College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I've noticed that almost all of the retailers originally selling the jerseys Oregon said they were wearing for the CG are no longer selling them. In their place are the white Mach Speed jerseys and the black Hypercool jerseys with championship patches. There's confirmation on another board from a Nike employee that said these are the only jerseys with the patches on them in the Nike employees' store and the assumed CG one is nowhere to be seen.

15692-2T.jpg?142055109815693-2T.jpg?1420551679

So it sold out and they are pushing old product?

I don't think so. The new CG jerseys were available for most of December and up until late last night but some fans pointed out this morning that they were completely gone from the websites of the UO Bookstore, Oregon athletic department store, Fanatics, and Nike. Typically when those websites sell out, they'll still list the product but just show there are no more sizes available or put "Sold Out" on the item listing.

Maybe someone actually heard our collective ranting.

I feel like Nike/Oregon have just legitimized the wrong-color sports apparel schtick that rappers have been doing for decades. Like you'll see some west coast MC rocking a Dodgers "LA" cap, but it's like yellow and pink or some crap. Nike just realized they can put the Oregon logo and uniforms into (almost) any color scheme and people will buy it.

It's like the second coming of zubaz.

Yeah, it's all those rappers' faults, like that MC Limp Biscuit with his red Yankees hat that he wears for the noogies.

:)

(For the record, I always liked Nelly's Cardinals cap in the Blues' colorway.)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Nike/Oregon have just legitimized the wrong-color sports apparel schtick that rappers have been doing for decades. Like you'll see some west coast MC rocking a Dodgers "LA" cap, but it's like yellow and pink or some crap. Nike just realized they can put the Oregon logo and uniforms into (almost) any color scheme and people will buy it.

It's like the second coming of zubaz.

Yeah, it's all those rappers' faults, like that MC Limp Biscuit with his red Yankees hat that he wears for the noogies.

:)

(For the record, I always liked Nelly's Cardinals cap in the Blues' colorway.)

Place the blame where it belongs: on New Era/LogoAthletic/Starter/etc for actually producing the designs (in an effort to generate more income), not on the "rappers" who bought them.

I've been a hip hop fan since the '80s, and while there was a time in hip hop's infancy when artists would wear fake luxury label accessories (e.g., Gucci, MCM, etc. -- before the fashion houses cracked down on Dapper Dan), nobody wore sports fan gear in non-standard colors until the licensed apparel manufacturers started marketing them that way in the early-mid '00s (if memory serves).

Now, hip hop culture *did* popularize wearing throwback jerseys in the early/mid-'00s, but artists tended to stick to "authentics" from Mitchell & Ness, etc.. And, while clothing designers catering to the evolving hip hop community have used sports uniforms as inspiration (e.g., early '90s Cross Colours' baseball caps and varsity jackets; late '90s/early '00s FUBU football jerseys), but they were purely fashion gear, and weren't tied to any team.

In other words: I don't understand what you're talking about. I'd wager that manufacturers introduced fashion-colored fan gear for strategic reasons: a higher # of stock keeping units would help push other brands off the shelf of specialty stores like Lidz. It's the same reason why Colgate-Palmolive produces a dozen different varieties of Colgate.

The CG jersey is back up on Nike's website but that's the only place I can find it now. The editor-in-chief of the UO athletic department website said the jerseys were selling well and likely sold out but that doesn't really explain why they were gone from every site yesterday but only just now popped back only on Nike's website. Something seems really off about this since I don't get why you put CG patches on old jerseys instead of just ordering more actual CG jerseys.

I work with two Oregon graduates. One is in his late 20's, the other his late 40's. I asked both what they thought of the uniforms for the National Championship Game. Both said they wished they were wearing the green Rose Bowl uniforms in this game. The guy in his 40's bemoaned the lack of school colors in the NCG uniforms. The guy in his 20's said he thought they were sick.

Very small poll I took.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Disappointed that both end zones are black. I wonder what the thinking behind that was. I saw a close-up when they were painting them and it looked like the Ohio State end zone was gray which I thought was pretty cool.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not bothered by the black end zones, really. With championship games (and all bowls, plus most CCGs) you have to expect a ton of tie-ins, branding and sponsors. It just goes with the territory.

You never see a big name celebrity summoning the National Anthem before the Florida-FSU game, etc.

====

Edit- phone autocorrected "singing the National Anthem" to "summoning." Whatever, I'm leaving it. Sounds cooler.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived