Welcome to the 90's

Luingus221

6 hours ago, insert name said:

The first year St. John's became the Red Storm, they had the skyline on their shorts.

lopez-inline_grande.jpg?v=1479463635

You're looking at the shorts, but that squash-n-stretch type treatment screams 1994 so loudly that I'm going deaf.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Here's Wild Wing vs. Burger King with no glow puck, but instead two fighting robots as the goal animation

That's the most 90s thing ever.

44 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Remember when HDTV was going to revolutionize NHL broadcasting? It's certainly easier to follow, but the presentation is still basically the same. If any sport could benefit from an XFL-style makeover, it's hockey.

I'm going to say no thanks.

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Here's Wild Wing vs. Burger King with no glow puck, but instead two fighting robots as the goal animation

This is probably what I was thinking of. Thanks.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The 1990s has a thing for existing teams pulling a “dark & fade.” Take the Astros, for instance, with their navy-heavy design in conjunction with gold accents and Eurostile (a perennial faux-futuristic font, that had a 1990s resurgence).

375x250.jpg

This uniform set might have been my “uniform awakening.” I remember thinking it looked so cool the first time I saw it on a baseball card. 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:24 PM, Brass said:

vancouverbasketballgrizzlies.jpg?quality

/thread

I loved everything about this set of logos and uniforms. Seriously.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Remember when HDTV was going to revolutionize NHL broadcasting? It's certainly easier to follow, but the presentation is still basically the same. If any sport could benefit from an XFL-style makeover, it's hockey.

I'd like to see a hockey game televised in a vertical format, like they do for hockey video games (and live tennis, though for different reasons). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The NBC family experimented with a video-game-style camera on power plays and it made people angry, and Sportsnet was trying some stuff with GoPros and drones that I believe also made people angry. 

The original Heritage Classic, as I recall, had a camera running on a track along the top of the glass or something. I thought that was cool and that we would see that overtake the sideline hard camera. Now that cameras are a lot smaller than they were ~15 years ago, I'd like to see the league revisit that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

I'd sort of forgotten that doing goofy stuff with your shorts was a thing in college hoops in the 1990s.

122410-8305722Fr.jpg

I can't get over how much real estate "TEXAS ## TECH" takes up on the front of those jerseys. The letters and the numbers are roughly equal heights.

If the letters and numbers were both tackle twill, it seems like those jerseys would be incredibly stiff and uncomfortable.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Before I was a Falcons fan or even a Braves fan, I was a 6-year old kid with a bunch of Atlanta Hawks trading cards and a few posters someone gave to me for reasons I obviously can't remember. These Atlanta Hawks uniforms signify the beginnings of my fandom in the mid 90s. 

I never thought the uniforms looked weird because of how my first exposure to sports branding as a kid was big, fat, wide swashes of color and gaudy graphics. 

Image result for steve smith atlanta hawks

I twas 95 or 96 and I was heavy into basketball cards, so the series one didn't have the rookies or the new uniforms. I remember when the series 2 cards came out and I saw the Raptops, Grizzlies, Hawks, Sonics (and I believe the Rockets) all had jerseys for the first time. I was completely blown away

On 3/18/2018 at 9:17 AM, QueenCitySwarm said:

vr7yd7ghightk5f9g3jh5ltnc.gif

Oh my. The logo concept isn't awful, but the overly edgy font and the face on the rocket really cement this as a "peak 90s" logo.

Even as a kid i hated the Rockets pajama set that came with this logo

15.jpg

VAN99022701.jpg

1 hour ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Even as a kid i hated the Rockets pajama set that came with this logo

Weird.  As a kid, those were my favorite jerseys in the league.  Followed closely by the inaugural Raptors set.  And this one:

3e56bfa0ac71a0e33a4c3cd26d0d15ca.jpg

But for total 90's badness I gotta shout out these bad boys....

gettyimages-721480461.jpg?w=1024

On 3/18/2018 at 9:17 AM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I've got a couple:

1bhcqs6l5t44lw04y1tygdsce.png

This just screams 90s. Buff dude, gradient, loud, bright colors, it's the perfect 90s bad package.

Basketball Sentai Warrioranger, sanjou!

This is what the Warriors wore when I first got into basketball, so I’ll always have a soft spot for it.

Even the Ivy League wasn't immune to the wild shorts phenomenon.

58225-5053561Bk.jpg 69477-5055693Fr.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, the mid '90s Kentucky "denim" uniform:

kentucky-denim-uniform-675x380.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived