Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

From Rufus on Fire (apologies if this is repeated, but it's new to me):

But the NBA wouldn't just let Charlotte simply return to use of the old Hornets logo, apparently. "The NBA standards wouldn't allow us to just go back and pull the old Hornets logo out, but it's a part of our legacy brand. [...] But our new brand going forward, we think will connect with all of our fans and our community throughout the Carolina," Whitfield said.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it! Looks like the NBA wouldn't let them use the old logo.

From the Charlotte Observer:

Similar as the new-look Hornets will be to the old look, they didn't have the option to simply adopt exact replicas from the 1990s.

"We wanted to connect to the historical element, but we had to stay by league standards," said team president Fred Whitfield. "That forced us to refresh, rather than just go back to the old look."

Whitfield was referring to NBA rules that discarded logos go under league control and are marketed separately under what the NBA calls its "Hardwood Classics" brand.

That's the brand the Bobcats currently sell in their team store, with the original Hornets logos or replicas of jerseys worn by Larry Johnson or Alonzo Mourning. Whitfield said the team will start selling new Hornets-logo merchandise around the weekend of Jan. 18.

ts3iF7l.jpg?1

.:Braves...Panthers...Catamounts:.

The Happy Hugo logo is exclusive to the mascot. They wanted to give Hugo his own brand. I don't believe it will be a part of the uniforms.

Well, that's stupid. It's a great update to the last few Hugo-based logos.

I wasn't so passionately behind bringing back the Charlotte Hornets that I'll sign off on anything. I was fine with trying to make Bobcats work. This is pretty good, but hardly great. It's better than the Pelicans, but I don't know what isn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The new logo is pretty cool. But new Hugo looks kinda dumb. Like he's about to do a little jig or something. I could do without the side view hornet logo also... The CH logo is pretty awesome.

Overall, it's nice to have the Charlotte Hornets in the Association

Exactly my thoughts. Looks like he's doing a jig. Like a cartoon insect you would see in a colouring book.

NBA rules that discarded logos go under league control and are marketed separately under what the NBA calls its "Hardwood Classics" brand.

Well, that's interesting. That might also help to explain the recolor trend: teams don't want to forfeit their intellectual property.

If the NBA keeps this rule up, eventually teams will have 10-15 different logos as "official" logos just so they maintain control of them..

In Memphis, I've noticed a huge uptick in available merchandise with the Vancouver era logos (which they used in MEM the first three years at the Pyramid). I wonder if the league gets a bigger cut of that revenue since those are "classic" logos.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I wasn't so passionately behind bringing back the Charlotte Hornets that I'll sign off on anything. I was fine with trying to make Bobcats work. This is pretty good, but hardly great. It's better than the Pelicans, but I don't know what isn't.

Heh, I was waiting for someone to bring that up... :P

Curse Benson and his half-assed "rebrand." You don't just trash a great identity because it's "not local."

I doubted that the Hornets would use much of their previous brand, and so far it looks like my hunch was correct. Gotta keep that throwback business flowing.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

That policy of having to surrender your old logos back to the league is kinda sketchy, I have to say. Those should belong to the teams themselves unless they negotiate otherwise. Maybe defunct teams should be under league control, but I don't see why, say, a Pistons throwback should be central revenue and not Detroit revenue.

Also, I just want to reiterate how much I love that the Winnipeg Jets don't own any of the Atlanta Thrashers' intellectual property and so that whole thing just has to sit in a metaphorical crawlspace forever.

I think we'll see the primary logo (with wordmark) at center court, profile logo as secondary logos on the court, the CH-crown will be on the uniform (back of the neck), and the front view logo (no wordmark) on the shorts.

Just a guess.

I like it. I think the CH-crown logo is outstanding. The rest are top notch.

The primary logo is pretty close to some of the concepts we saw.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived