Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

Putting this here for those who didn't see it.

...yeah.

Yeah, get used to that when you play in Montreal. As a Sens fan, that's creepily déjà vu to the Silfverberg incident in 2013.

I hope that shows some GMs that the goaltender interference call should be reviewable, who the hell came up with the idea that it shouldn't anyway?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a good start for Fluery, especially given the fact he's been awful on the road the last 2 years in the playoffs. The Cannon gets fired already!

Jack Johnson! 2-0!

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

And by the way, Jim Hughson is so freaking blatant with his tone-of-voice of wanting the only Canadian team in the playoffs to win.

Ah, you people reap what you sow with your "trololol playoffs have more teams from California than Canada" garbage. Just be glad the only team left isn't Vancouver or he'd really be pouring it on.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I already used my quota of bitching about announcer biases when I brought up the Glenn Healy/ticket price nonsense. Besides, I've listened to thousands of games that Jim Hughson has called (nevermind the fact that most were video game games) and you could do far worse than him.

Besides, with respect to that video, I feel like it tells me all I need to know that the Canadian broadcast was speaking so openly about how the Lightning got screwed, but that's ancient history by this point. Bad calls happen, and when thinking about it I have much more of a problem with the non-reviewable part than the actual call; referees make mistakes at times because the action is ridiculously fast. The fact that the referee is French Canadian (intrepid research, conspiracy theory guys; never would've guessed) is completely non-sequitir.

I have no hope of the Lightning winning this series anymore, so all I'll be rooting for at this point is that there will be 60 more minutes on Friday night. Overall, the franchise has greatly overachieved relative to expectations this year because no one on the planet would've penciled in that team for a home-ice playoff spot in September, yada yada, but, dammit, don't do all of this and then have a goose egg in the playoff win column. Nothing would make the season feel like a bigger waste than that.

spacer.png

The fact that the referee is French Canadian (intrepid research, conspiracy theory guys; never would've guessed) is completely non-sequitir.

Doan says he was trying to calm down goaltender Curtis Joseph, who was upset that a penalty hadn't been called in a game against the Canadiens, when linesmen Michel Cormier though he heard the Phoenix Coyotes captain utter a slur against Francophones.

As an enraged Joseph hovered around centre ice, Doan says he skated over to him and yelled: "Four French referees in Montreal, Cuje, figure it out."

I know we're talking GDNHL here and everything but I would have a really hard time figuring a referee would be willing to compromise his integrity because of who the home team was in last night's situation. Three weeks ago the Habs and Lightning were playing in Tampa and Teddy Purcell had a goal (wrongly) annulled on what was also a phantom goalie interference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jSEkfL4Ro

Lots of more people out there subscribe to the theory that Carey Price just really sells goalie interference very well. I'm more apt to believe that.

spacer.png

It's only French-Canadian officials who are singled out for hometown bias because it's so easy to pick their names out. No one ever talks about Crystal Lake native Andy McElman being in the tank for the Blackhawks, first of all because he probably isn't, but more importantly because ascertaining his hometown would require more legwork than "hey, French name."

classless monster suspend him for a million years

That's a bit of an overreaction. I remember Cooke from his days in Vancouver, he's always been this way. He has a history, and the commentator even mentioned the play being typical of Cooke's career.

On your planet, a history of scummy behavior is a reason to go easier on someone?

Archived