Charlotte Hornets?

Lights Out

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More to make the point that I have no emotional attachment to a city - to show how unbiased and unattached I am.

Yes, but plenty of people with no attachment to the city have weighed in on the opposite side of things. As much as you want to play the "unbiased observer" card, well so can I.
I know your Canadian now
As opposed to when I was Argentinian?

Would it not be odd for the Pelican's to host a throwback/legends night for ex-players that never played a minute of basketball in their city?

No, it would not be odd. Just as it wasn't odd for the Dodgers to host a Roy Campanella Night at the Colliseum in 1959, in a city where Campanella never played.

$T2eC16JHJGsFFMsZgL3rBS,GDuQ+!w~~60_35.J

The important thing is that he played for the franchise. And, before any wiseguy claims that it's down to the nickname, let me state that the nickname means nothing. Sometimes a relocated team changes its nickname; sometimes it doesn't. Likewise, sometimes a team changes its nickname without moving (Washington Bullets, Houston Colt .45s). Adopting a new nickname does not equate to creating a new franchise.

Also, bringing up the owners is just erecting a straw man. Defenders of franchise continuity don't care about who the owners are; the identity of a team's owner means nothing. Teams are sold all the time; this doesn't create new franchises. A franchise remains one entity regardless of changes of name, location, or ownership.

There is one right way to handle the records of a relocated team: the way the NBA's Pistons, Lakers, Royals/Kings, and Warriors did it; the way the NFL's Cardinals, Redskins, Rams, and Colts did it; the way the NHL's Flames and Scouts/Rockies/Devils did it; the way Major League Baseball's Braves, A's, Browns/Orioles, Dodgers, Giants, and Senators/Twins did it. (Side note: look up the all-time pitching leaders for the Twins' franchise; the leader in most categories is Walter Johnson.) In other words, the right way to handle a relocated team's records is the way it was done in every single instance up until the f-ing Browns set their toxic precedent.

I hate to be the guy who sees the decline of civilisation everywhere he looks; but in this case that attitude is unavoidable. That this offence against history is being endorsed not by people who don't know any better, but by people who supposedly care about the sport, is not only sad but also a little scary; it's scary because it serves as a reminder that, to some people, reality just doesn't matter. This tells us why people believe all kinds of things that have no basis in reality, and why rational argument is so often futile.

What should be a fun moment to celebrate the return of a nice nickname and a cool look is instead a depressing commentary on our times, thanks to pandering douchebaggery on the part of the NBA and mindless acceptance on the part of the public.

I agree that reappropriating the Hornets history as the Bobcats is the wrong move, but this is absurd hyperbole. There's plenty of places where the decline of civilization is evident (there's also plenty of places where the opposite is evident), but the Pelicans agreeing to let the Bobcats have their history isn't it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree that reappropriating the Hornets history as the Bobcats is the wrong move, but this is absurd hyperbole. There's plenty of places where the decline of civilization is evident (there's also plenty of places where the opposite is evident), but the Pelicans agreeing to let the Bobcats have their history isn't it.

While the "decline of civilization" tag is ludicrous I do get where he's coming from. You have people who have said "I don't mind historical revisionism," "I don't mind trading histories," and so on. I'm sorry, that just strikes me as fundamentally wrong. BBTV's right. History isn't a comodity that can be traded or sold or sent somewhere else. It's factual. And the fact is that the organization that held the original Charlotte Hornets history moved to New Orleans.

Now we're only talking about NBA team lineages here. So it's not like we're engaged in radically altering the past. Still, it's troubling to see so many people say "I'm ok with re-writing the past because the facts are inconvienient."

The name "Hornets" has ties to Charlotte dating back to the Revolutionary War in 1780, when a General called Charlotte "a hornets nest of rebellion." From 1892-1936 there was a minor league baseball team in Charlotte nicknamed the Hornets. Why should the Hornets brand be locked away by a franchise that didn't want it in New Orleans instead of returning to a city that truly loves it and has a deep history of meaning with it?

Do you know who the city of Charlotte is named after? Queen Charlotte, beloved wife of George III, the king the American revolutionaries were revolting against. The city even calls itself "the Queen City" in reference to Queen Charlotte. Your "rah rah Revolutionary War reference rah rah" argument would hold more water if your city didn't keep the name of the wife of the guy the Revolution was waged against.
I get that, but virtually any city of any size is full of those sorts of contradictions. New York had some of the most fervent revolutionaries and also (IIRC) the largest percentage of loyalists. I can totally believe that the city fathers, for example, would keep the name to honor the Queen and yet the people themselves would be a "hornet's nest of rebellion."
I understand. The American Revoluion was very much a civil war in nature.

I just find the "respect our Revolutionary War heritage" argument regarding the Hornets silly when half of the team name in question is honouring British royalty.

If you want to argue in favour of Hornets then appealing to the city's basketball heritage and nostalgia for the old identity would be preferable. It's understandable and doesn't carry the same sense of contradiction.

Adidas has 0 say in the uniform.

Jordan Brand is designing the uniform. Whitfield said the new uniforms will resemble the new Hugo logo, as in they'll resemble the originals with slight modernizations.

I don't care for the logos but I think the uniforms are gonna be awesome. Jordan Brand knows how to design :censored:.

Uhhh, Adidas is going to be the manufacturer behind the jersey, so yes they will have say in the uniform. Somehow I don't think they are going to let Jordan brand design the jerseys they produce.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

While the "decline of civilization" tag is ludicrous I do get where he's coming from. You have people who have said "I don't mind historical revisionism," "I don't mind trading histories," and so on. I'm sorry, that just strikes me as fundamentally wrong...Now we're only talking about NBA team lineages here. Still, it's troubling to see so many people say "I'm ok with re-writing the past because the facts are inconvenient."

It's that bit which strikes me as scary, and which inspired the "decline of civilisation" comment (made in a half-apologetic manner, as I am well aware of its hyperbolic feel).

The way in which NBA teams' histories are kept is obviously a trivial expression of this sentiment. But it's the sentiment itself -- not really this particular expression of it -- which is the source of my discomfort. The discussion is depressing because it echoes other far more serious issues.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

More to make the point that I have no emotional attachment to a city - to show how unbiased and unattached I am.

Yes, but plenty of people with no attachment to the city have weighed in on the opposite side of things. As much as you want to play the "unbiased observer" card, well so can I.
I know your Canadian now

I won't discuss this with you unless you quote my entire post.

No need to trim my comments to suit your narrative.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I know your Canadian now
I won't discuss this with you unless you quote my entire post.

That's a bit pompous and arrogant my friend. "You did not respond to my whole post. So I'll just ignore it! Ha! Shows you right!" - (what I imagine your thought process was on this)

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

After watching that presser I never got the impression they were pretending the original Hornets never left, rather wanting to have the history of basketball in the city available for display for the fans. They seem to understand that this is a new era, but they also want to pay respect to the HORNETS name and Charlotte basketball. I don't think they are taking wins and playoff appearances as their own, just old logos and unis for marketing and banners for players that were iconic to fans in that city.

Side note: A reporter asked if they would ever throwback Bobcats stuff(God bless him for that question). The answer was that its a possibility but they want to give this new look its time to shine. Makes sense. Seriously though, how sweet will it be to see the original orange Bobcats throwback unis like 7-10 years from now? Am I right?

No? Alright then.

Adidas has 0 say in the uniform.

Jordan Brand is designing the uniform. Whitfield said the new uniforms will resemble the new Hugo logo, as in they'll resemble the originals with slight modernizations.

I don't care for the logos but I think the uniforms are gonna be awesome. Jordan Brand knows how to design :censored:.

Uhhh, Adidas is going to be the manufacturer behind the jersey, so yes they will have say in the uniform. Somehow I don't think they are going to let Jordan brand design the jerseys they produce.

You don't get how things work. Unless NBA signed something giving adidas exclusive design rights (which would be absurd) a team can hire any designer to do the design work, and they in turn have to work with the manufacturer to translate it to a template or design something new. While it is declining, teams use local or in-house firms sometimes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The official uniform wordmarks:

BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

The away uni will be purple, and I guess the alt (likely sleeved) uni will be teal, and also likely have "Buzz City" on it, but I'm just guessing on that. The above graphic is the only official, confirmed info I have.

I deliberately left those off of the set posted on my blog due to the fact that the unis haven't been unveiled yet.

BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

The away uni will be purple, and I guess the alt (likely sleeved) uni will be teal, and also likely have "Buzz City" on it, but I'm just guessing on that. The above graphic is the only official, confirmed info I have.

Why not teal and make puple the alt? If they truly want to bring back the buzz.

spacer.png

BoKdmndCAAAKWlv.png

How hard could it have been to make a matching Charlotte wordmark?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think it might be hard to match the symmetrical look of the points/edges of the H & S in Hornets with a C & E in Charlotte, unless they were to move the points up to the top of both letters in "Charlotte".

I guarantee right now that we'll see a teal "Buzz City" Alternate in the next two years.

Archived