New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Browns season ticket holder here.

I like the Brown facemask. I wasn't ever thrilled with the gray cage, but wasn't really against it, either.

As for what's been said about the uniforms/logos. I wanted a logo. But, I wanted the uniforms mostly to be left alone. Color shading didn't matter to me. In fact, I felt the Browns had too much of a creamsicle look, especially when they wore the orange pants or the orange jersey (thank god those two didn't exist in the same season). Issue with the brown pants was, as mentioned, the lack of a stripe equal to the white or orange pants.

But, back to the logo. I wanted something for merchandise. I wanted a team logo that could be placed about the stadium, on publications, etc that would, if not immediately, would become our 'identity' when off the field, but the iconic orange logo-less helmet would be our identity on it.

Sadly, the team failed to learn. They seemed to go in the complete opposite direction, and it appears because they a) didn't ask the right questions, and B) made assumptions based on those questions' answers.

Namely, fans didn't want a logo on the helmet and were defiant about it. I agree. I do not want a logo on the helmet. We've gone since 1946 without a logo on the helmet, why start now? However, they seemed to make the assumption that not wanting a helmet logo meant not wanting a logo. Which was idiotic at best, or 'That's the Browns" at worst. Problem is, I don't think they asked these 'focus groups' what they wanted with regard to a logo. Or whether they were happy with the helmet logo. In fact, I'm faily confident that they gave fans the option: get a helmet logo and merchandise logo, or maintain the status quo.

This reminds me of the College Football Playoff. The fact that nobody could agree on a 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 team playoffs, neutral site/bowl games/home field, December, January, etc schedule that somehow the status quo was what the majority wanted. Without realizing that the majority would take any form of a playoff over the BCS.

I have two shirts my fiancee has purchased for me. Both are simple wordmark shirts that read "CLEVELAND BROWNS" in two rows. That's it. The one has a very tine helmet under BROWNS about the size of a quarter. I'm not interested in wearing a giant orange helmet anymore. Mostly because they had other options that would work for merchandise. The football B, the dawghead logo, the elf, anything. I bought them and wore those. Or the jersey itself. But, it just seemed idiotic that today, in 2015, we're using, essentially, the logo that Art Modell pioneered. He hated the Elf, I say bring him back. The best the Browns ever did was with the Elf. The most heartbreaking times in our existence (3 AFC championship losses, two playoff losses to Pittsburgh, losing our team for THREE years, etc) all happened when we just had a helmet as our logo.

I think that about sums it up.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already - I looked around before posting so I apologize if I missed it - but I was looking at the new logo, and does anyone else see some sort of pattern in the brown stripe? I could just be seeing a jumble of pixels but it looks like something's there.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already - I looked around before posting so I apologize if I missed it - but I was looking at the new logo, and does anyone else see some sort of pattern in the brown stripe? I could just be seeing a jumble of pixels but it looks like something's there.

no just pixels, really really messed pixels

when do the unis come out?

Looking at the 2D version doesn't really translate the same because it's a different logo altogether.. You can't really argue that it's just a different angle of the same logo, because they're both 2D.. Anyway, I digress..

I wasn't pointing that out to be argumentative.. I was basically trying to give validity to the comment that it's a generic, stock helmet logo that isn't brand-specific. I think it's easy enough to argue either way, but with the obvious schutt-style facemask and lack of raised center crown strip, this could justifiably be identified as any of a number of classic helmet models. I think that's the basic point others have tried to make here as a reason to not update the helmet model in the logo update. I was just pointing out several clues that would suggest there are as many subtleties in the classic helmet logo that would point away from riddell as the ones that would point towards riddell..

Except it's not generic. It may not be exact (artistic license) but the graphic is clearly based off a riddell mask & helmet. The only reason why you think it's generic is because the riddell vsr4 was the most commonly worn helmet for 20+ years so it effectively became the default image that artists used. The mask was also clearly riddell. The shell shape on the underside that runs from the jaw to ear to neck is also clearly riddell, when compared to the smooth angular lines of a schutt shell from the era.

Compare David Archer (riddell) of the Sac Surge to Troy Aikman (schutt/bike) Ucla and it's not even close.

Archer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gumballking/5403274116/in/set-72157625942616192

Aikman: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/AL/ALHVWCSQWGJSCPK.20131114054100.jpg

If you take some time to actually scrutinize the two images, there's really no doubt.

Bottom line that helmet graphic is a relic of an ugly 80's helmet style. If they truly wanted to go with a generic helmet they should go back another two decades or so.

You are absolutely correct. I think to the untrained eye, they look the same. But you are so on target with that "ugly 80's" style. The slant of the cage near the earhole is just disturbing to me. I agree that they should have updated the facemask years ago. Even when the Browns went to grey a few years back, they could have done it then. I get that the new Riddell revolution is more prevalent, but I prefer the old Riddell/Schutt helmet, but with Brady/Rogers facemask. Although I can't find an example on NFL.com, during the season the weekly match ups have helmets. They are a perfect representation of the correct facemask. Actually, this is what it usually looks like: http://www.clipartpanda.com/clipart_images/new-york-giants-nfl-football-48919645

To an untrained eye, you're correct.. Most helmets all look alike to the untrained eye.. But I'm an equipment manager for a college football team. I can identify helmets and corresponding facemask in my sleep. My point wasn't to prove that the logo isn't based off of a riddell helmet (it was the official helmet of the entire league for Christ's sake.. It only makes sense that it's BASED off of a riddell helmet).. My point is that I can just as easily point out subtleties to argue against it being riddell, so my basic point was to support the claim someone else made earlier that it's meant to be perceived as a generic logo, rather than a specific brand or helmet model. Call it artistic license, call it whatever you want, but it's missing riddell specific cues just like it contains riddell specific cues, so I would certainly agree that it's based off of a riddell helmet, but it doesn't copy it perfectly.. It's clearly intended to be a generic helmet template. That's all I was attempting to suggest.. And I agree, if they want a throwback look, get a throwback look, but riding the fence like this will not last much longer with the decline of the traditionally shaped helmet..

And I know to the untrained eye they look similar, but Brady and Rodgers wear different masks..

Looking at the 2D version doesn't really translate the same because it's a different logo altogether.. You can't really argue that it's just a different angle of the same logo, because they're both 2D.. Anyway, I digress..

I wasn't pointing that out to be argumentative.. I was basically trying to give validity to the comment that it's a generic, stock helmet logo that isn't brand-specific. I think it's easy enough to argue either way, but with the obvious schutt-style facemask and lack of raised center crown strip, this could justifiably be identified as any of a number of classic helmet models. I think that's the basic point others have tried to make here as a reason to not update the helmet model in the logo update. I was just pointing out several clues that would suggest there are as many subtleties in the classic helmet logo that would point away from riddell as the ones that would point towards riddell..

Except it's not generic. It may not be exact (artistic license) but the graphic is clearly based off a riddell mask & helmet. The only reason why you think it's generic is because the riddell vsr4 was the most commonly worn helmet for 20+ years so it effectively became the default image that artists used. The mask was also clearly riddell. The shell shape on the underside that runs from the jaw to ear to neck is also clearly riddell, when compared to the smooth angular lines of a schutt shell from the era.

Compare David Archer (riddell) of the Sac Surge to Troy Aikman (schutt/bike) Ucla and it's not even close.

Archer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gumballking/5403274116/in/set-72157625942616192

Aikman: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/AL/ALHVWCSQWGJSCPK.20131114054100.jpg

If you take some time to actually scrutinize the two images, there's really no doubt.

Bottom line that helmet graphic is a relic of an ugly 80's helmet style. If they truly wanted to go with a generic helmet they should go back another two decades or so.

You are absolutely correct. I think to the untrained eye, they look the same. But you are so on target with that "ugly 80's" style. The slant of the cage near the earhole is just disturbing to me. I agree that they should have updated the facemask years ago. Even when the Browns went to grey a few years back, they could have done it then. I get that the new Riddell revolution is more prevalent, but I prefer the old Riddell/Schutt helmet, but with Brady/Rogers facemask. Although I can't find an example on NFL.com, during the season the weekly match ups have helmets. They are a perfect representation of the correct facemask. Actually, this is what it usually looks like: http://www.clipartpanda.com/clipart_images/new-york-giants-nfl-football-48919645

To an untrained eye, you're correct.. Most helmets all look alike to the untrained eye.. But I'm an equipment manager for a college football team. I can identify helmets and corresponding facemask in my sleep. My point wasn't to prove that the logo isn't based off of a riddell helmet (it was the official helmet of the entire league for Christ's sake.. It only makes sense that it's BASED off of a riddell helmet).. My point is that I can just as easily point out subtleties to argue against it being riddell, so my basic point was to support the claim someone else made earlier that it's meant to be perceived as a generic logo, rather than a specific brand or helmet model. Call it artistic license, call it whatever you want, but it's missing riddell specific cues just like it contains riddell specific cues, so I would certainly agree that it's based off of a riddell helmet, but it doesn't copy it perfectly.. It's clearly intended to be a generic helmet template. That's all I was attempting to suggest.. And I agree, if they want a throwback look, get a throwback look, but riding the fence like this will not last much longer with the decline of the traditionally shaped helmet..

And I know to the untrained eye they look similar, but Brady and Rodgers wear different masks..

110343499-aug-11-2005-green-bay-wi-usa-s

He used to wear Brady's

I'm surprised no one has noticed this, but in the behance website, the white jersey has orange numerals while the brown has white numerals. Foreshadowing?

I think the only way that would happen is if it's the third jersey. I hope that's not the case.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So based on the lack of a white font on that website, can I assume the brown jersey will have orange numbers?

I sincerely doubt it. They tried it already and even with a white outline it turned out to be unreadable.

84%20b%2021%20Whitewell%20Back.JPG1984poster.jpg

Actually went to that Browns/Steelers preseason game in 1984 when the Browns wore the orange numeral jerseys. I can attest that those jerseys numbers were a nightmare to read from the stands.

Clevelandbrowns.com has a lot of orange, and brown is used as a secondary. I have a feeling we're getting another orange primary team.

But they ARE the Browns.

Not named after the color, come on we even have a PINNED topic on this, because it's SO important. :rolleyes:

Clevelandbrowns.com has a lot of orange, and brown is used as a secondary. I have a feeling we're getting another orange primary team.

Not that it isn't possible, but I don't think the website design is necessarily any indicator. If I was asked to design a web page and the colors brown and orange were the main palette, I'm sure I'd lean heavily to orange also... just makes for a brighter website. But that isn't the same mindset you'd bring to a football uniform.

But they ARE the Browns.

Not named after the color, come on we even have a PINNED topic on this, because it's SO important. :rolleyes:

I think that regardless of the original meaning of the name, the fact is that the team name is a color, and it makes little sense for said team's primary color to be a color other than the color in its name.

Of course that principle is ignored all the time, particularly when a city is named Greenville or something else with a color in it.

I saw this while out at the mall. It's a Browns hat that has a Brown face mask. http://imgur.com/SxzXARw I'm on mobile now so I can't format the post. Not sure if this leads to anything but I have never seen something like this until today.

I remembered this post after seeing the Browns' new logo. Good find with the hat! I must say, it's pretty funny that what all of us thought was just an error turned out to be the new logo. XD

I saw this while out at the mall. It's a Browns hat that has a Brown face mask. SxzXARw.jpg

But they ARE the Browns.

I think that regardless of the original meaning of the name, the fact is that the team name is a color, and it makes little sense for said team's primary color to be a color other than the color in its name.

Of course that principle is ignored all the time, particularly when a city is named Greenville or something else with a color in it.

That reminds me of a couple high schools in the area that have always bugged me.. Greenville HS (Red/Black) and Blue Ridge HS (Black/Red).. There's just something odd about it

Archived