2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leafs acquire Jonathan Bernier from the Kings for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2nd Round Pick

Wow! Sounds like a good deal, better for the Kings if Frattin can stay healthy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So either this officially takes Toronto out of the Luongo talks, or Bernier (or Riemer) become part of the package for said Luongo deal.

It's gotta be the former, right? The cap's going down next season, and I'd think Toronto would go after more offense and let the cheaper tandem of Riemer/Bernier battle for ice time.

I guess the second is in 2014 or 2015. You'd think the Kings would've liked 2013 seeing as they don't have a first.

That said does Toronto have their second this year?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

It's an excellent deal for Los Angeles because Bernier was never going to be the starter after Jonathan Quick's outstanding play the past few seasons. For Toronto, it makes me wonder just what they think about Reimer, and if they feel he is a capable enough goaltender for putting them over the top in the coming years. 2.46 and .924 look more than solid, but those did come in a short season.

spacer.png

The Kings totally won that deal.

Not necessarially. Bernier's got #1 potential and if he plays like he played this year, he's got the potential to be th best goaltender in the game. If that happens, then the Kings lost in the deal. Even if that doesn't happen, the only way for the Kings to win in this deal is to win multiple Cups and have Frattin become an All-Star year after year. What I suspect will happen, is that Bernier will solidly take over as the Leafs #1, and Frattin will be a good top 6 forward.

The Kings totally won that deal.

Not necessarially. Bernier's got #1 potential and if he plays like he played this year, he's got the potential to be th best goaltender in the game. If that happens, then the Kings lost in the deal. Even if that doesn't happen, the only way for the Kings to win in this deal is to win multiple Cups and have Frattin become an All-Star year after year. What I suspect will happen, is that Bernier will solidly take over as the Leafs #1, and Frattin will be a good top 6 forward.

I don't think Bernier will really be that amazing as a starter, especially in Toronto. He'll be solid, but the chances of Frattin being good enough to be a top-6 forward are good, plus Scrivens should be a solid backup with some upside, or potentially trade bait. That said, this is a tough deal to analyze, being that they're all young, relatively unproven players.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The reason I like this deal is because Bernier's ceiling is highest of all the players in the trade. Scrivens will likely be a good backup or, if traded, a decent starter. Frattin is a real wild card. He's got great hands and is a very good skater, but on the other hand, he's 25 and still yet to show more than just flashes of his potential. He has a chance to be a top-six guy, but he'll never be a first-liner or an all-star.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Colorado is going to draft McKinnon putting him on the third line to start next year, efficiently ending his pro career. I swear, they don't have enough good young forward prospects whose careers aren't tanking. I don't know if they've had a sound d-man since Adam Foote.

Avs may be the dumbest team in the league. Even worse than us.

Well they tried following the "Tampa Bay Lightning" model of hockey management. So you know...

Nucks hire Torts.

Perfect coach for that team.

Good idea to quarantine all most of the league's unpleasantness in one franchise.

I'm gonna miss being able to support ole' Torts, but hopefully his spell in British Columbia is short-lived.

On the bright side, coaching in Vancouver may be the best way to bring out another level of his arrogance and condescension. Positives, positives...

(btw, Chicago has to be the early favourite for the Cup in 2013-'14, but I'll just play Buzz Killington here and say that we must let the free agent and trade market situations sort themselves out. Maybe the Lightning will have a productive off-season for once in their damned lives...)

spacer.png

The Hawks don't have any cap issues like last time, right? Bickell, who I know is a free agent, will be wearing red and yellow in South Beach this fall.

That's part of the beauty of it. There's a lot of young guys to come up just in case guys like Bickell can't be retained, plus there's surprises like Marcus Kruger who look like they could anchor the 4th line or higher for years to come.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived