TheGrimReaper

2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

The Rangers-style black sweater should never see the light of day again, double blue precedent be damned (those jerseys only existed because the original GM didn't like the first skating penguin). I'd rather see a yellow version of this, with black taking the place of powder, white replacing vintage white, and block numbers instead of the rounded ones:

Pittsburgh-Penguins-2011-Winter-Classic-

It's striping pattern is too unique not to use somewhere, Crosby's concussions notwithstanding. Besides, appropriating a double blue-era design for a black/yellow color scheme will demonstrate a significant commitment to that color scheme in the long term.

Why'd that li'l feller lose his scarf, anyway? It adds so much!

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Rangers-style black sweater should never see the light of day again, double blue precedent be damned (those jerseys only existed because the original GM didn't like the first skating penguin). I'd rather see a yellow version of this, with black taking the place of powder, white replacing vintage white, and block numbers instead of the rounded ones:

Pittsburgh-Penguins-2011-Winter-Classic-

It's striping pattern is too unique not to use somewhere, Crosby's concussions notwithstanding. Besides, appropriating a double blue-era design for a black/yellow color scheme will demonstrate a significant commitment to that color scheme in the long term.

I had a similar idea only with this jersey:

image.jpeg

Just replace powder blue with yellow and navy with black.

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

he tossed it after he decided to start working out. 

They wanted it to be as realistic as possible, and real penguins don't wear scarves.  They do, however, wear skates and carry sticks.

And then the skates and stick were removed from the logo, making it even more realistic. It was so realistic, in fact, that people mistook it for a mechanical pigeon.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

IIRC, they added it for the Winter Classic and then removed it when they weren't playing outside games wearing that uniform anymore.

9 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I had a similar idea only with this jersey:

image.jpeg

Just replace powder blue with yellow and navy with black.

We're talking road jerseys, right? I'd replace white with yellow, navy with black and powder with white.

A logo depicting motion does not belong enclosed in a circle or other boundary. 

The penguin has no room to skate and looks awkward in the circle.  It's why I'm against helmet stripes for teams like the Falcons that have a logo that is "in flight" across the helmet and doesn't need a barrier that only serves to make it appear static.

41 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

IIRC, they added it for the Winter Classic and then removed it when they weren't playing outside games wearing that uniform anymore.

We're talking road jerseys, right? I'd replace white with yellow, navy with black and powder with white.

My idea was for an alternate uniform.

17 hours ago, eww7633 said:

Penguins30.png

It worked for these, which people seem to agree is the best look the Pens have had.

This was always my favourite look... i own a Lemieux and Crosby in this style... Honestly think if they used this with "Pittsburgh Gold" it would be pretty damn good

7 minutes ago, GMac said:

This was always my favourite look... i own a Lemieux and Crosby in this style... Honestly think if they used this with "Pittsburgh Gold" it would be pretty damn good

Could somebody mock this up?

11 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Could somebody mock this up?

I did a while back

pit%2Bin%2Bbright%2Byellow.png

The great thing about those uniforms is they had metallic gold material.

sidney_crosby_39.jpg

Jersey makers have lost that knowledge apparently. 

It's called dazzle knit material... NBA teams featured this material during the late '90's... problem is that the shiny material snags horribly and looks awful after over a period of time. 

So to promote their return to athletic gold, are they finally going to raise back up Mario's old retirement banner with the right colors, the colors which he wore for most his career, and pull the other one down??

Retired number dilemmas like this always make me think of what a generally bad idea it is to change your team's colors. Teams will keep a logo or script but change the colors when it should be the other way around. Spain wouldn't keep its flag design but change the colors to two-tone blue. But it just screams Spain!

4 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

So to promote their return to athletic gold, are they finally going to raise back up Mario's old retirement banner with the right colors, the colors which he wore for most his career, and pull the other one down??

I hate when they change banners. It feels so wrong. Sure, he didn't wear that for most of his career, but that's what he retired in, and he picked those colors.

I also find it amusing:

This is a great identity! They should bring this back! It's perfect!

Penguins24.png

This identity is awful! It's so muddled! It's not unified! They minimize a great logo! It's terrible!

Wild09.png

But yeah, an alt based on any of the above would be pretty great. I like all the concepts for Nashville based on the 1967 striping, because it looks like guitar strings or sheet music, and because that pattern needs to be used somewhere, because it's too good.