NFL 2017 changes?

Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not gonna start a new thread yet since Twitter sources can be super sus, but it is exciting to think about nonetheless: I've seen a couple of journalists on Twitter say that the word around the Jaguars stadium tours is that the team will be getting new uniforms next year in their first year of eligibility since their last (awful) redesign. The word has it that they will still be mostly black but with more teal, and that the change stems from Coughlin wanting to see them go a more traditional route (also, he apparently hates the gold :D).

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/913431383426699264

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/913432515729346560

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/913432707039924224

https://twitter.com/AlfieBCC/status/913434815642390528

If this means that they're getting rid of what I think it means that they're getting rid of, then I couldn't be more excited, although I'd prefer that they'd straight up go back to teal jerseys full time. Since these unis only lasted for the entire length of the Gus Bradley regimen plus one year, they and their helmets will likely go down as a blight on the franchise's history. If anyone wants to discuss the salvageability of their current look, then I'll direct you to my comments here:

This also will likely mean that they will be the first of at least two teams so far to go back to the drawing board on Nike's initial attempt at a redesign (with the Browns rumored to be changing in 2020). Sounds like a pretty bad look for Nike in the eyes of the NFL, who is obviously very conscious about their brands' visibility and consistency. However, since I've seen Nike knock some looks out of the park before (Lions, Vikings), I'm hoping that the second time is the charm.

Again, Twitter sources be damned, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for this day that I've awaited so long.

Extra thoughts:

~Since they're changing the helmets and the change overall seems rather Coughlin-driven, I can see them going back to regular black helmets so that they could do a throwback to Coughlin's heyday with the team (or at least I can dream).

~If Color Rush sticks around at least another year for some reason, I'd based on the given info that it will be assuredly teal.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, DNAsports said:

Why can't the 49ers have common sense and add gold outlines to at least the numbers on their color rush/alternate uniform?

Quite simply the NFL protocol with alternates prior to Color Rush was just to simply do a color swap. Since this 49ers black set existed before the Rush happened, that's exactly why it is the way it is. 

Go A's!

The one thing that I think is salvageable from the current set is the number font. I actually like it. It would be a nice blend of modern and traditional if they minimized the design but kept the font. I like the teal numbers on the white, but the teal jerseys need white numbers.

Also, while the execution on the current set absolutely sucks, the color balance is pretty good. I like the emphasis that all colors are there.

nike-jacksonville-jaguar-uniforms.jpg

Much better than the prior set set which appeared exclusively teal, white, and black. Gold was virtually erased aside from the helmet logo.

54caabc189506.image.png

The helmet is non-negotiable and has gotta go. The worst in all of football, professional or collegiate. I'd either go all matte black or that black with teal flakes they used to have.

cropped_USPW_596164.jpg?ts=1466446113

As a Jags fan I am estatic to see the news of going to a more traditional look and a one color helmet. 

I think it's pretty telling that 2 of the original Nike designs are changing directly after the 5 year minimum usage (assuming the Browns change in 2020 like rumored)

55 minutes ago, Gr3g3 said:

As a Jags fan I am estatic to see the news of going to a more traditional look and a one color helmet. 

I think it's pretty telling that 2 of the original Nike designs are changing directly after the 5 year minimum usage (assuming the Browns change in 2020 like rumored)

As damning as it is, I do actually have a bit of hope that Nike can turn things around and salvage their rep with these upcoming redesigns because the world of football design has been leaning more and more traditional in the past few years. Since the Browns disaster in 2015 and taking a break from NFL redesigns in 2016, they came back with a masterpiece for the Lions. Also, recent college designs for teams like UCLA, Cal, and even Oregon have been very reserved.

I think that it is safe to say at this point that Nike took over the NFL at a very unfortunate time for football uniforms. The early 2010's proved to just be an arms race amongst teams trying to create the most futuristic, "fire" uniform elements to try to keep up with the Duck. That even Oregon is pulling it back these days is pretty telling that teams are getting over wacky, swaggy uniforms in favor of modern classics. Time will tell as we see how they handle the Jags and Titans in 2018 and the Rams and Browns in 2020 (heck, throw in the Bucs for some seriously due cleanup in 2019.)

44 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Really hoping they keep the new Jaguar head. I'm a huge fan of it! (not saying it is 100% perfect, but I still love it)

I was really sour to it at first, but it grew on me A LOT. It really is a great looking sports logo and looks amazing on a teal background. The original looks very dated by comparison as it is.

7 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Can you just change your facemask for a non color rush game?

Considering the Jets are for this weekend’s game, it seems pretty obvious that teams can change facemasks for any game, not just the Color Rush games.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Random thought:  I wonder if the Packers ever thought about changing to white facemasks for Color Rush.   Yellow helmets with white facemasks aren't unheard of, and usually look okay.  

And if facemasks are now changeable throughout the year for all games, like @upperV03said, I'd like to see the Pats switch to gray facemasks for a home game (as a Pats fan).  Also would like to see Browns and Giants switch to white facemasks for a game, and Steelers switch to gray for a game.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived