2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL lap the NBA in a lot of dual markets as the NBA settles into this rut where most teams have no reason to exist while the self-appointed Basketball Intelligentsia smirks about how this is the way it has to be. It's already starting.

most teams in the NBA exist to feed the Lakers, Celtics and Heat championships. Sometimes teams like the Mavs and Pistons sneak under the radar.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, before the Jackets came along, the Penguins were the NHL team of choice for hockey fans in the eastern half of Ohio. My guess is most Penguins fans didn't "make the switch."

I can't cite my source on this but I believe there was some agreement between Cleveland and Pittsburgh's FSNs that one would get some Cavs games and the other would get some Pens games to fill out the off nights.

Also, what a comeback for the Isles! They might just go on a tear, you know.

Too bad there wasn't a lockout to save them from their traditional November-December suckage.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL lap the NBA in a lot of dual markets as the NBA settles into this rut where most teams have no reason to exist while the self-appointed Basketball Intelligentsia smirks about how this is the way it has to be. It's already starting.

Except for all its faults, the NBA doesn't have anyone as incompetent as Bettman running the show. Bettman's mere presence handicaps the NHL.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No, the NBA's administration is corrupt, not incompetent. That's an entirely different ballgame.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Except for all its faults, the NBA doesn't have anyone as incompetent as Bettman running the show. Bettman's mere presence handicaps the NHL.
Well, yes, but even the most ardent Bettman skeptics (hey what up) have to admit that the NHL is really succeeding in spite of itself as of late. Between the Winter Classic, Stadium Series, new Canadian TV contract, and great teams in the midwest and northeast, they're cashing in on their high-ceiling markets. The failure is that there aren't more of them to cash in on.

The NBA is getting big national/international money, and that's great, but they're going to bomb out on the local level. I mean, geez, what was going on in the NBA thread with that Jazz-Pistons game? People were supporting the Jazz because they drafted a guy out of Michigan? Is that what was going on? The mighty DEEETROIT BASKETBALL has been reduced to a handful of college-loving simpletons?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, before the Jackets came along, the Penguins were the NHL team of choice for hockey fans in the eastern half of Ohio. My guess is most Penguins fans didn't "make the switch."

I can't cite my source on this but I believe there was some agreement between Cleveland and Pittsburgh's FSNs that one would get some Cavs games and the other would get some Pens games to fill out the off nights.

Also, what a comeback for the Isles! They might just go on a tear, you know.

Sounds right.

BB52Big.jpg

most teams in the NBA exist to feed the Lakers, Celtics and Heat championships. Sometimes teams like the Mavs and Pistons sneak under the radar.

Fixed it.

And I do agree to an extent on the whole, "NHL has surpassed the NBA" argument, but it's mostly on a whim than on planning. Let me go back to around 2006 and 2007, when the league bottomed out in general, broad American interest.

How many people thought in 2007 that the 1st Winter Classic game in Buffalo would become as popular as it is right now? How many people would see the Red Wings (a team casual fans should know) and Crosby's Penguins (another team casual fans should know) play for consecutive Stanley Cups, the latter in an epic Game 7? How many people thought that Stanley Cups would be won in Southern California (both teams), Chicago (this after the elder Wirtz era) and Boston (after a 39 year absence)? How many people thought that both America and Canada would produce such quality talent over the proceeding five to six years?

My point is that for all the planning the NHL has made to grow hockey, some of it is because of dumb luck, such as quality fanbases in some of the Sun Belt cities (Nashville, Tampa, Dallas, Anaheim), a resurgence of teams in big cities (Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston), the proliferation of the league adapting social media more often than other leagues (i.e. the NFL and MLB), and waning interest from competing leagues (NBA).

Yeah, I'd agree that it was a lot of good luck, and that with the right planning, they'd be doing even better. Still, the fact is that revenues keep going up despite the league's numerous dead spots. I think the NHL is figuring out how to successfully market to a tech-savvy, middle-class demographic and shedding some of that white-trash stigma it has in a lot of places OR AT LEAST IT WAS UNTIL TORTORELLA WENT FULL RETARD THE OTHER NIGHT.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't have any crystal ball into the future or anything, but I just feel like Dan Boyle is going to have a big game for the Sharks, multiple point, and maybe multiple goal game. Not sure exactly why I think that, just gut feeling.

reporters asking Sharks head coach: What happens if they (Calgary) start their fourth line?

TMac's Response: What happens if Doug Wilson signs Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr today — where do I play them?” he replied. “I can’t worry about hypothetical situations. They get to start their lineup. We get to start ours.”

:)

Go Sharks!!

Seriously Sharks, letting a member of the goon line score?

They looked flat and unenthusiastic for majority of the period. Nemo looks razzled, hope he settles down. 2 goals on 8 shots...

Attention Sharks: Play the team, not their record!!

The NBA is getting big national/international money, and that's great, but they're going to bomb out on the local level. I mean, geez, what was going on in the NBA thread with that Jazz-Pistons game? People were supporting the Jazz because they drafted a guy out of Michigan? Is that what was going on? The mighty DEEETROIT BASKETBALL has been reduced to a handful of college-loving simpletons?

That's more an indictment on Joe Dumars' gross mismanagement of his team than on the league as a whole, though. Mediocrity inspiring fan apathy isn't exclusive to the NBA, either.

Fixed it.

Yeah, let's just ignore all the bogus one-sided trades that have helped the Lakers win titles. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Joe Pavelski is good, real good.

Except Patrick Marleau was offsides on the sequence before Pavelski's second goal.

Yeah, I could even hear the "ohh" in the Shark Tank on my TV. It looked like it, but I saw the ref wave it off, which I thought was odd.

That's more an indictment on Joe Dumars' gross mismanagement of his team than on the league as a whole, though. Mediocrity inspiring fan apathy isn't exclusive to the NBA, either.

Fixed it.

Yeah, let's just ignore all the bogus one-sided trades that have helped the Lakers win titles. :rolleyes:

yeah it's BR. But point remains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVv4JgolDQY

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Nice win by the Jackets tonight. Great effort across the board. Team record 7 game winning streak. I hope they make it 8 in a row Thursday against the Flyers - I'll be at that game. The last time I saw the Jackets win a game in person was 11 years ago almost to the day. Jan. 20th, 2003 - they beat Chicago 5-1. I've been to at least one game a season since then. The closest thing to a win in person since 2003 was last year when they lost to Vancouver in a shootout. They owe me a win. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived