2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highest number of points obtained in group matches between the teams in question, not points gained in total

that doesn't mean head to head competitions

Between the teams in question means only games against the teams that are tied. That is exactly what head to head is.

jNTsTyQ.png

Highest number of points obtained in group matches between the teams in question, not points gained in total

Between the teams in question means only games against the teams that are tied. That is exactly what head to head is.

but it doesn't mean results of games played against eachother, it means stats overall of the group stage, then goes to matches played against eachother

but it doesn't mean results of games played against eachother, it means stats overall of the group stage, then goes to matches played against eachother

Yes it does. "Points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question," refers to wins/losses/draws against each other.

jNTsTyQ.png

Yes it does. "Points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question," refers to wins/losses/draws against each other.

"If, after applying criteria 1 to 4 to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 8 apply;"

Wow that Russia v Korea Republic match was dire! Goalkeeping errors throughout. Yet again the substitutes come through for their sides for a share of the points. Hell who knows will come out of this group as qualifiers for the Knockout Stage. I was saying Belgium for sure but it took some time for Belgium to find that second and third gear. As for the other Group H qualifier, I can see Korea Republic going through on sheer luck. Both teams are dire and :censored:e!

The tournament's first 12 matches ended without a draw, yet 3 of the last 5 matches have ended in draws, two of which ended 0-0.

Let's hope this isn't a trend; I was really enjoying the decisiveness of this tournament until lately.

25yzwqg.png

"If, after applying criteria 1 to 4 to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 8 apply;"

That's only if you start out with three or four teams tied and have already eliminated one.

'The teams are ranked according to points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss). If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings'. In other words these tiebreakers aren't needed unless teams finish level on points.

-----

Why the hell are we spending so long arguing about the technicalities of Champions League group tables anyway?

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

So this Mexico team, who just hanged a draw against the freaking Brazilians, is the same squad who derped their way through the Hex and had to kiss Jurgen's Zusi's ass for the U.S. saving them?

Is this total mind-blown or is it just me?

I think we are the only two people that are shocked by this which means that we must be missing something very important.

Can someone fill us in on what exactly we are missing.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I took advantage of World Cup fever and put together a predicted field for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, including possible groups that I generated using Random.org.

New to the field of 32: Denmark, Egypt, Jamaica, Serbia, Morocco

2014 finalists that missed the cut: Cameroon, Greece, Ecuador, Honduras, Algeria

Non-2014 finalists that barely missed the cut: Iceland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Burkina Faso, Tunisia, Paraguay

Group template:

Group X

Hosts/Seeds

UEFA

CONMEBOL/CAF

CONCACAF/AFC

---------

Group A

Russia

Croatia

Chile

Iran

Group B (this isn't even funny, Random.org :P)

Netherlands

Denmark

Ghana

United States

Group C

Italy

Portugal

Egypt

Costa Rica

Group D

Argentina

Spain

Colombia

Australia

Group E

Germany

France

Uruguay

Mexico

Group F

Brazil

Switzerland

Nigeria

Japan

Group G

Belgium

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Côte d'Ivoire

Jamaica

Group H

England

Serbia

Morocco

South Korea

25yzwqg.png

England as an 8 seed?

The 1-7 seeds were randomized and distributed between Groups B-H (the hosts Russia get Group A) so England would be one of the top seven seeds in 2018 in this scenario. They've got quite the youth movement to pull it off, in my opinion. If Switzerland can pull off a top seven seed in 2014, then why can't England in 2018?

25yzwqg.png

AC, your Group E would be considered the group of death without any doubts: Germany, France, Uruguay and Mexico :P As for the possibility, that could actually happen. I don't think Cameroon won't make it in 2018 as they barely got into the 2014 World Cup with Togo having to forfeit matches due to fielding ineligible players. Greece won't make it due to inability to score but got an ok defense (didn't see that against Chile). Algeria and Ecuador won't make it due to the increase level of competition in CONMEBOL and CAF. As for Honduras, they won't qualify for 2018 but they will again eliminate Canada from the third qualifying round of CONCACAF :angered:

Well played to Mexico for holding a Brazil side that seemed more content on just holding possesion and passing the ball around the midfield. It was only when Jo came on that Brazil really looked they would produce a goal.

Hopefully after yesterday we will see a few more positive results as Cameroon and Croatia will both be looking to avoid being the first teams to not qualify from a group and both need a win to stay in the competition. Australia will certainly be out after playing the Netherlands and Spain will need to get into gear or it's over for them against Chile. So I am expecting plenty of good football today.

glory10.png

Archived