College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I believe they wore that two years ago, then wore the crimson wood-grain helmets with crimson jerseys last year.

I guess I should have been more specific. They came out with a crimson jersey and a cream jersey with the alternate sets. Did they add a white one version is what I'm trying to ask. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

So when Oklahoma unveiled the wood-grain alternates, did they unveil a white one with it? Because this image from UniSwag's Twitter looks like a white jersey to me.

CxSOLbqW8AEQBKC.jpg:large

They seem to wear them against WVU:
Image result for wvu vs oklahoma 2015Image result for wvu vs oklahoma 2014

That's who they play this week.

IxkieML.png

@DC in Da House w/o a Doubt @JosiahWVU You guys going to be there? It's a True Blue game, so wear blue if you are!

I don't understand Nike's obsession with making oddly modified sets of numbers. Some really work with the theme (like the Vikings' numbers), and then others are just flat-out well-designed (like North Carolina's current set). But why do Wake Forest's look the way they do (the 8s are asymmetrical vertically, but are rotationally symmetric; why)? Why do OU's have all those little points? I presume there's a design-related reason for all of them (like WVU's numbers meant to resemble pick axes). Or is it just to reduce IP duplication/theft by counterfeiters? It seems like Nike gets a good idea for what they want a set of numbers to look like, then they push them just over the line into "Hey, I'm just going to add some random shapes to these numbers to make them look extra cool!" territory.

Maybe that's just gripe-y on my part, and it comes down to taste. But so much of the customer numbers they do just make me ask "why?"

31 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

@DC in Da House w/o a Doubt @JosiahWVU You guys going to be there? It's a True Blue game, so wear blue if you are!

I don't understand Nike's obsession with making oddly modified sets of numbers. Some really work with the theme (like the Vikings' numbers), and then others are just flat-out well-designed (like North Carolina's current set). But why do Wake Forest's look the way they do (the 8s are asymmetrical vertically, but are rotationally symmetric; why)? Why do OU's have all those little points? I presume there's a design-related reason for all of them (like WVU's numbers meant to resemble pick axes). Or is it just to reduce IP duplication/theft by counterfeiters? It seems like Nike gets a good idea for what they want a set of numbers to look like, then they push them just over the line into "Hey, I'm just going to add some random shapes to these numbers to make them look extra cool!" territory.

Maybe that's just gripe-y on my part, and it comes down to taste. But so much of the customer numbers they do just make me ask "why?"

No some look really bad. I'm in the minority that likes WVUs numbers, but the OU alt numbers look really bad imo.

As far as reasoning, the corners of the Wake Forest numbers are angled at like 20 degrees, but i can't recall the significance.  

15 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

No some look really bad. I'm in the minority that likes WVUs numbers, but the OU alt numbers look really bad imo.

As far as reasoning, the corners of the Wake Forest numbers are angled at like 20 degrees, but i can't recall the significance.  

Wake Forest actually uses the font that Nike created for Minnesota, so there is no significance to WF. And I can't remember what reasoning Nike gave for the font when they initially unveiled it for Minnesota.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Those would be great if not for the huuuuge collar and the horns/points off the shoulder caps of the white jerseys.

I think you misspelled "The Jaws of Husky Stadium."  :D

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Wake Forest actually uses the font that Nike created for Minnesota, so there is no significance to WF. And I can't remember what reasoning Nike gave for the font when they initially unveiled it for Minnesota.

False:

"The black and gold uniform features a new custom number font honoring the university's founding in 1834. The numbers feature angled notches at 18 and 34 degrees, top and bottom respectively."

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050515aaa.html

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

11 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

False:

"The black and gold uniform features a new custom number font honoring the university's founding in 1834. The numbers feature angled notches at 18 and 34 degrees, top and bottom respectively."

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050515aaa.html

Yeah, I was wrong and it was actually Oregon State that I meant to say but Minnesota has a similar font as well. But my point still stands because the font that Wake uses is not an exact match to Oregon State's (the 1, 2 and 5's are noticaebly adjusted on Wake's set) but it's clear that it's just an adjusted version of OSU's and not a complete custom font that was created from scratch for WF.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 11/14/2016 at 9:22 PM, aawagner011 said:

Also publicly mugged Auburn and Hawaii the year prior to win the Sugar Bowl in them...jerseys don't win or lose games.

The "public mugging" comment was an actual quote from one of the commentators during the game.. One which the bulldogs thought it would be a good idea to hype up and black out a home game, in which they got beat down, and the commentators said "this was supposed to be a blackout, but it's become a public mugging..", So in regards to the other two games being "public muggings" the year before, no they weren't.. They were just big wins

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Yeah, I was wrong and it was actually Oregon State that I meant to say but Minnesota has a similar font as well. But my point still stands because the font that Wake uses is not an exact match to Oregon State's (the 1, 2 and 5's are noticaebly adjusted on Wake's set) but it's clear that it's just an adjusted version of OSU's and not a complete custom font that was created from scratch for WF.

While I agree that there are strong similarities, I don't think the designers at Nike would just open an .ai file of Oregon State's numbers and change the angles of the notches to the certain degree values and call it complete. While I think they make some questionable choices on how the final numbers look, I do appreciate the thought behind the designs. I would presume each set is built from scratch.

After looking at several of these number sets, what I want to know is what Nike's obsession with not "notching" the upper right and lower left corners of numbers like 8 or 2 is.

8957754-ncaa-football-duke-wake-forest-1

Minnesota-Gophers-Football.jpg?w=630&h=4

oregon-state.jpg

11 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

While I agree that there are strong similarities, I don't think the designers at Nike would just open an .ai file of Oregon State's numbers and change the angles of the notches to the certain degree values and call it complete. While I think they make some questionable choices on how the final numbers look, I do appreciate the thought behind the designs. I would presume each set is built from scratch.

After looking at several of these number sets, what I want to know is what Nike's obsession with not "notching" the upper right and lower left corners of numbers like 8 or 2 is.

8957754-ncaa-football-duke-wake-forest-1

you'd be surprised!

i think the 90 degree corners on the WF numbers makes sense here though. they're highlighting the angles on the bottom-right and upper-left corners here; that's the whole idea to this number set. so for that to work, i think its best to "zero" those opposite corners so you're not mixing in 3 different angle cuts, or having someone guess which corner has that intended meaning

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Interesting. I would think it would be more aesthetically pleasing to just mirror the angles from the opposite sides and have symmetry (excuse the rough trace):

wakenumbers.png

Two things with that though: 1) I guess it comes down to taste, and I personally prefer symmetry along the vertical axis when comes to numbers like 8. 2) Technically, those angles wouldn't be 18 and 34 degrees, respectively, if the 8 (and other numbers) had the notches where they currently simply have 90 degree corners. They'd be 162 degrees and 146 degrees, respectively.

13 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Interesting. I would think it would be more aesthetically pleasing to just mirror the angles from the opposite sides and have symmetry (excuse the rough trace):

wakenumbers.png

Two things with that though: 1) I guess it comes down to taste, and I personally prefer symmetry along the vertical axis when comes to numbers like 8. 2) Technically, those angles wouldn't be 18 and 34 degrees, respectively, if the 8 (and other numbers) had the notches where they currently simply have 90 degree corners. They'd be 162 degrees and 146 degrees, respectively.

ahh, see i didnt even think of that. i would hope (because who really knows with Nike) that was the primary reason for doing the cuts on the chosen corners

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived