• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News out of Arsenal is that Greek international and Olympiacos central defender Kostas Manolas is close to signing with the Gunners. Manolas is reportedly had a medical today and could be unveiled to the supporters in the coming days. Fee is in the area of Β£8m which is a steal for a player of Manolas' talent and experience. I can't wait for this to be announced officially. He is meant to be a replacement for Vermaelen after he went to Barcelona for Β£15m. Great to see all this business being done by the Gunners prior to the deadline like previous years.

Not so fast...

Manolas will join Roma

He is the perfect replacements for that greedy bastard Benatia. 4 years younger and a profit of 17 million euros. The only worry is that he won't get enough time to fit in.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Does anyone know what it feels like to have a rusty dagger wrapped in barbed wire reamed into your heart? Cause losing 1-0 at Celtic Park to a team from Slovenia must feel pretty damn close to that.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

The Slovenians move on!

Also LOL ManU(though do they really care about the League Cup?)

Celtic... le sigh...

---

Manchester United cares as much about the Capital One Cup as it does the Capital One Bowl.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANAΒ | LAA | LARΒ | LAL | ASU | CSULB |Β USMNTΒ | USWNT |Β LAFCΒ | OCSC |Β MAN UTDΒ |

Thank heavens that United realized that Moyes wasn't the answer and Van Gaal is the savior. Oh wait, wasn't that Moyes on the touchline today in the League Cup match? LOL. Now United supporters know what it feels like to be average.

I still can't believe Eto'o signed with Everton. Agreed that he'll be the best backup striker.

Giroud is going to miss the second Play-off leg v Beşiktaş with a foot injury. He is getting a second scan tomorrow with a possibility of missing up to three months.

As for the Roma signing of Manolas, it'll be good for Roma. Sucks for Arsenal. But here's hoping the great pairing of Koscielny and Mertesacker starts clicking sooner rather than later. They were the best CB pairing in the PL last season.

But here's hoping the great pairing of Koscielny and Mertesacker starts clicking sooner rather than later. They were the best CB pairing in the PL last season.

Kompany and Zabaleta beg to differ (and I'm sure Cahill and Terry would have a fair bit to say about that declaration as well). :grin:

25yzwqg.png

But here's hoping the great pairing of Koscielny and Mertesacker starts clicking sooner rather than later. They were the best CB pairing in the PL last season.

Kompany and Zabaleta beg to differ (and I'm sure Cahill and Terry would have a fair bit to say about that declaration as well). :grin:

Opta Stats stated that the Koscielny-Mertesacker had one of the best win/loss with goals scored against ratios last year in the PL. Yes the Terry and Cahill is strong but Cahill still had many defensive blunders last season, making him somewhat suspect in the second half of the season. I think Zabaleta and Kompany has the best pairing but with Kompany out of action for almost two months last year, the Demichaelis-Zabaleta pairing was shotty.

Mertesacker-Koscielny.png

Yeah, but you could say that the best defenses don't absolutely crumble away from home against any decent team.

I will agree with you there. We had a rough time away from the Emirates in the second half of the season against the top 3 clubs (Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea). But I think our defense has gotten a little stronger with Debuchy replacing Sagna. Plus so far Chambers has slotted in nicely for Mertesacker when he needed to, but he is still young and a little inexperienced. I think he will be a good backup to Debuchy and CB if needed. But the season will be the tell-tale. Big test is tomorrow v Besiktas in UCL. We need to shutdown Demba Ba from his pulsating runs he was making in the first leg.

"Does anyone know what it feels like to have a rusty dagger wrapped in barbed wire reamed into your heart? Cause losing 1-0 at Celtic Park to a team from Slovenia must feel pretty damn close to that."

Connor Hanley I wouldn't know what that exactly feels like but at least you remain in Europe with qualifying for Europa League group stage. Yes I know it's a step down but if you take solace in the fact that the winner of UEL this season onwards gets an automatic Champions League play-off berth in the following season. I know the Scottish Premiership will not be that competitive for the Bhoys this year, so why wouldn't the club put all their eggs in one basket and push for winning UEL.

Hull City finally sign Michael Dawson for 6 Mill. It's dragged on a bit.

Spurs sign Sevilla's Federico Fazio as a replacement for 8 Million. The 6ft 4in Argentinian will sign a four-year deal at White Hart Lane

glory10.png

Well here's something anyone was expecting: Crystal Palace name Neil Warnock as their new manager.

The talk around Arsenal is that Wenger will not be signing a striker as a replacement for Giroud if he will be out for an extended period of time (he has his scan today). I'm hoping that isn't the case. But like usual Wenger will believe he has the quality replacement strikers in his team. Sanogo and Campbell don't have that PL quality to lead from the front alone. Sanogo looks clumsy and unconfident. And Campbell hasn't had enough First Team action. I would like to see Welbeck now that he is on the outs with Van Gaal. Other strikers that would fit well in Arsenal: Marseille Andre-Pierre Gignac, Lyon Alexander Lacazette, and Loic Remy. But time will tell.

Well here's something anyone was expecting: Crystal Palace name Neil Warnock as their new manager.

The talk around Arsenal is that Wenger will not be signing a striker as a replacement for Giroud if he will be out for an extended period of time (he has his scan today). I'm hoping that isn't the case. But like usual Wenger will believe he has the quality replacement strikers in his team. Sanogo and Campbell don't have that PL quality to lead from the front alone. Sanogo looks clumsy and unconfident. And Campbell hasn't had enough First Team action. I would like to see Welbeck now that he is on the outs with Van Gaal. Other strikers that would fit well in Arsenal: Marseille Andre-Pierre Gignac, Lyon Alexander Lacazette, and Loic Remy. But time will tell.

Warnock: Well, that's Palace relegated then. Although I have that opinion of about 5 or 6 clubs and they can't all go down (unfortunately).

Arsenal striker: Remy seems like an ideal fit for Arsenal in my opinion and he is available at a reasonable price. I would still put money on them not bringing in a quality striker though. Just seems like an Arsenal/Wenger thing to do.

Dawson/Fazio: I am a little conflicted as Dawson has served the club well over the past 9 and a bit years and I do have a soft spot for him. This is a good deal for the club though as Dawson is clearly past his best and from what I have seen and read Fazio is a good defender who will suit Pochettino's approach. This is similar to Scott Parker leaving. It is better to see him leave now than see his ability and pace deteriorate beyond an acceptable amount in a spurs shirt.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

The good news: Arsenal qualifies for its 17th consecutive Champions League group stage with a tense 1-0 win over Besiktas.

The bad news: Arsene Wenger confirms Olivier Giroud will be sidelined for four months.

Archived