2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

Buffalo wins 5-2. Jackets 8 game win streak comes to an end.

Perspective : Still 3rd in Metro. No ground lost. Bob had off night. Miller did not. Let's start a new streak on Monday in Carolina.

I'm not too broken up by it. It was just one of those games. The Blue Jackets dominated in shots and possession and they'll win that game more times than not. The real test will be how they respond monday night in Raliegh.

Two short handed goals - one of which hit Bobs right in his glove. It was definitely just one of those games. But I'll take 8 out of the last 9.

I may be in the minority, but I'm really digging Ducks - Kings. There's something cool about seeing palm trees at an outdoor hockey game.

Paul Stanley should hang it up.

I am in the "minority" as well. If anything, these conditions seems to be closer to what the players are used to anyways... and it's great to see Vin Scully attend the game.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tickets are marked up for all outdoor games because of the event nature of the games. Islander tickets normally range from $24-$235, but at Yankee Stadium they went for $79-$349. Capacity had nothing to do with it. The tickets are in demand so the NHL can charge high prices for them.

Well, it's more to do that these outdoor games are run by the NHL. The 'home' team isn't running things. The home team does get some preference (such as the organist, STH's getting first-crack on tickets, things like that), but they have little-to-no say on most of the particulars.

Whatever the case, expecting ticket prices to go down just because there are more seats is nuts.

I don't like the Sabres scoring goals all of a sudden. They're really jeopardizing The Mission to 163 here.

What's 163? I was hoping they'd break the record for fewest goals in a season that was around 130 somewhere.
164/2=2.00 goals per game. 163 keeps them below two per game on the year. So I guess it's the Mission to ≤163, I was just too lazy to find that character.

They're at 91 goals in 50 games now, so they need 73 in 32 to hit 2.00. Come on, guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A fantastic Ducks and humiliating Kings effort tonight at Dodger Stadium, in front of a regional national television audience. LA's starters just ran out of gas in the mid 3rd, while Anaheim's players played like they didn't want the game to end. Unanimously and without question did this game belong to, become of, and earned the way of, the Anaheim Ducks. No else needed.

Good game for the experience, but just badly executed for the league if they wanted general, non-hockey fans in this city to try to appreciate the sport.

A fantastic Ducks and humiliating Kings effort tonight at Dodger Stadium, in front of a regional national television audience.

I don't know what you're complaining about. The game was broadcast on CBC :upside:

So Thornton & Marleau get contract extensions for three years and combine for three goals. Marleau with 1, and Thornton with 2. Thornton scores first goal and GWG in OT. Thornton three shots on goal, two of those three went in. So, I had to post this:

9xbGozz.png

Yeah I can't imagine anyone who went regretted it. The atmosphere was amazing. 50,000+ hockey fans in one building, almost all of them in either team's apparel. Kings were very sloppy, though, so their fans got pretty quiet fast. Merchandise prices were outrageous. $50 for a shirt? And KISS was on a terrible delay that made it look like they weren't even playing. Also the organist interrupted them in between songs. Awkwaaaard.

I don't like the Sabres scoring goals all of a sudden. They're really jeopardizing The Mission to 163 here.

What's 163? I was hoping they'd break the record for fewest goals in a season that was around 130 somewhere.
164/2=2.00 goals per game. 163 keeps them below two per game on the year. So I guess it's the Mission to ≤163, I was just too lazy to find that character.

They're at 91 goals in 50 games now, so they need 73 in 32 to hit 2.00. Come on, guys.

My magic number would be ≤151 I guess, which would put them below the total for the 97-98 Lightning for the worst goal scoring total since expansion and well below the average of the '53-'54 Blackhawks, who scored 133 goals in 70 games. For a while, they were below the actual 133 pace even with the twelve more games... THAT would have been cool, but they screwed that up.

1 point behind the Oilers with 3 games in hand, btw.

Are there any outdoor venues that would fit NHL similar to the way arenas do? At the top of my head I think pro tennis stadium might work, but I'm not sure if the total area of the tennis stadium floor could fit an NHL rink.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Are there any outdoor venues that would fit NHL similar to the way arenas do? At the top of my head I think pro tennis stadium might work, but I'm not sure if the total area of the tennis stadium floor could fit an NHL rink.

Nope. It fits a basketball court snugly, but not an NHL rink.

9.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived