2013 MLB Discussion Thread, Redux

Brian in Boston

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more win for these guys. Cannot wait to head down to the Fenway area on Wednesday night to hopefully watch and celebrate a World Series championship for the Boston Red Sox.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, well, if the Cardinals want to atone for the events of 1926, then they will win the next two on the road.

So nice of the Cardinals offense to just flat out DIE in this series. Despite the purported quality of what should've come from the top two teams meeting in the World Series, this has instead just been a cavalcade of bad baseball. Yay.

spacer.png

Also, and this is outside the scope of last nights games. Most likely these calls didn't matter (although it's possible they did). But Matt Carpenter struck out twice looking, each on pitches that we plainly balls live and plainly balls with PitchFX. They weren't nothing situations either. One was with a man on 2B, and one was leading off the 9th inning. But they do happen in nothing situations a lot, too.

My real point is there's no such thing as a nothing situation, especially where the strike zone is concerned. Even if you strike out the pitcher on a pitch way outside to end an inning with nobody on base, that call still affects the game, because players try to adjust to this wrongly abstract strike zone the umpires redefine throughout each game.

We have the technology in PitchFX to have the location of the pitch very accurately tracked instantaneously. When does baseball grow up and use that data in games?

Baseball is finally entering the 21st century with replay next year. They're doing it in the most backwards and inefficient way possible, but at least they're doing it. Will we have to wait for the 22nd century before baseball starts enforcing their most important rule to the best of their abilities?

Yeah, I think it's time for the strike zone to be defined and called electronically, with the home plate umpire left to determine whether a batter checked his swing, stuff like that.

:censored: you, Tim McCarver.

BXs_hu_IMAA2XHz.png

"The team that goes to Boston with a 3-2 lead will have an advantage." (LINK)

UGH.

Hey, that could be the last McCarverism we ever get. Savor it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I watched the ESPN America version of the game last night.

You know, it's not even that I thought I'd ever be longing for the day when my preferred telecast involved Rick Sutcliffe as the color analyst, as much as it is that I never thought that, in a battle of color analysts, Rick Sutcliffe would be so much the better option. Gary Thorne and Joe Buck are a wash to me as the play-by-play (in general; Buck's slobbering of Dustin Pedroia in this series has been quite disturbing in this particular case), but if you think McCarver is terrible in general, your perspective only reflects worse on him when you have a direct contrast to him.

Too bad that FOX is inevitably going to screw up his replacement when they use one of their MLB Network cronies like Harold Reynolds, Mitch Williams, or :censored: ing Cowboy Up as the replacement. Between FOX and TBS, baseball fans have been screwed with regards to postseason coverage for the past several years and will continue to be for the next several years. Hooray.

spacer.png

Before the World Series started, I was in here wondering why people were so down on this match-up. After five games, I'm wondering what I was thinking. I've really tried to give a flying :censored: about this World Series, but I just don't. It pains me to say that because baseball is my favorite sport, but I just don't have it in me to invest any time in this series. Unlike the majority around here, I actually like the Cardinals. Like the majority around here, I don't like the Red Sox. Normally, my Red Sox "hate" combined with an appreciation for the Cards would be enough to rustle up some interest, but it's not happening. It's probably the fact that, going in to the playoffs, we had a shot at seeing some new blood in the World Series only to end up with more of the same.

Anyway, I'd like to retract my earlier statements questioning the lack of interest in this World Series. I totally get it now. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Before the World Series started, I was in here wondering why people were so down on this match-up. After five games, I'm wondering what I was thinking. I've really tried to give a flying :censored: about this World Series, but I just don't. It pains me to say that because baseball is my favorite sport, but I just don't have it in me to invest any time in this series. Unlike the majority around here, I actually like the Cardinals. Like the majority around here, I don't like the Red Sox. Normally, my Red Sox "hate" combined with an appreciation for the Cards would be enough to rustle up some interest, but it's not happening. It's probably the fact that, going in to the playoffs, we had a shot at seeing some new blood in the World Series only to end up with more of the same.

Anyway, I'd like to retract my earlier statements questioning the lack of interest in this World Series. I totally get it now. B)

:welcome:

I'll reiterate what I said before the series. This is Super Bowl 46. It's the rematch nobody asked for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I still say it's worth watching. Ironically, the two best teams have played some bad baseball, but it has kind of made it a fun series. I have a tolerance for less-than-great baseball (even from a fundamentals perspective) if the games are close in a postseason series. And if St. Louis wins game six, it'll be hard to consider this series un-exciting (even if poorly-played).

And it is rare for me to literally have no preference, but that's where I am. I don't hate either team, but I certainly don't think it would be all that fun to watch either team celebrate its third championship in a decade. But I am still finding it compelling. The Red Sox hitting like crap except for Big Papi hitting over .700. The bizarre ways the games are ending. The possibility that Allan Craig will have a Kirk Gibson moment. The way the Red Sox pitching staff, in some games, seems to need to use everyone (and the potential for more of that in Game 7).

And I totally agree that it's better to have a Pittsburgh trying to snap 20 years of futility in style or Oakland finally come through or even Detroit winning its first title in a long time. Any of that would make this more interesting for me in terms of giving me someone to root for, but it's been a fun series and that's been able to get me beyond the "blah" level of these not-so-starved fanbases/teams.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived