kevsim1

Small details that bother you

661 posts in this topic

Double outlining in general. For me, if you need to double outline, there is something wrong with your design.

san-diego-chargers-85-antonio-gates-foot

Bird logos with teeth.

Louisville-Logo.gif

Whose dentures did he steal?

OH MAN, Hell yeah! This drives me nuts!

And it's a freaking epidemic!

Illinois_State_Redbirds.gif

mascot_squad_landing.jpg

2834.gif

Rochester-Red-Wings-logo1.jpg

1 person likes this

The NFL has a ton of these little details that bother me.

There are more but these are just off the top of my head.

- The Seahawks gray/white pants have no green in them.

- The Browns pants stripe is not the inverse of their helmet stripe. Should be brown-orange-brown.

- Shoulder loops on the Colts and Jets don’t go to the base of the armpit like they should.

- The Vikings sleeve stripe on the white jersey doesn’t match the stripe on the white pants.

- The Rams shoulder stripes on the blue jersey use white as the outermost stripe but on the white jerseys gold touches the navy blue sleeve. Switch white with gold placement on the blue jersey and you’re left with better consistency from blue jersey to white jersey.

- The Texans refusing to wear red socks on the road.

- The Eagles use of “charcoal” when silver/gray would work and look so much better.

- The way the 49ers deliberately truncate their sleeve stripes despite moving the numbers to the shoulders. You have arm space to show all three stripes.

- How the stripe widths on the Chiefs’ socks are different than those of their pants and sleeves.

- How the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks when they wear the white jerseys with white pants. The solid green socks look so much better with that look.

- How the Saints pants stripe doesn’t match their helmet stripe.

What little thing bugs me is when the nameplate is a single color (or 2 color on three color numbers), but the numbers are one or two outlines. Why doesn't the nameplate match? Ex TB Bucs. It's not for spacing as the Jags older unis had them. Another little thing that bothers me is when you have a wordmark with multiple colors and a single color number. The final little thing is when you have a team with nice uniform colors and use the trim (Miami Canes football) and the other sports use a single color, but the tertiary colors on stripes (Hurricane basketball/baseball).

jets-wheres-tim-tebow-football.jpg

The mismatching shades of green on the Nike Jets jerseys due to different materials. Looks awful.

jets-wheres-tim-tebow-football.jpg

The mismatching shades of green on the Nike Jets jerseys due to different materials. Looks awful.

And the way those stripes end up against the white sleeve.. Horrible.

New Jersey's other football team has a uniform annoyance too. On the Giants' white jerseys, there is zero blue. Also, aside from the facemask which doesn't really count because many teams wear gray masks, there is no gray anywhere other than the pants.

They're bringing back white pants but it looks they're re-using the stripes from the gray pants and it still looks out of place. But the worst part for me is the two-tone jerseys missing the MAIN TEAM COLOR that look like they were ordered through Eastbay or a local t-shirt shop. The blue jerseys have the same problem with no red, but it doesn't look as egregious to me as leaving out the blue.

nfl_giantsRB2_576.jpg

^Where's the blue?

whitepants_article_3_053113.jpg

^Why the random gray?

Is that an "OU" vs "UO" thing?

If so, add me to the list . . . and add the Universities of Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska as offenders (though Nebraska hasn't used the NU on its helmets in about 40 years).

- Colts double-stripes everywhere but the helmet where they use the single stripe.

- The Pirates' continued use of red in their primary logo.

- Not sports, but the Lowe's S disaster

1 person likes this

^Why the random gray?

It's not random - gray is a team color.

^Why the random gray?

It's randomly-placed in the pants but not the jersey or actual helmet. They don't use it consistently. The only part of the uniform it shows up in is the pants.

Is that an "OU" vs "UO" thing?

If so, add me to the list . . . and add the Universities of Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska as offenders (though Nebraska hasn't used the NU on its helmets in about 40 years).

That's correct.

^Why the random gray?

It's randomly-placed in the pants but not the jersey or actual helmet. They don't use it consistently. The only part of the uniform it shows up in is the pants.

It shows up on the facemask.

Hated that the old Bronco helmet had the bronco facing backwards on one side. I understand the official logo is correct, but other teams have adjusted the logo to have the animal face the same way as the player.

Denver_Broncos_Old_Retro_Helmet_Right_Fa
helmetdolphins.jpgboise-state-university-football-automati
texas-christian-university-football-helm

And Wisconsin curves their logo outward on both sides.

wisconsin-helmet.jpg

Perhaps, but reversing the horse without reversing the D would look all manner of goofy.

^Why the random gray?

Yes - all the Giants' pants use blue, red and gray, as does the helmet. Because those are the three team colors.

As for not having any gray on the jersey, the Giants (rather notoriously) only use one color on each of their jerseys - blue at home, red on the road.

So really, your question shouldn't be "Why the random gray?" but rather "what's with the single-color jerseys?"

2 people like this

Perhaps, but reversing the horse without reversing the D would look all manner of goofy.

^Why the random gray?

Yes - all the Giants' pants use blue, red and gray, as does the helmet. Because those are the three team colors.

As for not having any gray on the jersey, the Giants (rather notoriously) only use one color on each of their jerseys - blue at home, red on the road.

So really, your question shouldn't be "Why the random gray?" but rather "what's with the single-color jerseys?"

That was my FIRST issue. :D

The Ravens reverse the bird to accommodate the "B" on the helmet

I messed up the quote, but I blame being off and Budweiser...

The NFL has a ton of these little details that bother me.

There are more but these are just off the top of my head.

- The Seahawks gray/white pants have no green in them.

- The Browns pants stripe is not the inverse of their helmet stripe. Should be brown-orange-brown.

- Shoulder loops on the Colts and Jets don’t go to the base of the armpit like they should.

- The Vikings sleeve stripe on the white jersey doesn’t match the stripe on the white pants.

- The Rams shoulder stripes on the blue jersey use white as the outermost stripe but on the white jerseys gold touches the navy blue sleeve. Switch white with gold placement on the blue jersey and you’re left with better consistency from blue jersey to white jersey.

- The Texans refusing to wear red socks on the road.

- The Eagles use of “charcoal” when silver/gray would work and look so much better.

- The way the 49ers deliberately truncate their sleeve stripes despite moving the numbers to the shoulders. You have arm space to show all three stripes.

- How the stripe widths on the Chiefs’ socks are different than those of their pants and sleeves.

- How the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks when they wear the white jerseys with white pants. The solid green socks look so much better with that look.

- How the Saints pants stripe doesn’t match their helmet stripe.

I was going to post something in this thread, but you just nailed my every NFL complaint. I couldn't possibly agree more about everthing you've said here.

One more NFL complaint: the Redskins, depending upon the combination, have no stripe configurations that match across the entire uniform (helmet, sleeves, pants, socks).

The Ravens reverse the bird to accommodate the "B" on the helmet

I messed up the quote, but I blame being off and Budweiser...
No worries. But as for the Ravens, you proved my point.

The only thing worse than their regular logo:

Baltimore_Ravens_Helmet.jpg

Is the reversed version used only on the helmets.

BaltimoreRavensReverseHelmet.jpg

That's why the Broncos didn't do it.

One more NFL complaint: the Redskins, depending upon the combination, have no stripe configurations that match across the entire uniform (helmet, sleeves, pants, socks).

I agree as a Skins fan. They just swiped the 70s George Allen pants from the 75th throwbacks and I LOVE the gold pants, but if they took the two stripes from the regular burgundy or white pants and used them on the gold pants...perfection. They'd match the jersey sleeves also. Ditch the 70s socks too. I'm guessing Bruce Allen is just feeling nostalgic.

This would be perfect, since I don't think 2 stripes on the helmet would look right::

dt11gold2-copia.png

1 person likes this

I've always hated the inverse side of the Ravens helmet. Looks horrible with the B flipped the wrong way, I don't understand why the bird needs a B tattoo on his head...put the bird on top of the B if you must have it, then it won't look so goofy on one side of the helmet.

They almost look like ears on the bird, especially on the flipped left side.