2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Despite it being like 83-85 degrees all week, looks like the Dodger Stadium ice is still going in according to schedule:

"It hasn't done anything to us right now," said Dan Craig, the NHL's senior director of facilities operations. "We're down below 60 degrees at rink-side (at 5 p.m.), and that's where we expected to be when we were making ice."

Reflective insulated blankets protect the surface in the daytime and are removed after the sun goes down so that spraying of the surface can begin.

Spraying started Thursday night, with about a quarter-inch of ice being put down. NHL spokesman Jamey Horan said another half inch would probably be sprayed Friday night and would continue through the weekend.

LINK

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't they just use the playoff format for OT in the regular season? Sure it'd make for some long games, but is that really that much of a problem? Make it 4 on 4 even (I'm not sure if they do that in playoff OT off the top of my head) to open up the ice a bit. It's not an ideal solution, but ties suck and the shoot out, while fun, is a pretty terrible way to determine the outcome of a game. Hell, if they're even totally worried about teams being beat to s**t after the game, maybe they can even *GASP!* get rid of a few regular season games. The regular season is too long as it is, isn't terribly meaningful, and it's not terribly common to see teams play back-to-back games anyway, so what's the big deal?

Teams aren't using the same exact schedule like they do during the playoffs.

You're doing the teams a disservice by making them play the next day after they play an multiple-OT game, and 99 times out of 100 they're traveling to that second game (very rarely do teams have home games on consecutive days). You're doing the fans a disservice by opening up the possibility of a team being so weary that they mail-in that second game and put an inferior product on the ice (and charging high prices across the board in the process). And they're not getting rid of games, unless you're cool with paying higher ticket prices.

Baseball can get away with extra innings because the two teams are likely playing each other the next day. Football could get away with multiple OT's because they'll have at least three off days before their next game. Basketball can get away with multiple OT's because the frequency of scoring points is so high.

Damn.

Ducks were fighting it all night. Finally broke through with those quick two, and Penner had an absolutely glorious chance to tie it getting Crawford wayyyyyy out of his net, but tried to be too cute at a point in the game where it doesn't matter how pretty it is, it just needs to get in. Referees weren't going to call a thing toward the end when the Ducks really could have used it, but they had their shots.

They've had trouble starting games all year, and Chicago isn't one of those teams you can do that against. Even if they almost came back again. I almost think that might be a good thing, not being rewarded for not playing the full 60. Last time it happened was also on the road at key Western foe in San Jose, they then responded by winning these last 8 games.

Not going to reach the 20 wins in 21 games the 1967-68 Canadiens had, but nobody else has either. Being second to that is nothing to scoff at.

Just as important game tomorrow in St. Louis. Start another streak tomorrow. Go Ducks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Oh and hey, good game for the erstwhile Beej tonight, beating up on the paper-tiger Crapitals like that. Johansen and Atkinson seem quite promising. The Jackets kind of have a Stars vibe about them, where they've slowly rebuilt with good players who pleasantly come of age rather than doing a Penguins/Blackhawks insta-turn. I guess the Blues are like that, too, but the Jackets aren't at that level just yet. I don't see why they can't get a playoff spot in that gong show division.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh and hey, good game for the erstwhile Beej tonight, beating up on the paper-tiger Crapitals like that. Johansen and Atkinson seem quite promising. The Jackets kind of have a Stars vibe about them, where they've slowly rebuilt with good players who pleasantly come of age rather than doing a Penguins/Blackhawks insta-turn. I guess the Blues are like that, too, but the Jackets aren't at that level just yet. I don't see why they can't get a playoff spot in that gong show division.

The Metropolitan Division sucks. It's the Penguins and everyone else. My Flyers are so mediocre and they can contend for a top spot. I have a feeling that 5 playoff team will come from the Atlantic.

Well we're following St. Louis' model because that's what John Davidson and Jarmo Kekalainen did in St. Louis and that seems to be working pretty good. The problem was they were trying to go with the Pittsburgh/Chicago plan, but they were never bad enough. Perpetually drafting fourth wasn't working out, but Howson, turns out, actually made the best of it. Jarmo and JD needed some players to start with and for all of the ridicule Scott Howson so rightfully earned as GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets he should also be praised for a few really good drafts. He picked up Cam Atkinson, Matt Calvert, and Dalton Prout in the fifth round or later and all have become really good NHL players. I think Atkinson could be an all-star in the future. He went off board and took Ryan Johansen fourth overall when most teams had him around tenth. Johansen is having a break out season and is on pace for +30 goals. He's big and he's only going to get better. He turned down the Islanders entire draft for Ryan Murray and I'm beginning to think that was a good decision.

Howson brought in Jack Johnson whose advanced metrics say he's a bad defenseman, but JJ changed the culture in the locker room. Jeff Carter was a cancer, Johnson changed it overnight. Howson also snagged Anisimov and Dubinsky in the Rick Nash trade. I'd rather have both those guys than one Rick Nash every day. Oh and he traded for Bobrovsky. Not bad.

Jarmo and JD have been great for the franchise and for the first time ever our prospects are actually fulfilling their potential. The pieces are in place and the team is playing as a collective unit. It's so much fun to watch it finally come together.

6-1-0 in 2014, 6-1-0 since Nathan Horton joined the lineup, Bobrovsky is 6-0 since coming back from injury, the offense is starting to score goals at a higher rate than ever in the history of the franchise, they have a promising goal differential, and their record against Metro teams not named the Penguins is very good. It wouldn't be absurd to pencil this team into a playoff spot at the end of the season.

oh and they get Buffalo tonight so while that game looks trappy I think they'll extend their winning streak to 6.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 first period goals between the Bolts and Sharks, both starting two Vezina candidates, go figure.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

(I haven't officially asked for permission to post in this thread this season so I hope this is OK.)

And I was all worried about Columbus moving east this season. Anyway, to me, the Jackets do seem to be on the upswing.

Just wanted to add that the NHL Network's highlight show did about five minutes on the Blue Jackets last night. Other than the live games, I don't watch a lot of NHL Network so I'm not sure if a long segment on the Jackets is that unusual but it was cool to see.

BB52Big.jpg

There were only 2 games last night, so they could spend a little more time on the game(I would assume).

So it probably wasn't a "hey, look at Columbus" segment so much as it was a "well, we got nothing else so we may as well talk about Columbus" segment. Oh well, either way, it was nice to see.

BB52Big.jpg

Just remember when you watch this game that the Canadian squad must be so good that Martin St. Louis and his four goals in 25 minutes isn't good enough to be on that team. :upside:

The Sharks are St.Louis' b***h today. Seriously though Tampa seems like it's him and a bunch of guys that I don't know, yet they're doing pretty good this year.

Because the Lightning are dressing, like, eight rookies a night. One of them was actually demoted the other day (Sustr). That they've kept afloat for so long without Stamkos is, frankly, amazing.

spacer.png

You know ninersdd, you seem like the West Coast me with your ability to remember scores of games played from several years ago, so you surely would remember how the last Sharks/Lightning meeting in Tampa went, and the similarities it has with the current game today.

(for the uninitiated, that game ended in a 6-5 Lightning OT victory. Sharks outshot the Lightning 50-25. It was a wild game, and like this season, the other meeting that season was a Sharks white-washing in San Jose a couple months previously.)

and make it 4-4 moments after typing this. Jeez.

spacer.png

Steve Mason re-upped for 12.3 for 3 yrs in Philly.

Martin St.Louis had a hattrick in the 1st period

vs San Jose

4 now a couple minutes into the 2nd.

Are there pants on the ice? ARE THERE PANTS ON THE ICE?!?!?

Archived