USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

5 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Was Chicago being cut known before today? Cincinnati's left as the only potential host site in the Great Lakes, so I'd imagine they'll be hosting games.

Yes. Chicago, Phoenix, Vancouver and Minneapolis didn't like the financials and made it known they were not involved back in March.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

...... And I can plan on taking my daughter to the World Cup!

2 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

......Then I was disappointed to realize how old I'll be...

Tell me about it.

I should have gone back in 1994 when I was 29, but I was very busy with other things.  When I saw that we got it for 2026, I thought, 'hey, maybe the daughters (and wife) and I can go this time' (we've gone together to 4 MLS games in New York, Seattle, L.A. and Portland).

Then I realized that in summer 2026, the girls will be 25 and 29, wife will be 59, and I'll be 61.

Screw it, I'm still making plans. Besides, the house will be paid off, they'll be done with college, I'll have a LOT more money. We'll go in style....

Just hope I'm not "Grandpa B-Rich" by then....

It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

Tell me about it.

I should have gone back in 1994 when I was 29, but I was very busy with other things.  When I saw that we got it for 2026, I thought, 'hey, maybe the daughters (and wife) and I can go this time' (we've gone together to 4 MLS games in New York, Seattle, L.A. and Portland).

Then I realized that in summer 2026, the girls will be 25 and 29, wife will be 59, and I'll be 61.

Screw it, I'm still making plans. Besides, the house will be paid off, they'll be done with college, I'll have a LOT more money. We'll go in style....

My daughter will be 16 and right at that age where it may be one of the last father/daughter things we do before she leaves home. I stopped trying to figure out how old I'll be by then because I know how old I'll be when she graduates high school. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Personally I'm happy that Tampa wasn't chosen as a candidate site....but proud to say I am glad North America is hosting since they got hosed out of 2022 by Qatar.

Now to have Qatar fail enough so that England or France get to host.

36 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Personally I'm happy that Tampa wasn't chosen as a candidate site....but proud to say I am glad North America is hosting since they got hosed out of 2022 by Qatar.

Now to have Qatar fail enough so that England or France get to host.

I think FIFA will give them every chance (Qatar) to host. As far as Confederations Cup in 2021, they may have to play it in Europe during the summer if they even have it. They could do a super condensed version with teams playing every other day if they go with a December in Qatar version, but I'm sure FIFPro might cry foul.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Wings said:

16 cities in total will host matches.

10 in the U.S.

3 in Mexico

3 in Canada

Of the 17 cities/stadiums that are in the running to be selected as one of the 10 U.S. host sites, the reality is that just 13 cities are fighting for 6 slots.

The early word is that the USSF has already proposed that the opening match of the tournament should be staged at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA), with AT&T Stadium (Arlington, TX) and Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta, GA) hosting the semi-finals, and MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) as the site for the final.

If those four venues are selected, my gut is telling me that five of the six remaining U.S. slots would go to CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA), FedEx Field (Landover, MD), Hard Rock Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL), Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, CA), and NRG Stadium (Houston, TX). Beyond that, I think Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City, MO) gets the nod for the final spot, if only for the tournament to have a presence in the nation's heartland.   

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Of the 17 cities/stadiums that are in the running to be selected as one of the 10 U.S. host sites, the reality is that just 13 cities are fighting for 6 slots.

The early word is that the USSF has already proposed that the opening match of the tournament should be staged at the Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA), with AT&T Stadium (Arlington, TX) and Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta, GA) hosting the semi-finals, and MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) as the site for the final.

If those four venues are selected, my gut is telling me that five of the six remaining U.S. slots would go to CenturyLink Field (Seattle, WA), FedEx Field (Landover, MD), Hard Rock Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL), Levi's Stadium (Santa Clara, CA), and NRG Stadium (Houston, TX). Beyond that, I think Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City, MO) gets the nod for the final spot, if only for the tournament to have a presence in the nation's heartland.   

So you think Foxborough gets skipped over this time?

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Yes. Chicago, Phoenix, Vancouver and Minneapolis didn't like the financials and made it known they were not involved back in March.

That's fascinating -- to bid on the headache that the Olympics would have been, but not be interested in the relatively simple hosting of a World Cup match.

Selfishly hoping that Atlanta gets chosen for group stage and that USMNT plays there. I'd be willing to go anywhere to see us play at home the in World Cup (too young to remember '94, so this is very exciting). Mercedes-Benz shouldn't be the crown jewel of American stadiums at that point; hoping not to have to shell out for the final rounds there, not that I'm too optimistic about the team getting that far.

PJU85JF.png

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Tell me about it.

When my parents paid off their house, they took my girlfriend (now wife) and I to New York City.  We were like a year out of school at the time and could not afford to travel anywhere that did not include a free stay, so it was pretty cool.  Your (particularly the older one) will be older than I was (i.e., may have actual money) but it would still be a cool thing to do, assuming they're into the World Cup.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, Wings said:

So you think Foxborough gets skipped over this time?

I wouldn't bet on that. I could certainly see Gillette Stadium/Foxborough getting the nod. 

However, with the USSF apparently wanting Greater New York (MetLife Stadium) to play host to the 2026 World Cup Final , plus my gut telling me that there's going to be a desire to have part of the competition staged in proximity to the nation's capital (FedEx Field), I just don't see a pressing need for Greater Boston to play host to matches.

We'll see.   

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Don't forget, though, that Bob Kraft is the "honorary chairman" of the bid committee board. One would think that's a big advantage for Foxboro, even if it's lacking otherwise. 

I'd think they want the newer stadia though so that could get rid of Arrowhead. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd think they want the newer stadia though so that could get rid of Arrowhead. 

Well if you exclude K.C. then you wouldn't have any matches in the Midwest at all. 

39 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

This is one of the advantages of any US/North American World Cup: we know what happens with our venues after the World Cup ends.  We don't even know what the plans are for the stadiums after the Russia World Cup and I would guess most of the stadiums in Qatar will be torn down after 2022.   

4 minutes ago, Wings said:

Well if you exclude K.C. then you wouldn't have any matches in the Midwest at all. 

I think you'll see the Midwest used for base camps regardless as there will have to be 48 training sites, unless they set up shop around Dallas, Seattle, Cary or IMG for multiple teams. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

This is one of the advantages of any US/North American World Cup: we know what happens with our venues after the World Cup ends.  We don't even know what the plans are for the stadiums after the Russia World Cup and I would guess most of the stadiums in Qatar will be torn down after 2022.   

Yekaterinburg stadium's extra seats will most likely get torn down and that end closed back up. Qatar is supposed to be using modular stadiums that will be reconfigured to a smaller seating arrangement and the other parts shipped to poorer nations to build up their infrastructure. I think they ditched the idea of the mobile cloud cooling systems. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I wouldn't bet on that. I could certainly see Gillette Stadium/Foxborough getting the nod. 

However, with the USSF apparently wanting Greater New York (MetLife Stadium) to play host to the 2026 World Cup Final , plus my gut telling me that there's going to be a desire to have part of the competition staged in proximity to the nation's capital (FedEx Field), I just don't see a pressing need for Greater Boston to play host to matches.

We'll see.   

Robert Kraft is an honorary director of the board for the United 2026 bid.....because of this, I assume Foxborough is a lock.

Archived