College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

It's like freaking out at Apple for releasing different colored iPhones. "But but but! How will anyone know it's an iPhone if it's gold?! This is their flagship product, it should be black and silver!"

This analogy proves that it's the invisible corporate hand that drives the program. Which is a shame. "Because Nike's CEO went to our school and we need to help their bottom line" should never be a staple.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is about Nike selling a second jersey for Oregon and Ohio State.

This is literally the only reason. It's not about branding or tradition or anything. It's about Nike making a few extra bucks by selling two more jerseys. The end.

Wouldn't they sell plenty of white jerseys with green if that was the uniform? Pretty sure #8's jersey is the highest jersey in demand right now.

I think a lot of people are getting too hung up by color. It's not like Oregon's uniform design changes every week. It's not like they're not coming out for the national championship wearing black and grey shoulder loops. Doesn't matter what color comes out, you see wings, you know it's Oregon.

It's like freaking out at Apple for releasing different colored iPhones. "But but but! How will anyone know it's an iPhone if it's gold?! This is their flagship product, it should be black and silver!"

Sports teams have their color schemes, and by and large that's been a primary way of identifying them for a long time. But to say that black and grey are NOT part of Oregon's color scheme is to be ignorant of the past 5-10 years. Yes, green and yellow are their official school colors but you can't deny that what they're wearing in the National Championship game is not definitively Oregon-esque.

Other than this Oregon uniform looking like a white iphone I don't buy that analogy. Apple is not an institution of higher learning that has a history of school colors and thousands of alumni.

Colleges endear their school colors to students, alumni, and fans and create bonds for colors that nobody would otherwise cheer for (purple and orange for Clemson, orange and green for Miami, brown and light blue for Tufts, to name some examples). Sports team colors are bright and recognizable and it's what connects the past with the present and future.

Green and yellow were Oregon's colors decades before Nike decided to experiment with whites and grays and blacks. And green and yellow will be Oregon's colors long after they decide to stop experimenting. In your biggest moment in school history, wear your damn colors.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is literally the only reason. It's not about branding or tradition or anything. It's about Nike making a few extra bucks by selling two more jerseys. The end.

Wouldn't they sell plenty of white jerseys with green if that was the uniform? Pretty sure #8's jersey is the highest jersey in demand right now.
They already sell two (I think?) white jerseys with green numerals and/or wings. They're using this as an opportunity to sell something different.

I'm assuming that this was a strategic choice by nike. When they unveiled this template last bowl season the white version was in school colors and the dark was a black/yellow alt. Since they are using the same template & design they basically flipped the designs to make the dark version the traditional kelly/yellow and the white a grayscale alt.

Let's not kid ourselves here the #1 strategy behind this uniform program was to sell jerseys. Nike designed their uniforms with the assumption of an oregon-alabama final which is why we're seeing the high seed wearing white. Nike knew they could force oregon into their whites no matter what. No way they could get any other school that was a #2 seed to even consider such a thing. If the ducks had complete independence in picking their jerseys I guarantee that they would reuse their rose bowl jerseys or pick another dark jersey from their wardrobe.

Lastly the grayscale look is flat out the blandest look that oregon has ever come up with. I'd rather see their raiders knock off with silver/black/silver if they're going to abandon green/yellow.

This is about Nike selling a second jersey for Oregon and Ohio State. That everyone saw three weeks ago and thought were pretty cool for a semi-final game.

That's my take on this. Do I think they'd look better with the other options discussed? Yes. But I also know that this isn't a new look for them. Why is it that these would be cool for a PAC-12 game but not for the National Championship? They've proven that they will wear whatever Nike gives them, short of candy striped pants and polka dot football helmets.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This is about Nike selling a second jersey for Oregon and Ohio State. That everyone saw three weeks ago and thought were pretty cool for a semi-final game.

That's my take on this. Do I think they'd look better with the other options discussed? Yes. But I also know that this isn't a new look for them. Why is it that these would be cool for a PAC-12 game but not for the National Championship? They've proven that they will wear whatever Nike gives them, short of candy striped pants and polka dot football helmets.

Pac-12 games are routine and forgettable. National Championship games are not.

This analogy proves that it's the invisible corporate hand that drives the program. Which is a shame. "Because Nike's CEO went to our school and we need to help their bottom line" should never be a staple.

Is it a shame? You can argue about what a school should do all day long but the fact is this: Oregon was a middle of the pack football program until Nike got involved. Between Phil Knight's contributions to improve facilities and Nike's work rebranding them, Oregon doesn't make a National Championship game without them.

But to say that black and grey are NOT part of Oregon's color scheme is to be ignorant of the past 5-10 years.

The University's colors are green and gold. What you are describing is the football team (or athletic department). I don't like the fact that they want to forge an identity that is independent of the very school they allegedly represent.

But to say that black and grey are NOT part of Oregon's color scheme is to be ignorant of the past 5-10 years.

The University's colors are green and gold. What you are describing is the football team (or athletic department). I don't like the fact that they want to forge an identity that is independent of the very school they allegedly represent.

Yes, you're totally right. Only the football team deviates from green and yellow.

oregon-ducks-basketball-jerseys.jpg14361514-standard.jpg7919922342_d7e290a727_b.jpg

tumblr_miuphl9Epq1rzl29do1_1280.jpg

Yes, you're totally right. Only the football team deviates from green and yellow.

You're right, I wish I had included the athletic department in my original statement. Oh, wait a minute....

What's that third set of uniforms?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't know how many jerseys Nike sells. Are people really going to go out and by the green and then the white?

I'd say it's more about getting people talking about Nike. Even among those that don't like the uniforms, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Nike has gotten its name out a ton for this tournament. And that leads to sales of shoes, T-shirts, shorts, etc. And Oregon apparel (not so much jerseys, I would guess).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't know how many jerseys Nike sells. Are people really going to go out and by the green and then the white?

I'd say it's more about getting people talking about Nike. Even among those that don't like the uniforms, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Nike has gotten its name out a ton for this tournament. And that leads to sales of shoes, T-shirts, shorts, etc. And Oregon apparel (not so much jerseys, I would guess).

On SportsCenter this morning, they spent five entire minutes with a "fashion expert" breaking down the two teams' new Nike uniforms and "can you believe they aren't using green or yellow?" That's absolutely why Nike did this. Free advertising from ESPN, even before we get to the title game and have to hear the announcers highlight Nike's "unorthodox" Oregon jerseys several times.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Didn't Nike develop the current O logo? And didn't the school adopt that as their academic mark recently?

Honestly I've heard the argument "can you imagine how the boosters and alumni of these traditional schools would react if their schools did this?" Well oregon alumni is the reason they're doing this so I'm sure there is no problem.

What team with a white chrome winged helmet, white chrome winged jerseys and gray pants can be interpreted as anyone but oregon?

Archived