College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how many jerseys Nike sells. Are people really going to go out and by the green and then the white?

I'd say it's more about getting people talking about Nike. Even among those that don't like the uniforms, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Nike has gotten its name out a ton for this tournament. And that leads to sales of shoes, T-shirts, shorts, etc. And Oregon apparel (not so much jerseys, I would guess).

On SportsCenter this morning, they spent five entire minutes with a "fashion expert" breaking down the two teams' new Nike uniforms and "can you believe they aren't using green or yellow?" That's absolutely why Nike did this. Free advertising from ESPN, even before we get to the title game and have to hear the announcers highlight Nike's "unorthodox" Oregon jerseys several times.

Exactly. That was the point a few of us made about Nike's infamous disco collars in the NFL. People would say, "can't Nike see how ugly that are?"... of course they could, that was the whole point. People talked about them and Nike got brought up again and again. Just like this.

I think that's my main problem with the current state of uniform design in sports in general. The whole client/vender relationship is turned ass backwards. Nike/Adidas/Under Armor actually PAY the school for the right to supply them with uniforms and that turns the whole notion of who is the "customer" upside down. If a school is paying a manufacturer to supply them with uniforms, the school has the right to dictate everything, and the manufacturer has the obligation put that schools best interests first, no questions. But if it's the other way around? Sure, ideally, the companies are going to claim the "clients" needs come first, but you see what actually happens. Nike, Adidas, Under Armor... it's obvious that their priority is to insure that their brand gets talked about just as much, if not more, than the school's.

And you can see it with the coverage this is getting. In chat rooms when people talk about tOSU's black TV numbers they ask, "Why did Ohio State do that?"... and when they talk about Oregon's lack of school colors they ask "Why did Nike do that?" Both schools supplied by Nike, but the assumptions people make are hugely different. Because Ohio State has kept a tighter grip on their brand. Because, you know... tradition.

There are still new ideas for Oregon football, I would suggest putting that cartoon duck on the helmet. And make that duck huge, much like the Boise State Bronco, and have the other side of the helmet having the individual player number.

No. That is a terrible idea that should never see the light of day.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

There are still new ideas for Oregon football, I would suggest putting that cartoon duck on the helmet. And make that duck huge, much like the Boise State Bronco, and have the other side of the helmet having the individual player number.

So you want Oregon to look like 30 other schools? Who knew Tulane and Old Dominion would be such trendsetters...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But to say that black and grey are NOT part of Oregon's color scheme is to be ignorant of the past 5-10 years.

The University's colors are green and gold. What you are describing is the football team (or athletic department). I don't like the fact that they want to forge an identity that is independent of the very school they allegedly represent.

Didn't Nike develop the current O logo? And didn't the school adopt that as their academic mark recently?

Honestly I've heard the argument "can you imagine how the boosters and alumni of these traditional schools would react if their schools did this?" Well oregon alumni is the reason they're doing this so I'm sure there is no problem.

What team with a white chrome winged helmet, white chrome winged jerseys and gray pants can be interpreted as anyone but oregon?

It'll be interesting to see whether other teams start doing it though. If 10 teams try to make uniforms that look like they'd look on a black-and-white TV (yes, those used to exist) it'll be tough to tell who's who.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

But to say that black and grey are NOT part of Oregon's color scheme is to be ignorant of the past 5-10 years.

The University's colors are green and gold. What you are describing is the football team (or athletic department). I don't like the fact that they want to forge an identity that is independent of the very school they allegedly represent.

Didn't Nike develop the current O logo? And didn't the school adopt that as their academic mark recently?

Honestly I've heard the argument "can you imagine how the boosters and alumni of these traditional schools would react if their schools did this?" Well oregon alumni is the reason they're doing this so I'm sure there is no problem.

What team with a white chrome winged helmet, white chrome winged jerseys and gray pants can be interpreted as anyone but oregon?

It can't be interepreted as anyone else, but if that's the case why not throw some green and gold in there while you're at it? Make it even more identifiable.

Being a big soccer fan, I don't have a problem with Oregon's colors. I love how many soccer teams have clash or 3rd kits that use completely different colors. I know it's not for everyone but I don't mind it.

People were lamenting the fact that Argentina nearly won the world cup in a dumb clash kit. Same thing here.

Usually I like to see what Oregon is wearing and I don't normally mind if they're not in school colors, but that's when they're playing the Arizonas or Portland States. In this case, though, where it's (potentially) the biggest moment in the school's history and they won't be wearing any school colors just strikes me as the wrong time or place to be testing the strength of their brand. I mean, they were able to wear school colors and look new and fresh in the Rose Bowl. Why can't they also do that in this game?

PvO6ZWJ.png

It can't be interepreted as anyone else, but if that's the case why not throw some green and gold in there while you're at it? Make it even more identifiable.

Being a big soccer fan, I don't have a problem with Oregon's colors. I love how many soccer teams have clash or 3rd kits that use completely different colors. I know it's not for everyone but I don't mind it.

I don't normally mind it when they're playing Arizona or Portland State, but in this case where it's (potentially) the biggest moment in the school's history and they won't be wearing any school colors just strikes me as the wrong time or place to be playing around with brand strategy. I mean, they were able to wear school colors and look new and fresh in the Rose Bowl. Why can't they also do that in this game?

People were lamenting the fact that Argentina nearly won the world cup in a dumb clash kit. Same thing here.

That's the thing. They absolutely nailed that. It was as good as they've looked in a long time. Could they not simply have green numbers with yellow outlines and green and/or yellow wings (prefer "O") on the helmet? New "fresh" look. School colors. Everyone happy.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

That's the thing. They absolutely nailed that. It was as good as they've looked in a long time. Could they not simply have green numbers with yellow outlines and green and/or yellow wings (prefer "O") on the helmet? New "fresh" look. School colors. Everyone happy.

Right. Everyone would be happy except for Nike. Other than us nerds and some Oregon fans, nobody would talk about their uniforms or even notice. Nike would get nothing out of doing the right thing. Instead, they came up with about the most offensive combo imaginable, with no single element of that Rose Bowl set, and are getting a whole bunch of free publicity from it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Most school's athletic departments have very different identities than the academic institutions they represent.

What's that third set of uniforms?

Soccer

Most schools/academic insitutions have the same colors as their athletic identities though. Like 99%.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Everything that could be said about the Oregon unis has been said, so I'll just say this:

If Nike did put green numbers on this set, it would still be Nike trotting out another new jersey for the sake of Nike. The only difference is that some of yall just don't like this one. I don't think that argument has any legs.

Also, I'll agree that at this point black and silver are just as much "school colors" as Green and yellow. All they need to do at this point is put it on paper so Colorwerx can settle the argument for us.

Right. Everyone would be happy except for Nike. Other than us nerds and some Oregon fans, nobody would talk about their uniforms or even notice. Nike would get nothing out of doing the right thing. Instead, they came up with about the most offensive combo imaginable, with no single element of that Rose Bowl set, and are getting a whole bunch of free publicity from it.

But I think Nike could be happy. They still get new uniforms...some have wings on the helmets, some have the "O". This would be white-on-white-on-white with gray wings but Green numbers with yellow trim. I suppose some people would notice less and there'd be less talk about Nike (so maybe that ends our discussion) but we'd still be talking about 'em at a disproportionate level.

POTD (Shared)

Everything that could be said about the Oregon unis has been said, so I'll just say this:

If Nike did put green numbers on this set, it would still be Nike trotting out another new jersey for the sake of Nike. The only difference is that some of yall just don't like this one. I don't think that argument has any legs.

That's a good point. They used school colors last game and everyone was talking about them.

Oregon is going with a yellow wordmark in the endzone, which I find very interesting..

Years from now people may look back at this game and not be able to recognize Ohio State, but I guarantee people will see the crazy wings on the helmet, and the seeming uniqueness of the uniform and know it is Oregon. That is what they have built.

I know it isn't what most of us on this site agree with, but the way I see Oregon is this: Ohio State is one of college football's biggest programs, but if you picked a random person off the street, any young kid, any old lady, any body, would they for sure be able to tell you that it was Ohio State? I would say less than half the time they would.

But if you did the same thing with any one of Oregon's crazy uniform, more non-CFB fans, and especially most of the kids would be able to tell you that it was Oregon.

And whether you like it or not, Oregon has built a huge and nationally recognized brand by doing the exact opposite of how it is usually done. But that's how it is. I'm pretty sure Nike isn't hurting one bit

That's a good point. They used school colors last game and everyone was talking about them.

Oregon is going with a yellow wordmark in the endzone, which I find very interesting..

Not that odd. Autzen's had a yellow wordmark in the endzones for years. Heck, it's probably the only consistent thing about the Ducks, design-wise. I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the Boise Bandwagon and carbon'd up their field or something.

travel_g_05autzen_800.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Not that odd. Autzen's had a yellow wordmark in the endzones for years. Heck, it's probably the only consistent thing about the Ducks, design-wise. I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the Boise Bandwagon and carbon'd up their field or something.

Oh yeah no I'm aware of that but I figured they would've gone grayscale for the endzone as well. It's currently sitting on a gray background but I'm not sure if that's the background or just an underlayer.

Urban Meyer on whether he talks about alternate uniforms with recruits: "I bring pictures and all that, act like I like it."

There is something to be said about this.

Oregon has pretty much built a National Contending football program out of nothing. I'll go out on a limb and say that the Nike produced plethora of uniforms plays a huge part in Oregon's recruiting. And as everyone knows, recruiting is the lifeline of college football.

So you know what... go for it Oregon. You made it to the College Football Playoff Championship Game from basically a non-existent football program 10 years ago. You do you.

Years from now people may look back at this game and not be able to recognize Ohio State, but I guarantee people will see the crazy wings on the helmet, and the seeming uniqueness of the uniform and know it is Oregon. That is what they have built.

I know it isn't what most of us on this site agree with, but the way I see Oregon is this: Ohio State is one of college football's biggest programs, but if you picked a random person off the street, any young kid, any old lady, any body, would they for sure be able to tell you that it was Ohio State? I would say less than half the time they would.

But if you did the same thing with any one of Oregon's crazy uniform, more non-CFB fans, and especially most of the kids would be able to tell you that it was Oregon.

And whether you like it or not, Oregon has built a huge and nationally recognized brand by doing the exact opposite of how it is usually done. But that's how it is. I'm pretty sure Nike isn't hurting one bit

There's no way you're right about this. You're claiming there's more brand equity in this one-off uniform than the uniform Ohio State has worn since the late 60's? Excuse me while I laugh because that couldn't be more untrue. Simple logic dictates it's untrue.

OSU has worn this uniform since the late 60's, which might as well be forever. OSU has been good since the late 60's. Oregon's never worn this uniform and their heydey has been the last decade and a half at best. There's far more recognizability in maintaining the same image forever than there is in constantly changing.

How will people not be able to recognize Ohio State looking back on this game? In 20 years they'll still be wearing the same uniform, while Oregon will be in whatever the hot trend of the day is. It's no contest who will be more recognizable the instant this tape is shown.

PvO6ZWJ.png

oregon is way less contrarian than you think...they still play football like all of the other elite programs...their #1 asset which has helped them ascend the way they have has been dumping $$$ into facility upgrades, coaching salaries, recruiting budgets, etc. which basically means that they started to spend $ like an elite football program. The most unique aspect of their chip kelly brand rise to prominence is their strength & conditioning program which was basically borrowed from european pro soccer & rugby. The uniforms are a part of the overall effort but by no means the foundation of the program.

Oh yeah no I'm aware of that but I figured they would've gone grayscale for the endzone as well. It's currently sitting on a gray background but I'm not sure if that's the background or just an underlayer.

That's the inherent problem of the grayscale uniform...they've asked their fans to wear yellow so you'll have a crowd in yellow and some green...the sideline gear will likely be a combination of black and green while the team is white/gray...then you have your yellow end zone. Ohio State won't have that problem of lacking visual consistency.

Archived