• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upgrades:

• MLB: Angels periwinkle to current
  • NBA: Pistons teal to current
  • NFL: Boring Bengals helmet to tiger stripes
  • NHL: Blues ditching red for pre-edge look

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Downgrades:

• MLB: Brewers Germanic to current
  • NBA: Suns previous (yeah, I liked the gray) to current
  • NFL: Bucs "modern classic" to "Team Nike".
  • NHL: Oilers 1990s to Edge. I still consider this the most baffling change in sports history.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Upgrades:

• NFL: There is a tie for my favorite upgrades: Tampa Bay Buccaneers change from the creamsickle to the pewter went from a classic look to modern day perfection.
  • NCAA Football: Utah State 2001-2011 to 2012-Present I have said since that did their University rebrand in 2012 that they nailed it from top-to-bottom. Their uniforms have the right amount of combinations that rarely look bad and their updated logo and colors are near perfection.
  • NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins Logo- 1992-2001 to current logo. I was never a fan of the robotic penguin and I love the Vegas Gold.
  • NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves - 1989-1995 to 1996-2007. I loved the change from the colors to the script to the logo.

Downgrades:

• NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Went from perfection 1997-2013 to total disaster in 2014.
  • NCAA Football: Oregon Ducks - For me, Oregon receives a double-whammy for two mistakes. The first being going from the Diamond Plate uniforms to the first set of wing set uniforms. The second being removing the "O" from the helmet to go with the chromed wings.
  • NHL: Dallas Stars - 1999-2006 to 2007-2012
  • NBA: Not really a downgrade, but the introduction of the Oklahoma State Thunder was horrible and it's sad that they still use that initial uniform. If I had to choose a downgrade, I would go with the Phoenix Suns for going from their 1992-1999 set to the 2000-2012 set.

spacer.png

Downgrades:

• NBA: Suns previous (yeah, I liked the gray) to current

Upon further review, the biggest downgrade is:

Mavs blue/green to Mavs current

A lot of what I like (new Dolphins logo and anything "serious" over "campy") is accused of being "soulless". Well the Mavs have a soulless look I could do without.

POTD (Shared)

Not sure how odd this will be as a opinion but how about the T-Wolves look being a downgrade from the previous set? I miss the green, as that was there unique colour. Now all we have is boring and bland.

The Nuggets new alternates are the biggest upgrade as of late. That skyline uniform just looks beautiful.

Did downgrades in my last post forget this was an upgrade thread too:

NFL:

-Bills. They went from than Navy/Royal/Red/Nickle garbage they had in the 2000s to what is now a Top 3 jersey in the league.

-06-12 Vikings to present Vikings, as mentioned in my downgrade post.

NHL:

-Anyone who corrected Edge mistakes for a more classic look (NYI, EDM, PHI, TOR, DAL, STL, etc.).

MLB:

-Didn't hate the old Blue Jays set for what it was, but the Blue Jays shouldn't be black, gray and a little bit of baby blue. New set is perfect.

-Astros from the Brick and Black to the new Blue and Orange.

NBA:

-Nets to Brooklyn.

-Bobcats to Hornets.

-Sixers from the 07-09 set back to Blue and Red.

-Suns from previous set (which was a downgrade from the 90s set) to current ones.

-Jazz from Navy/Baby Blue (which was a downgrade from Purple/Blue/Copper mountain ones) to current set.

Upgrades

-New York Islanders 2010
-Edmonton Oilers 2011
-Dallas Stars 2013
-Anaheim Ducks 2014
-St Louis Blues 2014

Downgrades

-Pittsburgh Penguins 2007
-Colorado Avalanche 2007
-Calgary Flames 2007
-Minnesota Wild 2007
-Tampa Bay Lightning 2011
-San Jose Sharks 2013

Its funny to see so many taking the Nets as an upgrade because when they unveiled their current identity, I remember a lot of negativity on here.

Now that I got that out of the way, obvious upgrades:

(I'm only doing recent changes and the 2 sports I fully follow to save time, otherwise this list would never end.)

NBA: Nets in BK, new suns set, bobcats to hornets, knicks dropping the black drop shadow from logo (but not the uni's because I still hate the half-stripes on the armholes), Kings jersey revision.

NFL: Bills,Dolphins and Seattle as identities and the slimmer modern Nike jerseys are an upgrade over reebok (except for the stupid collars).

Downgrades:

NBA: every sleeved jersey, knicks uni (see above), Utah (one of the few people who liked the last set more), sixers (same as Utah), rockets third (I thought it would be better served as the current template in black and red), Seattle to OKC, mavs new fan made jersey.

NFL: every single Nike designed jersey except for Miami and Seattle.

GO NETS.

Upgrades:

• NFL: There is a tie for my favorite upgrades: Tampa Bay Buccaneers change from the creamsickle to the pewter went from a classic look to modern day perfection.
  • NCAA Football: Utah State 2001-2011 to 2012-Present I have said since that did their University rebrand in 2012 that they nailed it from top-to-bottom. Their uniforms have the right amount of combinations that rarely look bad and their updated logo and colors are near perfection.
  • NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins Logo- 1992-2001 to current logo. I was never a fan of the robotic penguin and I love the Vegas Gold.
  • NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves - 1989-1995 to 1996-2007. I loved the change from the colors to the script to the logo.

Downgrades:

• NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Went from perfection 1997-2013 to total disaster in 2014.
  • NCAA Football: Oregon Ducks - For me, Oregon receives a double-whammy for two mistakes. The first being going from the Diamond Plate uniforms to the first set of wing set uniforms. The second being removing the "O" from the helmet to go with the chromed wings.
  • NHL: Dallas Stars - 1999-2006 to 2007-2012
  • NBA: Not really a downgrade, but the introduction of the Oklahoma State Thunder was horrible and it's sad that they still use that initial uniform. If I had to choose a downgrade, I would go with the Phoenix Suns for going from their 1992-1999 set to the 2000-2012 set.

And I love how the change came at the time their football team starting being good. The old logo and uniforms just remind me of horrible teams that were just gimme games for Utah and BYU.

Its funny to see so many taking the Nets as an upgrade because when they unveiled their current identity, I remember a lot of negativity on here.

I think a lot of that was just directed at the logo, I remember from reading here at the time a lot of people liked their uniforms.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

This seems like a thread tailored made for the Jaguars and Buccaneers! As you all know, the helmet of Jags keeps that set as a downgrade and I can't remember a bigger downgrade than the Buccaneers new duds.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I always thought that the original teal/black/silver San Jose Sharks uniform was fantastic. It combined classic striping with a unique color scheme.

The uniforms they've worn since then have been hit or miss, but none come close to their originals.

I always thought that the original teal/black/silver San Jose Sharks uniform was fantastic. It combined classic striping with a unique color scheme.

The uniforms they've worn since then have been hit or miss, but none come close to their originals.

I completely agree. I can't think of another franchise in professional sports who has downgraded more than the San Jose Sharks. Their inaugural uniform, logos and shoulder patches were perfect for an expansion team from the 90s. It was a classic look in colors that had never before seen the ice in the NHL. Their current look is boring and dull. They had it right the first time - they never should have changed.

8258450574_2981fefdfd_z.jpg

there's no excuse for that shark to not be wearing a hockey helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived