MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

On 4/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, OnWis97 said:

I think powder blue and whatever that 1980s Philly color just work really well together.  I wish someone in NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB had it full time.  It would make for a great set of uniforms.  

Well, it'd be tough for any non-Phillies MLB team to adopt maroon and light blue w/o being constantly compared to that set.  Even if you went with a predominantly blue look, did everything possible to avoid any resemblance, there would still be whispers of the 'P' word.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

Well, it'd be tough for any non-Phillies MLB team to adopt maroon and light blue w/o being constantly compared to that set.  Even if you went with a predominantly blue look, did everything possible to avoid any resemblance, there would still be whispers of the 'P' word.

In baseball, maybe.  Maybe.  

But not in any other sport.  Nobody looks at the Colorado Rapids and whispers anything like the ‘P’ word.  Unless you mean “perfect”.  

Rapids-laydown-kit-image.jpg

Different sports have different aesthetics.  Which means that anybody outside MLB could easily adopt that color scheme and avoid any serious comparisons. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

In baseball, maybe.  Maybe.  

But not in any other sport.  Nobody looks at the Colorado Rapids and whispers anything like the ‘P’ word.  Unless you mean “perfect”.  

Rapids-laydown-kit-image.jpg

Different sports have different aesthetics.  Which means that anybody outside MLB could easily adopt that color scheme and avoid any serious comparisons. 

81457229-copy-e1426517180763.jpg464571.jpeg

I love this one too.

4 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

And that's why I only said MLB.  On that note, the color combo is pretty popular in English soccer, though they call it claret instead of maroon.

https://goo.gl/images/5BiqEo

https://goo.gl/images/YpejHp

https://goo.gl/images/oi99ng

True, but the more people get used to seeing it elsewhere, the less it becomes exclusively or even predominantly identified with the Phillies in the popular consciousness.  I think we're getting to the point where only hardcore baseball fans would make the connection upon an unveiling, and that comparison would be viewed as a minor quirk, quickly dropped.

On 4/24/2018 at 5:58 PM, Michael Bolton said:

Take this of course with a grain of salt but I saw on Twitter the other day from someone "supposedly" in the know that the Braves are in the process of phasing out their road greys. I guess that means they'll be wearing the navy blue tops more often, but I can't imagine any MLB team completely eliminating standard primary road grey unis. Unless maybe they're coming out with new ones in the next year or two?

I'll take it with a pretty big grain of salt. I thought this was the case a few years ago when I walked into the team store and grabbed an authentic, on-field Cool Base road grey jersey for $99. It wasn't a closeout due to the switch over to Flex Base (this was still at least 2 or 3 seasons before the switch). 

I'm more curious to find out why the Braves have yet to wear their weekend cream fauxbacks, despite having two weekend series at home thus far. I wonder if bigger uni changes are coming?

3 minutes ago, Bucs007 said:

I'll take it with a pretty big grain of salt. I thought this was the case a few years ago when I walked into the team store and grabbed an authentic, on-field Cool Base road grey jersey for $99. It wasn't a closeout due to the switch over to Flex Base (this was still at least 2 or 3 seasons before the switch). 

I'm more curious to find out why the Braves have yet to wear their weekend cream fauxbacks, despite having two weekend series at home thus far. I wonder if bigger uni changes are coming?

Other reason why it could not have been worn is may have been a discontinued style?

24 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Other reason why it could not have been worn is may have been a discontinued style?

It wasn't. There were no changes to the jersey the following season, either to the material, the logo. Nothing. I was flabbergasted. I just think they ordered a ton of on-field road jerseys and they didn't sell. 

Anyways. I don't doubt people's reports about the Braves' ditching their current road jerseys, but in terms of merch sales, it always seems to be the step child to the rest of their jerseys. 

2 hours ago, Bucs007 said:

It wasn't. There were no changes to the jersey the following season, either to the material, the logo. Nothing. I was flabbergasted. I just think they ordered a ton of on-field road jerseys and they didn't sell. 

Anyways. I don't doubt people's reports about the Braves' ditching their current road jerseys, but in terms of merch sales, it always seems to be the step child to the rest of their jerseys. 

What I meant was that it was no longer an option in the Style Guide.  I have no access to that so I'm only making an assumption that the cream fauxbacks are no longer shown there.

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

The Braves have said they are only wearing the creams on Sundays this season. So far they've only had one Sunday home game and it was a rainout. You will see them a few times this year.

Are they using a designated day of the week where they wear their red alternates for home games?

3 minutes ago, msubulldog said:

Are they using a designated day of the week where they wear their red alternates for home games?

Last year they wore them twice, Saturday May 20th and Sunday September 10. Close to patriotic holidays I guess?

ClAFLDa.png

16 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

The Braves have said they are only wearing the creams on Sundays this season. So far they've only had one Sunday home game and it was a rainout. You will see them a few times this year.

Thanks for the update. Haven't seen the style guide, so I wasn't aware of any changes. 

20 hours ago, tohasbo said:

What I meant was that it was no longer an option in the Style Guide.  I have no access to that so I'm only making an assumption that the cream fauxbacks are no longer shown there.

I wonder if they're planning bigger changes when UA takes over in 2020 and are slowly but surely phasing out some of their current options? I assume they won't change their home whites, but you never know these days... 

The more and more I think about it, the key color for the Padres isn't brown nor blue. 

It's yellow. Padres need to have yellow in their colour scheme, regardless if it's blue and yellow (my personal choice) or brown and yellow. They need it to look like themselves. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived