Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

59 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

You have a lot of potential here, but if it's Brandoise... they will probably ruin it for everyone.

It's Studio Simon...not to worry.

As I said on the mothership, I think they're doing this because they're feeling the pressure to...Teresa Earnhardt (Dale Sr.'s widow) has been NOTORIOUSLY protective of the family brand (She even sued her own stepson Kerry for using his own family name in a business venture once).

So the Intimidators were wondering how long they'd be allowed to keep the brand, and so wanted to change it now to avoid legal action later...

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

4 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

It would, but having the town and the team named after the same thing would be overkill. Plus, the mill closed 20ish years ago.

This is quite an entrenched baseball tradition, though.  Los Angeles Angels.  Montreal Royals.  Oakland Oaks.  And plenty more.

• Like 2

Lansing Lugnuts pay tribute to Burt Reynolds with Smokey and the Bandit jerseys

February 7, 2019 - 14:30 PM

The location of Burt Reynolds’ birthplace was the subject of debate for many years, until the iconic actor himself cleared it up in his 2015 autobiography: He was born in Lansing, Michigan, not Waycross, Georgia—a fabrication Reynolds himself had perpetuated […]

Read More...

• Like 2

I've thought a lot about this announcement since the massive chunk of NASCAR people aren't taking the move well. I'm very much pro "have a fun brand to stand out from the crowd" movement Minor League Baseball has done, but this seems like a different situation somehow.

I think the biggest thing is that there's a legitimate emotional connection to the actual name. I don't believe there was this big of outrage when the Suns became the Jumbo Shrimp because Suns is awfully generic. Yes people didn't want the change, but this seems almost universally despised. There's plenty of Suns, but only one Intimidators. Another team I could imagine having this much rebrand backlash is the Isotopes. Both are known for their name, not their logos. More than something traditional like the Sea Wolves, Bay Bears, or whatever.

But with the Isotopes, they're are in the top 20 MiLB merchandise sales so there's no real reason to move on. Kannapolis is a different story. The Intimidators current branding is really sloppy. I think the best case scenario is keeping the Intimidator name(which might happen judging from the licking they got on social media) and refreshing the entire set a-la Tennessee Smokies.

Also fwiw, i know people would have a fit if a team became the Piedmont Boll Weevils around now 😁

12 hours ago, MBurmy said:

As I said on the mothership, I think they're doing this because they're feeling the pressure to...Teresa Earnhardt (Dale Sr.'s widow) has been NOTORIOUSLY protective of the family brand (She even sued her own stepson Kerry for using his own family name in a business venture once).

So the Intimidators were wondering how long they'd be allowed to keep the brand, and so wanted to change it now to avoid legal action later...

There was rumors also that Kings Dominion and Carowinds were rebranding the Intimidator Roller Coasters for essentially the same reason a few years back but that died off a bit. I think Junior said she is very difficult to work with. 

13 hours ago, MBurmy said:

This makes sense, and I too have heard about Teresa being a real piece of work when she was the owner of DEI's racing team

Portland Sea Dogs to play a game as Maine Whoopie Pies

February 7, 2019 - 19:24 PM

Is minor league baseball big enough for two Whoopie Pie–based temporary rebrands? We’ll find out this summer. For the last two seasons, the Reading Fightin Phils have played their annual morning game as the Reading Whoopies, and today, the Portland […]

Read More...

Kannapolis Kangaroos?

Seems like a good opportunity for alliteration. 

-edit-

I'd never heard of Kannapolis before this thread. I'm sad that it's not near Indianapolis, Annapolis or Kansas. 

• Like 2

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Bowling Green Hot Rods commemorate five years since Corvette sinkhole

February 13, 2019 - 03:07 AM

On February 12, 2014, the nation was transfixed by video of a 40-foot-wide sinkhole opening under the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, swallowing eight classic cars. Five years later, the Single-A Bowling Green Hot Rods—whose whole identity is […]

Read More...

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

I really hope these stupid gimmicks never make their way to the majors. I can only imagine going to watch the Red Sox play and find them cosplaying as the quahog griffins or something.

I'm not sure how local events that made the news are the same as a nod to Family Guy.

I like the logo. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm not sure how local events that made the news are the same as a nod to Family Guy.

I like the logo. 

Because both are completely changing their entire identities for a day. Either way they are taking away from their primary brand and making their actual fans not expirience their best looks they’ve come to know and love. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Then let's make it the Boston Molasses Floods hosting the Cleveland River Fires.  None of that enhances my MLB game-watching experience.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because both are completely changing their entire identities for a day. Either way they are taking away from their primary brand and making their actual fans not expirience their best looks they’ve come to know and love. 

But how many people care about an MiLB team’s dilution of their own brand when the act of dilution is often what makes the kids laugh and gets the parents to take the family out to the park for the “one night only” swag in the first place? The brand audience for an MiLB team compared to an MLB team is like a lemon compared to a bowling ball.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

But how many people care about an MiLB team’s dilution of their own brand when the act of dilution is often what makes the kids laugh and gets the parents to take the family out to the park for the “one night only” swag in the first place? The brand audience for an MiLB team compared to an MLB team is like a lemon compared to a bowling ball.

Which is why I said I don’t want it in the mlb, or did you miss that part?