Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like this look. It's not perfect, but it's really good and I think the uniforms will be even better. I like the secondary that looks more like the old logo better than the primary. But the primary has been growing on me ever since I first saw it. I also think the wordmark looks a little too NFL-like, but it's still pretty good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's perfect!

They did all absolutely right. Fresh and sharp new primary logo, cartoon Hugo the Hornet logo in traditional style to appeal the nostalgics, sharp secondary logos, a beehive-shaped tertiary logo, keeping the crown logo. Wow!

Now, let's hope they don't blow the final part of the unveiling by making the road jerseys purple!

I've been waiting 12 damn years for this and it didn't disappoint! Huge Hornets fan growing up, but I have despised every single aspect of the Bobcats brand since day 1. The name, colors, logos, uniforms, court designs. All of it has been complete piles of ****. So Christmas has come early! I really hope they put out some nice unis to go with these logos. Overall I'm verrrrrry happy with what they've done so far. Welcome back Hornets!

I mean just look at how much better this stuff is. From the ugliest crap in the NBA to one of the best imo.

newidentity.png

Nice looking logos. I hope they add a third color to their uniforms, an orange or a yellow trim.

nujmeFi.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Not bad overall. Not the best possible either. Too much of late 90's/early 2000's aesthetics, like over-aggressiveness and very sharp edges. Some forced elements are present, like the ball in the tail and the hexagon in the background of both the primary and tertiary logos (the one without the wordmark). Both would be better without it, and there are too much elements in the primary (I hope it won't be on centercourt). I actually like the updated cartoony Hugo more, and would've preferred it as the primary logo to retain the campy feel of the old brand. The hexagon logos are great. I'll give the logo package a B. The Wizards' is still the best of all recent rebrands, not including the primary recolor that is.

And did anyone notice that Hugo is wearing Air Jordan 11's? :) Edit: Ah, was already mentioned.

Nice looking logos. I hope they add a third color to their uniforms, an orange or a yellow trim.

nujmeFi.gif

They already have Gray in there...and we all know that there were up to three additional colors (accidentally) listed in that leaked document.

If I may interrupt the circle jerk for a moment, I'd like to contribute some dissenting opinions.

1a - With all of the angles and straight lines in the wordmark, it's not reminiscent at all of the old Charlotte Hornets. It's more of an update to the New Orleans Hornets than the original Charlotte team. The Charlotte Hornets had a very "fun" look to them - Hugo, rounded / soft letters in the wordmarks, a ton of colors on the jerseys, etc. This is very serious, and dare I say, soulless.

1b - The wordmark is of the same style as the Houston Texans, Atl Falcons, and (if you look at the way it's shaped in the primary logo) the Eagles. Many on the board have criticized those other teams for going with similar designs (can't remember if they all used the same designer) but that's what we got here as well (minus the small city name above it.) There's nothing new about this - it's like a lot of other recently-designed wordmarks used by NFL and college teams.

2 - The logos are all very well rendered. Can't argue that. However, angry / intimidating mascot logos just seem better suited for minor league or college rather than pro teams. The Admiral hit it on the head when he said it reminded him of minor league baseball logos. I do like the new Hugo logo, and would like to see that as the primary, and then use the other "fiercer" versions as supporting logos. That would be closer to the feel of the original franchise. Hugo, goofy / cartoonish as he is, has a soul. These are certainly not "corporate" marks like we've seen with teams like the Dolphins and Marlins, however they're pretty close.

3. The gray stroke is unnecessary.

4. The basketballs look extremely forced, and are unnecessary. Why on earth would his stomach be comprised of a basketball? Is he some kind of mutant? The ball in the profile logo is comically out of place. The ball in Hugo as well. In the other logos, it kind of looks like he's holding the ball somehow, so that's not as bad.

5. The C logo is very well done.

There's certainly nothing bad or wrong with this - but let's not pretend it's an "update". It's a new package that would be fit for an expansion team. 90% of the soul of the original logo package has been lost and replaced with a contemporary / formuliac branding package. AGAIN - it's not "bad". In fact, it's "good". It's just not what it claims to be.

Sorry I'm not rushing to get on the bandwagon and claim that it's the "best logo update ever" like so many are posting. Frankly, even if you like it (and I certainly do understand why people like it), the hyperbole used in many of these posts is silly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never disagreed with that. I just think that the string of "instantly my favorite logo!" and "best logo update ever!" posts are a little over the top, and possibly born out of the same bandwagon mentality that works in the other direction when a poor logo set is unveiled.

I totally get that those may be legit feelings, and I can understand why. I just don't get how one fan feel that strongly about something instantly, without really giving it a full critical review. I think that people really wanted to like this, and that's part of what's happening here. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone who's posted an opinion, nor should it matter - at the end of the day, you either like it or you don't, and the reasons don't really matter - it's the race to one-up each other with over-the-top comments that's disturbing. Again, that's not a blanket statement that applies to everyone, nor is it a generalization.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never disagreed with that. I just think that the string of "instantly my favorite logo!" and "best logo update ever!" posts are a little over the top, and possibly born out of the same bandwagon mentality that works in the other direction when a poor logo set is unveiled.

I totally get that those may be legit feelings, and I can understand why. I just don't get how one fan feel that strongly about something instantly, without really giving it a full critical review. I think that people really wanted to like this, and that's part of what's happening here. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone who's posted an opinion, nor should it matter - at the end of the day, you either like it or you don't, and the reasons don't really matter - it's the race to one-up each other with over-the-top comments that's disturbing. Again, that's not a blanket statement that applies to everyone, nor is it a generalization.

i think that it might because it was different than what we were expecting in a good way. we were hearing things about hugo being muscular now and hoping for the opposite, and then when we get this which is very similar to the original hugo, but also had new logos that were edgier and not cartoony muscular bugs flying around.

Evolution of Hugo:

hOcJu9r.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Regarding this supposed rule which prevents teams from returning to discarded logos: didn't the Jazz and the Sixers do just that?

Not that I am complaining about the Hornets' new logos! But it seems to me that this rule must be pretty new.

The Jazz didn't discard their primary logo, though... they've recolored it, but it's been mostly the same as the '90s logo.

And the Sixers tweaked the font and added a box around their logo for the primary, so that isn't really the same as their old one.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived