Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Belleville Senators... coming 2017.

14484620_10154402249985056_5062131470579118189_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

Why Senators??? Why not Bulls???

I would actually have loved to see Minotaurs, combining the Roman Sens identity with Bulls.

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Just now, nash61 said:

I would actually have loved to see Minotaurs, combining the Roman Sens identity with Bulls.

That would have the potential to be the best Branding in all of Hockey... Oh well. Although I guess that's what happens when the NHL feels like the AHL should just be the mini-NHL...

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

So the Belleville Senators and Laval Rocket (AHL) and Worcester Railers (ECHL) will debut in 2017. The IceMen have until Oct 1 to pull the trigger on Owensboro, but my money is on a relocation, since their arena games resulted in the SPHL poaching the market.

So that essentially leaves two openings in the ECHL. I think Portland and St. John's might be good fits.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

21 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Portland yes, but St Johns is always a geographic outlier.

True, but their attendance average 12th for the past five seasons, for AHL teams. I think the ECHL's financial structure would allow them to work. Moving to the ECHL would put their numbers in the top 7, for that league.

Portland's attendance would still be low, even for the ECHL. Yes, they have a geographic advantage, but I would actually argue that St. John's still has a stronger case.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

12 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Why Senators??? Why not Bulls???

The word is the owners that took the team to Hamilton also owns the name. That's what I heard, if it's true then it makes sense to me and shows how bitter Hamilton is in losing an AHL team and have to live with an OHL team, while Belleville lost an OHL team but gain an AHL team.  

I guess Andrews said he wants to get another team into Binghamton because of what a good AHL market it's always been, but such a team would just be coming from Utica or Albany, not Charlotte or Austin and most certainly not Stockton or Bakersfield, so it's hard to feel too good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some Binghamton fans feel a return of the Binghamton Rangers is a done deal and see this video as a hint. At the 2:43 while saying they can't officially announce the new affiliation right now, there's a guy in a Rangers jacket right in the center of the screen.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

12 hours ago, Totems!! said:

St. John's vs Alaska in the Kelly Cup finals would be fun. Probably bankrupt both teams in airfare cost. 

Ehhh....probably would have done a 2-3-2 at the absolute worst.  Could totally see a 3-4 format.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

16 hours ago, Geoff said:

Some Binghamton fans feel a return of the Binghamton Rangers is a done deal and see this video as a hint. At the 2:43 while saying they can't officially announce the new affiliation right now, there's a guy in a Rangers jacket right in the center of the screen.

So the Wolf Pack moves to Binghamton to become the Brangers, then does Long Island move their affiliate from Bridgeport to Hartford, or is Hartford just a college hockey town from here on out like Lowell?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well we're also quite close to the Nassau Coliseum renovations being done and that was done in mind of having an AHL team come in, so take that for what it's worth

Binghamton makes sense to have one of the NYC teams on board so the Rangers going back to them works. Then we can give Las Vegas an expansion AHL team in Elmir (/gets shot for making the Upstate NY AHL joke for the umpteenth time) 

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29