2018 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This week might be a bigger test for the Rams than last week.

Not only do they have the aftermath of the Thousand Oaks shooting but now the whole area around their headquarters is on fire.

VmWIn6B.png

15 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

There are reports that Bell is expected back around next week. That's pretty lame. Although, him and his agent handled this whole situation poorly... he was never going to come out as the winner.

Someone help me out with a little CBA-Fu here... because while I've actually read a good bit of the document, this Bell situation is a scenario I'm not familiar enough with (nor can accurately interpret - along with a whole bunch of people in the media, apparently) to figure out a positive end game on either side.

As I understand it (and if I'm wrong here, please correct me), provided Bell reports on or before the 13th, he's credited with a season with respect to his contract, thus making him at least theoretically one step closer to being a free agent.  But on the other hand, I've read that even if he does report, the Steelers can simply slap a franchise tag (again?  I'm not sure if they did this for 2018; I don't follow the labor relations aspects of the NFL nearly as closely as I do other aspects of its business operations) on him for 2019.

So aside from Bell preserving his health by not taking hits through mid-November, he seems to gain nothing, and in fact has lost millions in game checks.  The Steelers, meanwhile, now have a player on their roster that they're apparently unable to trade, too proud to let go FA, no longer have a real use for, are unwilling to pay market value for his services going forward, and at his first opportunity will leave pretty much no matter what.

So I guess my ?'s here are...

1 - If Bell reports on or before the 13th then plays out the season, does he become an unrestricted FA?

2 - If Bell reports, what are the Steelers options for tying him up for 2019, if any?  Is a(nother) franchise tag an option, and if so, what are the ramifications of that for all involved?

3 - If Bell doesn't report at all, his contract goes into what's known as "tolled" status (basically, if I signed a deal for 2019-2023, played in 2019 then skipped 2020, the contract would automatically be extended through 2024); but some of what I've read believes that's not the case based on certain language in the CBA.

4 - What has all this done to Bell's market value?  Does his stock rise if he hits the FA market due to having gone a season presumably damage-free, or does his actions diminish his value?; and

5 - What has all this done to Bell's trade value?  I have the feeling that the Steelers tried to deal him but their asking price was too high; otherwise, he'd be gone.  But what realistically could the Steelers get for him at this point?

nav-logo.png

What I had heard somewhere was that he can be franchise tagged again, however the third time would have to be at the highest possible rate, being the quarterback rate.  I have no idea what that is, but I'll assume it's around $30M, so there's no way they'd be insane enough to do that.  His risk there is low.

If he sits the whole year, I'm not sure how he could possibly accrue the year needed to become a FA - I'm also not sure if he never signs the 2nd tag, would the next one be that magical 3rd one, or just be the 2nd one again?  

As for his value:

1. His "actions" should have zero impact.  It's all business, and everyone understands that.  He hasn't been like TO during this whole thing, so it's NBD.  Also, the year off might be seen as another positive.  Wasn't Ricky Williams an example of someone who took a year off then came back even better?  Besides - after signing a long-term deal with guarantees through at least 3 years of it, there's no reason for him to have a business-related dispute with the team.

2.  The fact that the Steelers haven't missed a beat might hurt his value, because now there could be questions about if he's a product of a system that anyone can succeed in.  I mean, he looked legitimately good to me the few times I saw him, but I'm sure those questions are out there.

Honestly, I think you need competent RBs, and at least a few of them for depth (just look at where the SBCPE are with all their injuries at RB and how they're playing practice squad guys) but it's just not worth paying franchise-tag-type dollars for stars, because the drop-off just isn't that much anymore.

I don't blame him one bit for sitting out, and he deserves what the market is willing to pay (I guess the LAR guy is the pace setter now?) but I think the market is crazy dumb.  Good for him if he's able to capitalize on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sadly, the Peterman show is over this week. I doubt Matt Barkley is much of an upgrade, but at least the Bills are kind of doing the right thing by benching the worst starting QB of all time.

That said, I think it's a gambling stay away. Both the Jets and Bills are lousy and are starting lousy QBs. 7 1/2 is way too high for this Jets team; 3 1/2 and I'm in.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 11/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mac the Knife said:

5 - What has all this done to Bell's trade value?  I have the feeling that the Steelers tried to deal him but their asking price was too high; otherwise, he'd be gone.  But what realistically could the Steelers get for him at this point?

At this point, the most likely option is Bell signs the franchise-tag this coming week and plays from Week 10 on. After the season, the Steelers let him walk. Unless he gets a low offer in free agency, the Steelers should get a 3rd-Round compensatory pick at the end of the round. 

There really isn't anything else the Steelers can get. Most likely, they were asking for a 2nd-Rounder or better at the trade deadline, which no team offered. No (smart) team would trade for Bell before FA since the Steelers probably won't resign him. 

If the Steelers transition-tag Bell (which is a whole other scenario albeit unlikely, this article explains it pretty well), they can't trade him nor would they get a compensatory draft pick. And with the emergence of James Conner, the Steelers could use the $12-15 million of Bell's salary on a player in the defensive secondary or another linebacker.

15 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

At this point, the most likely option is Bell signs the franchise-tag this coming week and plays from Week 10 on. After the season, the Steelers let him walk. Unless he gets a low offer in free agency, the Steelers should get a 3rd-Round compensatory pick at the end of the round. 

There really isn't anything else the Steelers can get. Most likely, they were asking for a 2nd-Rounder or better at the trade deadline, which no team offered. No (smart) team would trade for Bell before FA since the Steelers probably won't resign him. 

If the Steelers transition-tag Bell (which is a whole other scenario albeit unlikely, this article explains it pretty well), they can't trade him nor would they get a compensatory draft pick. And with the emergence of James Conner, the Steelers could use the $12-15 million of Bell's salary on a player in the defensive secondary or another linebacker.

Based on what all I'm reading, I have an impression this is also really going to backfire on Bell, as the Steelers have essentially proven that under the right system teams should "pay for the position" rather than the player - something that will leave teams that would've been previously interested in Bell wondering if his numbers are the product of Bell's ability or the Steelers overall offense.

nav-logo.png

45 minutes ago, Mac the Knife said:

Based on what all I'm reading, I have an impression this is also really going to backfire on Bell, as the Steelers have essentially proven that under the right system teams should "pay for the position" rather than the player

Also, he could be making something like $12M this year, instead of $0.00.

13 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Also, he could be making something like $12M this year, instead of $0.00.

Well, maybe, but I get where he's coming from - he wants what he perceives as top market value for his services, because as we all know, those contracts aren't guaranteed for the most part except on a season-to-season basis.  I'm not sure I'dve risked it to the degree he seems willing to, but I also can't say I wouldn't if I felt slighted somehow (which obviously, Bell does).

nav-logo.png

Alan Page and Roger Staubach received the National Medal of Freedom. I'm a mark for both men. I mostly am blue,but I trust Roger*.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-names-recipients-presidential-medal-freedom/

Page's wife died last month yet he still played the tuba during the Twin Cities Marathon.

*-He is the last dude may benamed Roger I will trust since we're not making many more Rogers. Former NBA player Roger Mason III seems to be our last Roger. Alan is getting scarce too.

Everything goes in cycles.  All it takes is for a movie to come out featuring a main character named "Roger", and women will be squirting out little Rogers again.

My personal favorite Rogers -

1.  Roger Mason.  Phillies win the 1993 World Series if Jim Fregosi (rot in peace) leaves Mason in rather than go to Mitch Williams.

s-l640.jpg

2.  Roger McDowell.  I was so psyched when the Phillies got him because of his antics.  Wasn't really good though.

credit Wikipedia - "he was also notorious in the league and among fans as a prankster who would light firecrackers in the dugout. He also could skillfully wrap a wad of chewing gum around a cigarette, then secretly place the contraption on the heels of unsuspecting teammates' cleats. This is known as the hot foot."

51KtmUJI-kL._SX342_.jpg61bCuaZcSEL._SY445_.jpg

3.  The GOAT (albeit I'm stretching it a bit here).  Captain William "Buck" Rogers, portrayed by Gil Gerard.  If not for his show, the world wouldn't have been introduced to the most beautiful white woman in the world, Erin Gray.  Little Vet's first crush.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1VuaZJHRsWQhJbhNdUm_images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM0AmcU2Uuyg15gQSlVin

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived