New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Bengals would look better with the matte look well.

I agree completely. There aren't too many slick, shiny tigers. This coming from someone who's never been a fan of matte.

C'mon. There aren't too many tigers wearing molded plastic on their heads, either. As McCarthy said, the Bengals of the '80s and '90s looked like a football team named after tigers. The current Bengals look like grown men wearing tiger costumes, for Disney on Ice or something. I think making the helmets matte (and messing with the last tie to any greatness in the franchise) is another step towards tiger dress-up. They aren't soldiers camouflaged among a field of tigers (which would be crazy), they're football players.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why do so many want to see wider stripes? I feel like they look cheaper like a computer screen blew up to the wrong size....

Absolutely. They look like total crap. The wide stripes only work at all, to the extent they do work, because they're playing off of normal sized stripes. "Hey, you know Ohio State's helmet stripes? Well, what if we made them WAY BIGGER?!" They play off of a solid, traditional look. But without a current traditional look to play off of, they're just clownishness.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why do so many want to see wider stripes? I feel like they look cheaper like a computer screen blew up to the wrong size....

Absolutely. They look like total crap. The wide stripes only work at all, to the extent they do work, because they're playing off of normal sized stripes. "Hey, you know Ohio State's helmet stripes? Well, what if we made them WAY BIGGER?!" They play off of a solid, traditional look. But without a current traditional look to play off of, they're just clownishness.

Well I'm indifferent, BUT, the Browns don't have a logo other than their helmet. That helmet doesn't have a logo. The main element on that helmet is the stripes. So a major part of their identity and I guess their brand are those stripes. Making those bigger would add emphasis to a major part of their identity. They can own the stripe.

Well I'm indifferent, BUT, the Browns don't have a logo other than their helmet. That helmet doesn't have a logo. The main element on that helmet is the stripes. So a major part of their identity and I guess their brand are those stripes. Making those bigger would add emphasis to a major part of their identity. They can own the stripe.

They already own the stripe, seeing as nobody else does what they do. Their helmet was unique because it didn't have a logo, but special because it had a traditional striping pattern, as other teams have. They didn't try to make the stripes into anything more than what they were - traditional stripes. They made no effort to turn them into any special kind of design, which is what makes them. I think making them wider takes them from being a traditional striping pattern into the world of Nike absurdity.

Instead of wide stripes, maybe Nike can make an alternate helmet featuring a huge version of their logo on one side - a jpg of a helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the Bengals would look better with the matte look well.

I agree completely. There aren't too many slick, shiny tigers. This coming from someone who's never been a fan of matte.

C'mon. There aren't too many tigers wearing molded plastic on their heads, either. As McCarthy said, the Bengals of the '80s and '90s looked like a football team named after tigers. The current Bengals look like grown men wearing tiger costumes, for Disney on Ice or something. I think making the helmets matte (and messing with the last tie to any greatness in the franchise) is another step towards tiger dress-up. They aren't soldiers camouflaged among a field of tigers (which would be crazy), they're football players.

Here we go... a new Bengals' helmet.

Untitled-2.png

I can't believe people still post that picture.

It was funny and ironic the first time, but after precisely 234,978,127,547,145 time being posted... it looses its spunk.

Seriously people, at least make it move. It might be slightly entertaining then.

dolpgif16.gif

87Redskins.png

I can't believe people still post that picture.

It was funny and ironic the first time, but after precisely 234,978,127,547,145 time being posted... it looses its spunk.

Seriously people, at least make it move. It might be slightly entertaining then.

dolpgif16.gif

Oh that hurts my eyes!

I can't believe (well, it's the Browns, of course I can believe) how ill-timed the new unis are. Last year with two #1 picks, positioned to draft Watkins+Bridgewater, new uniforms the following year, it seemed the right time for a new era. Even when they took Manziel itself things seemed optimistic for a couple of hours before Gordon got suspended. Now Manziel is clearly a bust in rehab, Gordon is finished, "textgate" is happening - this may be the most absurdly dysfunctional offseason in Browns' history, and obviously that's saying a lot. I can only imagine what kind of monstrosity will be unveiled to put the cherry on top.

Best case scenario I bet...bite the bullet and trade up for Mariota, uniforms quickly replaced due to fan outrage like 1984-85. More realistically...reset again with a new QB in 2016 and uniforms get toned down like the buffaslug and the Vikings and Bills downgrades.

I think teams used to put out a new uniform for a new stadium or new era of players, but from a marketing aspect, they put out new "era" uniforms in year 2...because everyone had to buy the #2 jersey last year (let's say Johnny football was amazing) and now they need to update their jersey again next year.

KISSwall09.jpg

I can't believe (well, it's the Browns, of course I can believe) how ill-timed the new unis are. Last year with two #1 picks, positioned to draft Watkins+Bridgewater, new uniforms the following year, it seemed the right time for a new era. Even when they took Manziel itself things seemed optimistic for a couple of hours before Gordon got suspended. Now Manziel is clearly a bust in rehab, Gordon is finished, "textgate" is happening - this may be the most absurdly dysfunctional offseason in Browns' history, and obviously that's saying a lot. I can only imagine what kind of monstrosity will be unveiled to put the cherry on top.

Best case scenario I bet...bite the bullet and trade up for Mariota, uniforms quickly replaced due to fan outrage like 1984-85. More realistically...reset again with a new QB in 2016 and uniforms get toned down like the buffaslug and the Vikings and Bills downgrades.

They had no way of knowing when players would (or, in the case of Watkins and Bridgewater, wouldn't) land on the roster when they started the rebrand process, so there's no way you can take roster construction into consideration. My guess is that it was their goal to have the new uniforms ready to coincide with the completion of their two-year stadium renovation project.

They had no way of knowing when players would (or, in the case of Watkins and Bridgewater, wouldn't) land on the roster when they started the rebrand process, so there's no way you can take roster construction into consideration. My guess is that it was their goal to have the new uniforms ready to coincide with the completion of their two-year stadium renovation project.

Or maybe what happened is the process started when Haslem took over the team and wanted to put "his stamp" on it. This is probably just the culmination of that process, which we know takes some time. But I'd say you're right about the fact most NFL teams cant plan rebrands around when a certain player may or may not be on their team or be good/star players.

It's probably just kind of a natural thing that makeovers frequently coincide with roster changes; both occur in times of change.

In this case it just really struck me how ironic and apt that a potentially bad uni makeover is set to top off one if the most embarrassing offseasons in recent sports history.

Many times, it's the new owner that wants to put their personal stamp/look for the team. It usually takes a couple years because of the whole process behind creating a new identity as well as giving the league notice so the league can start cycling out the old logo/colors and begin preparing merchandise and such with the new look....

Wait, you're not saying that

terry.jpg

SammyWatkinsSMile.jpg

Are downgrades from

Minnesota-Vikings.jpg

New+England+Patriots+v+Buffalo+Bills+P-n

are you?

Archived