Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

BTW, Props to Air Force for telling the Big East to go to hell. Go Falcons Go.

Well, at least for now. Tank's link still quotes the commish as wanting to have a 12-team conference. My guess is that this move came first, and that when Cuse, Pitt, and WVU leave then 2 more will be added.

Air Force was a part of the original story when Boise became involved. AFA would've joined with this wave of teams had they agreed, which they apparently did not.

6uXNWAo.png

If I'm the basketball schools in the Big East, I'm either trying to force the football conference to call itself something besides the Big East to maintain what little dignity the conference has left, or starting a movement with the other hoops schools to break away and form our own conference even if it means moving the tournament away from MSG for a few years (I say a few years because how long would MSG want to host a tournament that featured South Florida and SMU rather than Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's?)

Because Nebraska (the first domino) HAD to join the BigTen, college football has now become THIS. <_<

BTW, Props to Air Force for telling the Big East to go to hell. Go Falcons Go.

AFA was playing a game of chicken with both the Big East and Navy. In fact, both still could join.

AFA (to Navy): If you join, we'll join.

Navy (to AFA): Well, if you join, we'll join.

MWC will look to SJSU and Utah State next, so by 2013, the MWC could like like the WAC before they went to 16 teams, but without BYU.

If I'm the basketball schools in the Big East, I'm either trying to force the football conference to call itself something besides the Big East to maintain what little dignity the conference has left, or starting a movement with the other hoops schools to break away and form our own conference even if it means moving the tournament away from MSG for a few years (I say a few years because how long would MSG want to host a tournament that featured South Florida and SMU rather than Georgetown, Villanova and St. John's?)

I'm really hoping that this addition is a start towards a succession of the BE football schools to form a new conference.

Because Nebraska (the first domino) HAD to join the BigTen, college football has now become THIS. <_<

If you're trying to assign blame to Nebraska, consider this: Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M have all jumped ship as well. One or two schools looking for greener pastures is not new, but 1/3rd of a conference leaving would seem to indicate a larger, systemic problem with the conference.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

SAN DIEGO State in the Big EAST... Sure.

Don't blame the schools, blame the BCS. Boise State, et al. would like to not get screwed over every year come bowl season.

In the Big East, you can lose three games and back in to a BCS bowl bid. Plus, the money is better and so is the television exposure. The Mtn. Network is a huge joke that hardly anyone gets.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

SAN DIEGO State in the Big EAST... Sure.

Don't blame the schools, blame the BCS. Boise State, et al. would like to not get screwed over every year come bowl season.

And under the traditional bowl system, Boise State would most likely be in the same spot...out of a major bowl.

That would be a good idea except the basketball schools tend to eat the money of the football schools to survive. Remember-the basketball schools run the Big East. Or "The Conference That Will Mount The Orange Bowl"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The best thing about today's Big East announcement is that Boise State fans can now finally SHUT THE HELL UP.

:D

For now. Their fans will start whining again once the Big East loses "Automatic Qualifier" status the next time the BCS makes changes to their system.

No kidding. While I think pick-ups plus Cincinnati, Louisville and USF make for an interesting football conference, it's definitely not the Miami, Virginia Tech, Pitt and Syracuse conference that actually made sense for AQ status 15 years ago.

It most just looks like Conference USA redux, with the new worse-ever conference name. Good luck though!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Four 16-team mega conferences. The four conference championship game winners meet in a final four (semifinals & championship) to determine the national champion. Simple as that. No more BCS.

Oh to be young and naive.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Four 16-team mega conferences. The four conference championship game winners meet in a final four (semifinals & championship) to determine the national champion. Simple as that. No more BCS.

Oh to be young and naive.

Oh to be old and from Ohio

I love Ohio <_<

I just can't wait until this conference nonsense stops. Superconferences will kill the game

Manchester-City-icon.png