kimball

12 hours ago, kimball said:

Or are you thinking of the City Jersey?

ff_3077725-3c60d014c0935e92373dalt1_full

That's probably it. I was really skeptical at first because I couldn't think of a reason as to why they would go with those colors (other than maybe a Packers tie-in), but I see this reminisces the Mecca court days.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merry Christmas to all armchair NBA branding experts. I hadn’t realized the Knicks navy unis’ checker side panels had different lengths on the back, I guess maybe to create a skyline effect but it just kinda looks like they’re ripped. Ruins the otherwise nice throwback look there. The Bucks are proof that not every mashup is a good idea.

Also. My primary whine is that I hate the history of alternate uniforms on Christmas; if this is the marquee NBA day, wear the marquee classic looks, not the flash in the pan alternates that should be saved for the February doldrums when we’re all bored. But Houston/OKC is a case of the alternates actually being the best looks and I want to see that all the time. Just gimme a black collar on that Houston jersey.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So, help me understand.

The NBA has long taken Christmas to be "their" holiday, to the extent now that they have games throughout the day when, while I was growing up, they usually had two, maybe three games, max, and one of them was the Lakers in the later half of the afternoon, say, 5:30 ET or thereabouts. But, you know what, whatever if they want to have games throughout the day. They probably just see it as extra exposure. Their perogative, fine.

But, for the last several years now, they've had the teams playing on this day, the upwards-to 10 teams that is, play in uniforms that are not their regular uniforms. Not even their #1 alternate uniform in some cases. Many of them are playing in one-off uniforms, not worn on any other day of the season. Meaning, in other words, that on a day when the NBA gets a great deal of exposure, and on a day when an utter casual like myself might turn a game on for a bit because I've literally got nothing better to do, I turn a game on and see the Knicks and Bucks wearing uniforms that look absolutely nothing like what the Knicks or the Bucks look like. I mean, the Knicks playing in black uniforms. Who on earth thinks that's a good idea? Who thinks that wearing special uniforms on Christmas that, often times, don't look like something the teams involved would normally wear, is a good idea? 

Utter effin' madness. I don't understand. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

So, help me understand.

The NBA has long taken Christmas to be "their" holiday, to the extent now that they have games throughout the day when, while I was growing up, they usually had two, maybe three games, max, and one of them was the Lakers in the later half of the afternoon, say, 5:30 ET or thereabouts. But, you know what, whatever if they want to have games throughout the day. They probably just see it as extra exposure. Their perogative, fine.

But, for the last several years now, they've had the teams playing on this day, the upwards-to 10 teams that is, play in uniforms that are not their regular uniforms. Not even their #1 alternate uniform in some cases. Many of them are playing in one-off uniforms, not worn on any other day of the season. Meaning, in other words, that on a day when the NBA gets a great deal of exposure, and on a day when an utter casual like myself might turn a game on for a bit because I've literally got nothing better to do, I turn a game on and see the Knicks and Bucks wearing uniforms that look absolutely nothing like what the Knicks or the Bucks look like. I mean, the Knicks playing in black uniforms. Who on earth thinks that's a good idea? Who thinks that wearing special uniforms on Christmas that, often times, don't look like something the teams involved would normally wear, is a good idea? 

Utter effin' madness. I don't understand. 

It’s to get people to buy those jerseys for the holidays, so they get the same jerseys as a present that they are debuting that day.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

That's probably it. I was really skeptical at first because I couldn't think of a reason as to why they would go with those colors (other than maybe a Packers tie-in), but I see this reminisces the Mecca court days.

I wonder how long until we see a tie in with another sports team. I could totally see the Knicks doing Yankee pinstripes unfortunately...

It’s a bigger problem in that each team has so many more variations of jerseys it’s going to blur the line on what their ‘standard’ set is.  

And the Nike labeling is upsurd as who can keep track of the names for each set.  Earned vs city vs icon.  It’s just a mess.  

33 minutes ago, Digby said:

I’m not really seeing Lakers in these Celtics unis; yellow has always been a secondary color for them. But it does look bad! Maybe they’ll bring back the metallic gold like the old St Patrick’s Day jerseys next year.

I'm a Celtics fan and I don't hate today's uniform, but I agree that the metallic gold looks superior to this athletic gold. Athletic gold pairs better with slightly darker shades of green.  💚🏀🎄🏀☘️

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

59 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

You might be right there, my friend 😉

Cheers for that Conrad, great news. I look forward to the Celtics experimenting with slightly different gold/yellow Pantone swatches for trim elements, until the Nike deal runs out.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

34 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Random question but does anyone know where I can buy this Nets jersey (should be a full time alt). Real or fake, I cant find it for sale anywhere

661108064-brooklyn-nets-v-detroit-piston

I'm not sure where you can buy them, if you even still can? But, they're from the last year Adidas had the league contract ... so 2016-17. You might have some luck on eBay?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived