There are colored football fields, then there's this.

hockey week

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that field will look cool up until the point the school's QB starts missing wide open WR's downfield because their uniforms blend in with the turf and he can't see them. .

Using this logic, teams with Green uniforms should've had this problem for years.

No, that wouldnt be the case. You're talking about a distinct color pattern of multiple colors that exactly matches the school's colors. That's not even remotely the same as a green uniform on grass/turf. (not to mention team uniforms are rarely the same color as grass/turf).

It's stupid. It makes it very difficult to spot a penalty flag on the field.

It's one thing to have a mid-field logo, where there's plenty of surrounding room to place a penalty flag. But to cover up the entire area between the hashmarks with a yellow/black pattern is just dumb and shortsighted. Games would be slower because of the extra double-checking to see if someone forgot a flag that landed inside the yellow.

I've had this issue before with yellow cleats. I worked a game where one of the players had cleats that were mostly yellow, then fading to a dark blue (UnderArmour cleats). Every time I saw the yellow, I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't a flag thrown by one of my crew.

Most people may consider this a non-issue. But as an official, anything that may slow up a game makes a huge difference in game flow. And everyone notices game flow.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It's one thing to have a mid-field logo, where there's plenty of surrounding room to place a penalty flag. But to cover up the entire area between the hashmarks with a yellow/black pattern is just dumb and shortsighted. Games would be slower because of the extra double-checking to see if someone forgot a flag that landed inside the yellow.

I've had this issue before with yellow cleats. I worked a game where one of the players had cleats that were mostly yellow, then fading to a dark blue (UnderArmour cleats). Every time I saw the yellow, I had to do a double-take to make sure it wasn't a flag thrown by one of my crew.

Most people may consider this a non-issue. But as an official, anything that may slow up a game makes a huge difference in game flow. And everyone notices game flow.

Thank you.

This puts even more weight to the argument that funky-ass field colors should be abolished.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

You have more experience than me with play on the field, but how much will it truly slow the game? If an official throws a flag, he'll stop the progression regardless, right? I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it would be a momentum stopper from my point of view (point of view as a fan)

I am no official so I am not going to pretend to be an expert as to what an officials experience would be like. But you should take a look at North Dakota State's turf. Both Endzones are completely yellow. Midfield logo is yellow and the FargoDome logo is yellow. I know its not the same as a strip of yellow down the center of the field but I would love your opinion on what it would be like to ref on that field.

NDSU3.jpg

If the pattern was grass-colored like some of the examples in the previous posts, this would be excellent, but that wouldn't get them on front page Yahoo news. I have a hard time believing these types of fields/courts are nothing more than short-lived publicity stunts leaving the fans with the eye-sore of having to look at that gaudy yellow long after the news goes away.

But whatever, it is just high school and most of us will never have to see it again, as long as it doesn't inspire more noteworthy fields.

I am no official so I am not going to pretend to be an expert as to what an officials experience would be like. But you should take a look at North Dakota State's turf. Both Endzones are completely yellow. Midfield logo is yellow and the FargoDome logo is yellow. I know its not the same as a strip of yellow down the center of the field but I would love your opinion on what it would be like to ref on that field.

NDSU3.jpg

End zones are different. Any play that lands in the end zone will stop the clock on its own.

The emblem in the middle of the field is just that: the middle of the field. Not the full length of the field. So you're looking at one small area where there might be a flag.

Someone else mentioned how it slows the game. If one official throws a flag, mechanics dictate for multiple officials to signal to stop the game clock. Just because the back judge throws a flag, doesn't mean the clock operator will see him immediately to stop the clock. But if multiple officials signal, it's more likely the clock operator sees it.

It may seem like I'm over thinking things. But anything that can cause a delay in normal routine (like hesitating the start of the play clock or game clock because you can't tell a flag has been thrown because everything looks yellow) will ultimately slow the game down.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

That field looks awful. In fact, it's puke-worthy awful.

:puke: There. I've officially outed myself as a curmudgeonly troglodyte, totally incapable of accepting anything new. All thanks to some dumb school official who thought it was a good idea to adopt snake striping for his team's football field.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Reminds me of this:

eye2.jpg

eye3.jpg

Any Given Sunday for those that don't remember your football movies.

I hated that field design. Every time somebody entered it during a (relative) close up, I thought they were in the end zone.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If anyone's ever stood on a football field that has markings, colors, etc... your vision is perpendicular to the field. ie... the field doesn not interfere in anyway with the visibility of players on the field. If anything, the stadium wrap around the boards which from the vision of a player would be directly behind them would have more "blend-in" concerns than the color of the field. And virtually every pro and college team has some markings on the walls that are team colors and there never been a problem.

From above id a different story, press box or fans. But on the field it has no bearing at all.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived