Cavaliers Uniforms

OnWis97

Any word on his jersey number? Going back to #23 or sticking with #6?

I could really see him keeping #6 for the sole reason of making people in Cleveland have to buy replacement jerseys with a new number instead of dusting off the #23s from their closets.

LeBron said that NBA players shouldn't wear #23 anymore because it insults Jordan, so I think that number is out.

Of course, by that logic, anyone not named Magic Johnson wearing #32 is an insult, too.

LeBron should wear a number no one else has ever worn before and make it his own. Which is probably impossible.

There's plenty of numbers he could wear.

I just did a quick lookup of best player (or most well known player) at each number. I started making a list of numbers that weren't really "owned" by a legend, and eventually stopped because the list was too great.

Heck - he could do 66 if he likes 6 but doesn't want to infringe on Bill Russell or Dr. J.

FWIW, 2x3=6 (and obviously 3x2=6). Maybe he has a thing for that number and it's divisors?

Lebron should wear a Prince-esque symbol to make his own. Solved.

How about just a portrait of his face where the number would go - or a sillhouette or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wished he stuck with a number.

When you think of a Gretzky, you think #99, Jordan #23, Lemieux #66 Magic #32 Elway #7 Farve #4.

etc etc.

The Heat retired #23 in 2003. So that was a no-go.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

wiki has lebron wearing 32

If he's trying to make a number his own for legacy purposes he needs to stop picking numbers used by iconic HOFers

#32 was his high school number. I'm thinking he wants to finish his basketball career with the number he started with.

Is anything official?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree. He should stick with #6. Changing his number is diluting his legacy... same as if he were to keep jumping back and forth between multiple teams.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

When you think of a Gretzky, you think #99, Jordan #23, Lemieux #66 Magic #32 Elway #7 Farve #4.

etc etc.

Who of note wore #23 in Miami?

etc etc.

Who of note wore #23 in Miami?

According to Wiki, it's retired for Jordan. They also retired #10 for Tim Hardaway and #33 for Alonzo Mourning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_jersey_numbers

I agree. He should stick with #6. Changing his number is diluting his legacy... same as if he were to keep jumping back and forth between multiple teams.

"Huh?"

991007-1143521579434-pistol_pete_maravic

ppmm.jpg

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

I said it dilutes it. That's objective fact. Doesn't mean it destroys, it means it is lessened.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

I said it dilutes it. That's objective fact. Doesn't mean it destroys, it means it is lessened.

But does it really? Can't it be argued that aside from maybe Jordan, greatness is more closely attributed with the name and not the number?

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

But does it really? Can't it be argued that aside from maybe Jordan, greatness is more closely attributed with the name and not the number?

What do you do as a kid growing up? You pick a number because Jeter wore it, or Griffey wore it, or Jordan wore it, etc. etc.

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

What do you do as a kid growing up? You pick a number because Jeter wore it, or Griffey wore it, or Jordan wore it, etc. etc.

Sure. But as an adult I've experienced when discussing great players it's always been Bird, Magic, MJ, Dr. J, etc. Not number this, number that.

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

Griffey wore three numbers, 3, 30, and 24. Kobe Bryant has worn 8 and 24. I think it's annoying at first when a player changed their number, we get used to it after a while. I mean, do people still have an issue with Kobe not wearing 8 anymore?

"Huh?"

ppmm.jpg

Griffey wore three numbers, 3, 30, and 24. Kobe Bryant has worn 8 and 24. I think it's annoying at first when a player changed their number, we get used to it after a while. I mean, do people still have an issue with Kobe not wearing 8 anymore?
I think the only people that really care about the number are those that invest in the Jordan 23 hype and people that make the decision on a number retiring. Seriously, the folks in the Laker front office have a hard decision to make.

griffey.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived