amount of time in the Charlotte area you would know how much this means to the city.

I don't like to speak for other people but I think I can here as BigBubba and I tend to agree on this issue.

It's "unnecessary" because, despite the name change, the team that was the Charlotte Hornets is now playing in New Orleans. The Charlotte Bobcats were never the Hornets and to pretend that they are is disingenuous.

Archived