What If? NFL 1995: 2002 Expansion Teams Finalized

8BW14

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just coming here to post about the Redskins.

Maybe...just maybe, the ownership decided to leave DC with all the crime in the 90s.

Perhaps they moved to Jacksonville, Florida and renamed the team the Ravens?

Too much?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Maybe...just maybe, the ownership decided to leave DC with all the crime in the 90s.

Too much?

"You serious Clark?"

Seriously, some scenario like that might fit into this alternate timeline, but not Jacksonville. That city has always struck me as an odd place for an NFL franchise. I'm sure they had their reasons for putting a team there but I don't like it.

Also, any C&C on Indianapolis? There really hasn't been much, so is that a good or bad thing?

The reason was they didn't want to take St. Louis or Baltimore off the table for relocation. Also, I think Jacksonville pushed really hard to be "the Green Bay of the South" or something. That didn't really work out for them, and quite frankly, with everything that entails, how could you even want it to?

The Ravens were named for the poem by famous Baltimore native Edgar Allen Poe. I don't think they'd have used it for Jacksonville.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The reason was they didn't want to take St. Louis or Baltimore off the table for relocation. Also, I think Jacksonville pushed really hard to be "the Green Bay of the South" or something. That didn't really work out for them, and quite frankly, with everything that entails, how could you even want it to?

The Ravens were named for the poem by famous Baltimore native Edgar Allen Poe. I don't think they'd have used it for Jacksonville.

Ah thank you for that. I can see how that would maybe kinda make sense at the time, I guess.

Also, I knew that about the Ravens and I love that connection to Poe. I think it was a great choice for a name and colors in Baltimore. I didn't like getting rid of the Ravens for that reason. I was just saying, some crazy, weird relocation is not out of the question.

Indianapolis looks an awful lot like Buffalo.

I'm also not a big fan of the logo.

That being said, I like the uniforms and think they look pretty '90's.'

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

2002 Expansion Preview

helmet_zpse2b6cb8a.png

d56d8ed6-ee66-4752-a1df-b25cca5beb2f_zps

Here are the helmets of the two 2002 expansion franchises. Feel free speculate about which cities these teams represent, but you will have to wait to find out for sure. Also, any C&C is definitely welcome.

Too much?

"You serious Clark?"

Seriously, some scenario like that might fit into this alternate timeline, but not Jacksonville. That city has always struck me as an odd place for an NFL franchise. I'm sure they had their reasons for putting a team there but I don't like it.

Also, any C&C on Indianapolis? There really hasn't been much, so is that a good or bad thing?

What was the problem with Jacksonville ? It's in Florida it was an up an coming city which has always been a football crazy town w/GatorBowl especially after the success with USFL it makes since but in this scenario with no relocation tease by the Colts, Oilers, Saints and mildly the Cards maybe it would be a much different feeling or care to pro football in Jacksonville.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

An NFL team in Vancouver makes even less sense than one in Toronto--a much smaller fanbase/market--in TO you have the GTA, but also most of southern Ontario and even some of the US.

In Vancouver you'd have the GVA--which is big, but not the numbers to match the GTA.

And as for US fans--they'd probably stick with the Seahawks.

With Buffalo being close--that's why talk of TO has been the Bills moving.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

2002 Expansion Preview

helmet_zpse2b6cb8a.png

d56d8ed6-ee66-4752-a1df-b25cca5beb2f_zps

Here are the helmets of the two 2002 expansion franchises. Feel free speculate about which cities these teams represent, but you will have to wait to find out for sure. Also, any C&C is definitely welcome.

I'm gonna guess that the first team is Phoenix, and the second is either Nashville or Memphis, but I'm not sure.

Okay, sorry for the long wait, but I have been incredibly busy lately. Finally I have the 2002 expansion completed.

The year is 2002 and the NFL has decided to expand the league again, from 30 to 32 teams. In 2000, five cities, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Phoenix, San Antonio and Birmingham, were chosen as the finalists for expansion. Ultimately, Phoenix and Nashville came out on top of the heap and were each granted an expansion franchise. The NFC and AFC were each re-aligned into four divisions which were, North, South East and West. Phoenix was placed into the NFC West and Nashville into the AFC South.

NFC AFC

NORTH NORTH

Green Bay Packers Baltimore Colts

Minnesota Vikings Pittsburgh Steelers

Chicago Bears Cleveland Browns

Detroit Lions Cincinnati Bengals

SOUTH SOUTH

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Houston Oilers

Carolina Panthers Indianapolis Guardians

Atlanta Falcons Nashville*

New Orleans Saints Kansas City Chiefs

EAST EAST

Dallas Cowboys New England Patriots

New York Giants Buffalo Bills

Washington Redskins New York Jets

Philadelphia Eagles Miami Dolphins

WEST WEST

St. Louis Cardinals Seattle Seahawks

San Francisco 49ers San Diego Chargers

Phoenix* Denver Broncos

Los Angeles Rams Oakland Raiders

In December 2001 The new Phoenix Firebirds unveiled their new uniforms to the public. The uniforms featured a unique shade of purple along with a deep orange, accented by gold and silver.

homeuniform_zps6c664174.png

awayuniform_zps6b738b5a.png

The new uniforms were well received and the gradient wings on the helmet were a revolutionary element and the first of their kind in the NFL.

The next month, in January of 2002, The new Nashville Generals unveiled the franchise's inaugural uniforms on the turf of the team's brand new stadium in front of thousands of eager fans.

homeuniform_zpsb4659a05.png

roaduniform_zps8f3c3817.png

The uniforms and colors were fairly traditional, with some contemporary touches such as the asymmetrical striping pattern and custom number font.

So, What does everybody think? I would love to hear what everyone has to say about these. Also, C&C is appreciated. Thanks for taking a look.

Archived