2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game is incredible. One of the best games of all time; Costa Rica might pull it off. I'm not rooting for the underdog in this one though.

I can't say it was one of the best games in this tourny let alone all-time. Costa Rica was defending against the Dutch attack the entire game. Save maybe 3 chances, Costa Rica literally did nothing, offensively speaking, the whole game.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

This game is incredible. One of the best games of all time; Costa Rica might pull it off. I'm not rooting for the underdog in this one though.

I can't say it was one of the best games in this tourny let alone all-time. Costa Rica was defending against the Dutch attack the entire game. Save maybe 3 chances, Costa Rica literally did nothing, offensively speaking, the whole game.

Considering how the Dutch are supposed to be one of the best offenses in the world, I suspect a 0-0 draw does indeed constitute a fine performance.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

First off, credit to Costa Rica for basically playing their hearts out only to fall in a shootout. They played their game and despite having no offense what so ever, they nearly won. Of course, it helps that the frame is your best friend. I mean, good gravy! How many shots were going to hit the frame?!?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I know this was a few pages back, but I wanted to bring this up for dfwabel.

You got it. They have to keep progressing, but Copa America in 2016 will be the first test.

Correction: The first test will be the 2015 Gold Cup. Winning here ensures that the Americans will be at the Confederations Cup in 2017 (Either that or get stuck in CONCACAF's crazy ass playoff to see who goes to Russia).

Then, you have the Copa America Centario the following year. Three tournaments that will help boost the Americans' stock in terms of football.

Even with that, all three are small fries compared to the big daddy that is the World Cup. Making progress in the World Cup means far much more then winning a Gold Cup or the Copa America.

Considering how the Dutch are supposed to be one of the best offenses in the world, I suspect a 0-0 draw does indeed constitute a fine performance.

Oh yeah. Los Ticos did a fine job defensively. They utilize a scheme that plays to their players strengths. It just wasn't an "all-time great game" especially so when one side has to have nine players defending to stand a chance.

Costa Rica played to their strengths by parking the bus as they knew it would be the only way to shut out the dutch. The strategy was spot on and almost worked.

Van Gaal explains that the keeper switch was due to Krul being two inches taller and having a longer reach. The switch also played on the Costa Rican players minds due to Krul prowling the penalty area intimidating the kickers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180659

glory10.png

Costa Rica played to their strengths by parking the bus as they knew it would be the only way to shut out the dutch. The strategy was spot on and almost worked.

Van Gaal explains that the keeper switch was due to Krul being two inches taller and having a longer reach. The switch also played on the Costa Rican players minds due to Krul prowling the penalty area intimidating the kickers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28180659

An offensive spectacle doesn't necessarily make a game any more or less great, especially in soccer. Watching Costa Ricas style of "park the bus" and attempt a couple quick counters is what made that game great. By the end it, Costa Rica was setting up a few good attacks. And that shoot out, well... phenomenal.

The keeper change, the 0-0 draw, the buzz from Netherlands and the Cinderella story known as Costa Rica made that game just an absolute delight to watch.

Given the type of injury he sustained, if Neymar decides to try playing against a shattered vertebrae, he could be permanently paralyzed.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/no-neymar-cant-come-back-this-world-cup-that-could-pa-1600514605/+kylenw

Cue all these "Neymar is a p#ssy because soccer and NFL players can play through it because 'Murica!" macho idiots in 3...2...1...

Given the type of injury he sustained, if Neymar decides to try playing against a shattered vertebrae, he could be permanently paralyzed.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/no-neymar-cant-come-back-this-world-cup-that-could-pa-1600514605/+kylenw

Cue all these "Neymar is a p#ssy because soccer and NFL players can play through it because 'Murica!" macho idiots in 3...2...1...

No one gave :censored: to manning when he messed up his neck, no one is expecting anyone including neymar to be able to even run with a broken back.

No one gave :censored: to manning when he messed up his neck, no one is expecting anyone including neymar to be able to even run with a broken back.

Agreed. Dba, just stop and think man. You literally don't make any sense. No one is going to give any player s*** for not playing when he has a broken back.

Agreed. Dba, just stop and think man. You literally don't make any sense. No one is going to give any player s*** for not playing when he has a broken back.

I'm sure that there will be a couple of idiots out there saying that but it is completely insane to expect anyone to play any sport with a broken back.

For the Semifinals tomorrow and Wednesday, the match officials will be:

Brazil v Germany - Marco Rodriguez (MEX)

Netherlands v Argentina - Cuneyt Cakir (TUR)

As well, Howard Webb and his two English assistants were part of a 15 referees that were kept for the final four. There is a possibility that Howard Webb could get the Final. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28199265

In other World Cup news, Brazilian police have arrested chief executive Ray Whelan of a Fifa partner company, Match Hospitality, as part of investigations into the illegal sale of World Cup tickets. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-28205082

Archived