New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

How about a shield/crest. On the city of Cleveland flag there is a crest. Use this crest shape. Have and inter locking CB on in and the striping used on the helmet incorporated into it.

It would be somewhat unique in that they would be only one of two NFL teams to use a Crest as a primary logo. The other being the Raiders.

Like this?

ptT8Qzt.png

I did one using the city shield a couple years ago, too. It would be really easy to incorporate.

BrownsRichardsShield.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a shield/crest. On the city of Cleveland flag there is a crest. Use this crest shape. Have and inter locking CB on in and the striping used on the helmet incorporated into it.

It would be somewhat unique in that they would be only one of two NFL teams to use a Crest as a primary logo. The other being the Raiders.

Like this?

ptT8Qzt.png

I did one using the city shield a couple years ago, too. It would be really easy to incorporate.

BrownsRichardsShield.jpg

Both of those logos works better than what they have. Certainly better than the new dawg logo.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yup, they even updated it:

brownception_edited-1_zpszacigjn1.jpg

(Concept courtesy of Jake3.roo)

I don't think this works as a logo. It's too busy. Maybe do just a letter on the helmet like the dolphins did.

You know it's a joke, right?

You know that's joke of the joke, right?

The reason it wasn't clear-cut for most people is that Paul Brown originally didn't want the team named after him.

For those that don't know, Paul Brown was a mythical coach that started coaching HS football for the Massillon Tigers. After creating a 'super team' at that level, he moved on to Ohio State, where he won a national championship. He then coached for a military team during the war and then rather than return to Ohio State, opted to join the new AAFC venture in Cleveland. The fan support for him was so huge, it was just a given that the team would be named after him. Plus, the team was continuously referenced as "Paul Brown's team" which becomes "Browns team". (similar note: Thiel Tomcats in NCAA D3 were so named because they had a coach named Tom while being called the Huskies that another coach said they played like "wild cats", and since the coach was named Tom, they were Tom's Cats... Tomcats, purely organic and no focus group needed).

The problem with the Browns was, that Paul Brown did NOT want the team named after him. He thought it was too much praise, given that he had yet to even coach the team. So, the original owner opted to name them the Panthers instead. However, there already was a team that had already used that name and, though dormant, refused to giveup rights to the name. So, it went back to Brown and asked if they could, again, use his name for the team. He agreed, however refused to let the team acknowledge that they were named after him.

Although nobody could believe for a second they weren't named after him. They also kept his color scheme (Massillon wore black and orange, Bowling Green wore Brown and orange, and so his new team used Brown and Orange as well, because the brown jersey hid the ball and the orange helmet made it easier for the QB to find his receivers down field, the uniforms were entirely based on advantages). When he started the Bengals, he went back to the 'Tiger' genre he started with at Massillon, including using black and orange. He, too, wanted to use a blank orange shell for the Bengals, but the NFL said he couldn't. So, he put a plain BENGALS across the helmet.

Now, those that may not know much about early NFL,... but Paul Brown coached the Browns to seven championships in ten championships games in the first ten years he coached professional football. Otto Graham was his QB those first ten years. He won FIVE straight to start as coach (4 in AAFC, 1 in NFL), before winning two more in the next 5 years.

And this is where his legend is cemented, in my mind. Cleveland had an NFL team in 1945 known as the Cleveland Rams. They JUST won the NFL Championship over Washington, 15-14, in 1945. With the creation of the Browns, the Rams suddenly had lost their entire fan support to stay in Cleveland, as the Browns secured the lease to Municipal Stadium. The Rams moved to Los Angeles that offseason. Now, you're the coach of a team that bears your name and your city's CHAMPIONSHIP team had to leave because the support your new team got. And yet, you win five straight championships to start the team's existence? Unworldly is the best I can describe it.

And, after 4 years of laying waste to the AAFC (which included the SF 49ers and the original Baltimore Colts, who also joined the NFL), the NFL finally gets to put the Browns in their place. The 1949 champion, the Philadelphia Eagles (who beat the aforementioned LA Rams in the championship game), were scheduled as the Browns first opponent. The NFL wanted to put prove they were the better league with better teams. Browns won, 35-10. They finish the regular season at 10-2 with two losses to the Giants. Who, they then beat 8-3 for the right to play... you guessed it, Cleveland's former team, the LA Rams in Cleveland on Christmas Eve Day. Browns win 30-28 on a Lou Groza (the street the stadium is on is named after him) field goal late in the game.

You have to be a great coach for that to work in your favor. You couldn't even conceive of anything like that happening today. If a new team was named after a coach, they'd have a target on them every week. The team would basically be giving them the right to coach for life. Which, is why, sadly, new owner Art Modell's decision to fire him that much more appalling.

Well, time to add my 2 cents.....well, ya know...

A. I like the new Dawg logo

B. The new font is good - much easier to read

C. The brown in color facemask is better

D. The lack of a logo is still disappointing

E. What new atrocity will the uniforms be? I predict a brown in color primary with white pants & I predict the new 4th color will be some shade of cream as opposed to black or silver or pewter or grey or gray

F. I actually like the new orange color

And SOT, I predict the Rams will beat the Raiders and Chargers to LA, and that all 3 coming changes will look better than the Browns.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I am surprised that they went with a red orange color for the helmet. I guess they want to be more like the bengals.

They've been using the exact same orange for their helmets as the Bengals for years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The reason it wasn't clear-cut for most people is that Paul Brown originally didn't want the team named after him.

For those that don't know, Paul Brown was a mythical coach that started coaching HS football for the Massillon Tigers. After creating a 'super team' at that level, he moved on to Ohio State, where he won a national championship. He then coached for a military team during the war and then rather than return to Ohio State, opted to join the new AAFC venture in Cleveland. The fan support for him was so huge, it was just a given that the team would be named after him. Plus, the team was continuously referenced as "Paul Brown's team" which becomes "Browns team". (similar note: Thiel Tomcats in NCAA D3 were so named because they had a coach named Tom while being called the Huskies that another coach said they played like "wild cats", and since the coach was named Tom, they were Tom's Cats... Tomcats, purely organic and no focus group needed).

The problem with the Browns was, that Paul Brown did NOT want the team named after him. He thought it was too much praise, given that he had yet to even coach the team. So, the original owner opted to name them the Panthers instead. However, there already was a team that had already used that name and, though dormant, refused to giveup rights to the name. So, it went back to Brown and asked if they could, again, use his name for the team. He agreed, however refused to let the team acknowledge that they were named after him.

Although nobody could believe for a second they weren't named after him. They also kept his color scheme (Massillon wore black and orange, Bowling Green wore Brown and orange, and so his new team used Brown and Orange as well, because the brown jersey hid the ball and the orange helmet made it easier for the QB to find his receivers down field, the uniforms were entirely based on advantages). When he started the Bengals, he went back to the 'Tiger' genre he started with at Massillon, including using black and orange. He, too, wanted to use a blank orange shell for the Bengals, but the NFL said he couldn't. So, he put a plain BENGALS across the helmet.

Now, those that may not know much about early NFL,... but Paul Brown coached the Browns to seven championships in ten championships games in the first ten years he coached professional football. Otto Graham was his QB those first ten years. He won FIVE straight to start as coach (4 in AAFC, 1 in NFL), before winning two more in the next 5 years.

And this is where his legend is cemented, in my mind. Cleveland had an NFL team in 1945 known as the Cleveland Rams. They JUST won the NFL Championship over Washington, 15-14, in 1945. With the creation of the Browns, the Rams suddenly had lost their entire fan support to stay in Cleveland, as the Browns secured the lease to Municipal Stadium. The Rams moved to Los Angeles that offseason. Now, you're the coach of a team that bears your name and your city's CHAMPIONSHIP team had to leave because the support your new team got. And yet, you win five straight championships to start the team's existence? Unworldly is the best I can describe it.

And, after 4 years of laying waste to the AAFC (which included the SF 49ers and the original Baltimore Colts, who also joined the NFL), the NFL finally gets to put the Browns in their place. The 1949 champion, the Philadelphia Eagles (who beat the aforementioned LA Rams in the championship game), were scheduled as the Browns first opponent. The NFL wanted to put prove they were the better league with better teams. Browns won, 35-10. They finish the regular season at 10-2 with two losses to the Giants. Who, they then beat 8-3 for the right to play... you guessed it, Cleveland's former team, the LA Rams in Cleveland on Christmas Eve Day. Browns win 30-28 on a Lou Groza (the street the stadium is on is named after him) field goal late in the game.

You have to be a great coach for that to work in your favor. You couldn't even conceive of anything like that happening today. If a new team was named after a coach, they'd have a target on them every week. The team would basically be giving them the right to coach for life. Which, is why, sadly, new owner Art Modell's decision to fire him that much more appalling.

Great write up. Will also add that if anyone is interested in reading more about the early years of the Browns, there is a great book by Andy Piascik called "The Best Show In Football" that chronicles the AAFC years for the Browns. Goes over how the team came to be, as well as how their history is often ignored by the NFL, despite being one of the best teams ever assembled.

Aren't the Browns technically named in honor of an old NFL team that used to play in Cleveland and was named for Paul Brown?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hope April 14th comes soon enough, so I can belittle the atrociousness their new jerseys will be. How they decide to ruin the classic look they had since the 60s and then rejuvenated that classic look from the mid 80s to 2014 is beyond me!!

And yes bringbackthevet the Browns were named after legendary coach Paul Brown.

The best part about this entire rebrand/redesign is Browns President Alec Scheiner saying "We really listened to our fans. They wanted us to stick with the older, traditional logos... but wanted the uniforms to be modern and cutting edge."

Not even close, Alec. Not. Even. Close. Not even in the ball park.

It was actually the opposite. Give us awesome, new logos. Something we can identify with. Make some changes to the uniforms, but nothing drastic. You want to add gray or copper? We're OK with that... but lets not go crazy. Traditional stripes in traditional places.

The best part about this entire rebrand/redesign is Browns President Alec Scheiner saying "We really listened to our fans. They wanted us to stick with the older, traditional logos... but wanted the uniforms to be modern and cutting edge."

It was actually the opposite. Give us awesome, new logos. Something we can identify with. Make some changes to the uniforms, but nothing drastic. You want to add gray or copper? We're OK with that... but lets not go crazy. Traditional stripes in traditional places.

You mean to tell me the Browns front office listened to the fans and did / heard the exact opposite of what they really wanted?

They should just pay royalties to Seth McFarlane.

IgVaT3w.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

You mean to tell me the Browns front office listened to the fans and did / heard the exact opposite of what they really wanted?

Status Quo with this damn organization. It baffles me. You listen to sport talk, hot talk, anything locally, and everyone is like... what a waste of time and money. Its the exact opposite of what we wanted.

Now, the uniforms may end up being a complete hit and look fantastic. But they literally did NOT listen to the fanbase. They listen to the fanbase when it comes to hiring and firing and what players to bring it and get rid of... stuff fans have no business being a part of. But when it comes to the uniforms and logos - something they SHOULD listen to the fans about - its ignored.

It really is staggering how much this organization can screw up. Honestly... what is going to be the headline next month? "Mike Petine's secret life as a drag queen. Is this to blame for Browns struggles?" Or "Rookie coaching staff, lead by second year headcoach Mike Petine, caught using Madden 25 to dictate play calls."

Like... every month... something you have never heard of... this organization does.

Status Quo with this damn organization. It baffles me. You listen to sport talk, hot talk, anything locally, and everyone is like... what a waste of time and money. Its the exact opposite of what we wanted.

Now, the uniforms may end up being a complete hit and look fantastic. But they literally did NOT listen to the fanbase. They listen to the fanbase when it comes to hiring and firing and what players to bring it and get rid of... stuff fans have no business being a part of. But when it comes to the uniforms and logos - something they SHOULD listen to the fans about - its ignored.

It really is staggering how much this organization can screw up. Honestly... what is going to be the headline next month? "Mike Petine's secret life as a drag queen. Is this to blame for Browns struggles?" Or "Rookie coaching staff, lead by second year headcoach Mike Petine, caught using Madden 25 to dictate play calls."

Like... every month... something you have never heard of... this organization does.

I disagree as I believe they did listen to their fanbase as most Browns fans DID NOT want the colors of the helmet changing too much.

spacer.png

I disagree as I believe they did listen to their fanbase as most Browns fans DID NOT want the colors of the helmet changing too much.

No, the previous owner dictated the helmet remain (mostly) unchanged when he sold the team. Had nothing to do with the fans.

Archived