Unused Logos and Uniforms

On 7/17/2014 at 8:36 PM, Lights Out said:

UniWatch posted some unused Vikings prototypes from 2003 yesterday.

I actually really like this one:

I like the other example (sans black) better...

I certainly have my problems with it (piping, number font, pats stripe), but I like the shoulder stripes and feel it would have been a few (aggravating) steps away from something great.

The other one reminds me of the rumors that were going around (putting the horn on the sleeves/shoulders).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Apparently the Canucks' choice to go back to green and blue during the Edge redesign was made late in the game, because this prototype popped up on eBay recently:

t1dmtR6.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AUTHENTIC-REEBOK-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-PROTOTYPE-HOCKEY-JERSEY-SZ-56-/191200585831?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c84716867&nma=true&si=Huz6zPNBJdbZ6hfDs5rhSGuO%252B38%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That looks terrible! They weren't great jerseys to begin with but who thought removing the hem stripes and using that awful Flyers template was a good idea. Thank god they came to their senses and brought back the scheme they never should have ditched in the first place.

Surprised they decided to use blue white and green at the last minute since they wore their throwbacks in 2007 playoffs.

Apparently the Canucks' choice to go back to green and blue during the Edge redesign was made late in the game, because this prototype popped up on eBay recently:

t1dmtR6.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-AUTHENTIC-REEBOK-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-PROTOTYPE-HOCKEY-JERSEY-SZ-56-/191200585831?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c84716867&nma=true&si=Huz6zPNBJdbZ6hfDs5rhSGuO%252B38%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That looks terrible! They weren't great jerseys to begin with but who thought removing the hem stripes and using that awful Flyers template was a good idea. Thank god they came to their senses and brought back the scheme they never should have ditched in the first place.

Surprised they decided to use blue white and green at the last minute since they wore their throwbacks in 2007 playoffs.

If they changed the following season, their plans were probably already finalized by the time the playoffs started. "Last minute" is probably like the summer/fall of 2006.

t1dmtR6.jpg

If they changed the following season, their plans were probably already finalized by the time the playoffs started. "Last minute" is probably like the summer/fall of 2006.

For what it's worth, the garment tag seen inside of the collar (and the one on that lighting prototype that appeared a few months back) is identical to the Reebok Tags used on the last iteration of traditional uniforms from 2005-2007.

If I recall, I remember hearing that the league was disappointed with the redesigns Reebok had come up with during the lockout and demanded they go back to the drawing board, pushing the unveil date for the new uniforms to 2007 and necessitating one more production run of uniforms used from 2005-2007.

Seeing all of these pre-edge "edge" prototypes also seems to really gel with the idea that they were originally all planned to be tucked into the breezers- this explains nearly all of the original edge sets lack of hem striping, another feature missing on these prototypes.

5amlwx.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Saints strongly considered switching to serif numbers (and white numbers at home) in 2000:

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-NFL-NEW-ORLEANS-SAINTS-PROTO-TYPE-PRESENTATION-COMPLETE-UNIFORM-IN-BOX-/111429370284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f1b541ac

But this could be an eBay hoax, but glad they didn't. They look way too much like the Ravens, sans purple.

Looks like the Saints strongly considered switching to serif numbers (and white numbers at home) in 2000:

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-NFL-NEW-ORLEANS-SAINTS-PROTO-TYPE-PRESENTATION-COMPLETE-UNIFORM-IN-BOX-/111429370284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f1b541ac

But this could be an eBay hoax, but glad they didn't. They look way too much like the Ravens, sans purple.

That would've been a huge upgrade, except for the white pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

That number font in gold outlined in white would have worked too. The white numbers with stripeless pants and black-white-black helmet stripes would have been almost a carbon-copy of Purdue.

EDIT: didn't see the black stripe on the pants with the logo (those pants must be from 2002 or later because of the NFL Equipment logo).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3R1tcox.jpg

qPF38NB.jpg

eT9HzQK.jpg

That number font in gold outlined in white would have worked too. The white numbers with stripeless pants and black-white-black helmet stripes would have been almost a carbon-copy of Purdue.

EDIT: didn't see the black stripe on the pants with the logo (those pants must be from 2002 or later because of the NFL Equipment logo).

As it was mentioned the pants have the equipment logo whilst the jersey only has the shield. Also it looks like champion's last season as their supplier was '96. Given the inconsistencies, I'm going to say it's an elaborate fake.

^^

I'll add that there is something fishy going on with the "2"s. While Designs A and B clearly make a notable shift in the font on the "1"s, the 2s appear to be the same from design to design...and they don't match between black and white jerseys. Actually, the more I look at it the more I think that the "2" on the far right differs from the other three 2s, in terms of font.

Additionally, the 1s on both set appear to be thicker on the black jersey than the white.

Maybe all that does not mean anything, but it strikes me that they'd have done better with that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

^^

I'll add that there is something fishy going on with the "2"s. While Designs A and B clearly make a notable shift in the font on the "1"s, the 2s appear to be the same from design to design...and they don't match between black and white jerseys. Actually, the more I look at it the more I think that the "2" on the far right differs from the other three 2s, in terms of font.

Additionally, the 1s on both set appear to be thicker on the black jersey than the white.

Maybe all that does not mean anything, but it strikes me that they'd have done better with that.

Design A has a complete different number font (across all numbers) than Design B, as noted in the page with the photos.

The other fishy thing is the Vikings are the only other team I've known to take uniform pictures at old Giants Stadium, and that was 2006. I doubt the Saints would have done that in 2000.

Also, they pair the real life version of the jersey from Design A photo with pants from Design B photo. Look at the 1's.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.