Small details that bother you

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very minor, but something that's bugged me since '97: the dark orange trim in the Buccaneers' uniforms. Against the red jerseys, it dang near gets lost. On the whites, because it touches the red, it makes the whole number appear dark orange from a distance. I don't know why they didn't just keep to the older, brighter orange (the original half-peachish orange would've been even better, especially as a built-in ode to the original team, but I'd be cool with good ol' 151 too)...as is now, its too dark.

Of course, I've also long thought my Buccaneers should just ax the orange out of this current identity altogether and keep to pewter, red, and black just to simplify things (and change the orange parts to pewter), but I'm also so insanely attached to the color orange I feel like a walking contradiction for even thinking that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Cowboys' uniform set is riddled with bothersome small details, from the million different shades of blue and silver, to the green pants at home, the completely different designs on the blue jersey and the white, the random inclusion of black in the white jersey's sleeve stripes, that hideous thick number font on the white jersey, etc. It's like they were trying to make the biggest possible mess of an identity.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Very minor, but something that's bugged me since '97: the dark orange trim in the Buccaneers' uniforms. Against the red jerseys, it dang near gets lost. On the whites, because it touches the red, it makes the whole number appear dark orange from a distance. I don't know why they didn't just keep to the older, brighter orange (the original half-peachish orange would've been even better, especially as a built-in ode to the original team, but I'd be cool with good ol' 151 too)...as is now, its too dark.

What's even more perplexing, is that Nike (I'm assuming it was Nike's decision) actually darkened the Orange in 2012. Here's a visual history of the Bucs' Orange through the years:

This is an estimate of the original Florida Orange - I took an official 1977 Style Guide sheet and matched it up against a current Pantone Plus Formula Guide. The NFL didn't provide Pantone matching prior to 1980 or so - they just provided artwork and tear-off color chips for matching:

TampaBayBuccaneersOrange_1979_SCC_SRGB.p

Representing Florida Orange using Pantone:

TampaBayBuccaneersOrange_1996_SCC_SRGB.p

The new, darkened Orange used in the 1997 redesign:

TampaBayBuccaneersOrange_2000_SCC_SRGB.p

A minor change in 2001:

TampaBayBuccaneersOrange_2011_SCC_SRGB.p

The current, even darker, Orange:

TampaBayBuccaneersOrange_9999_SCC_SRGB.p

For the "Classic" throwback uniforms, the Buccaneers use a custom color to represent the uniform color and helmet facemasks:

TampaBayBuccaneersTBUOrange2_9999_SCC_SR

...and this one (the 1980-1996 version) to represent the helmet marks and stripes:

TampaBayBuccaneersTBUOrange_9999_SCC_SRG

Two more things I need to mention regarding the Bucs' Orange:

1. I just opened up an official On-Field Guide file for the Bucs, and apparently the NFL agrees with me on that original Florida Orange color estimate. They're using that same exact Pantone color to represent it for the throwbacks (along with the "Orange Glaze" custom color - which was a Reebok concoction).

2. I was drinking Orange Gatorade while typing up the post on the Bucs' Orange. Coincidence or...?

The NFL has a ton of these little details that bother me.

There are more but these are just off the top of my head.

- The Seahawks gray/white pants have no green in them.

- The Browns pants stripe is not the inverse of their helmet stripe. Should be brown-orange-brown.

- Shoulder loops on the Colts and Jets don’t go to the base of the armpit like they should.

- The Vikings sleeve stripe on the white jersey doesn’t match the stripe on the white pants.

- The Rams shoulder stripes on the blue jersey use white as the outermost stripe but on the white jerseys gold touches the navy blue sleeve. Switch white with gold placement on the blue jersey and you’re left with better consistency from blue jersey to white jersey.

- The Texans refusing to wear red socks on the road.

- The Eagles use of “charcoal” when silver/gray would work and look so much better.

- The way the 49ers deliberately truncate their sleeve stripes despite moving the numbers to the shoulders. You have arm space to show all three stripes.

- How the stripe widths on the Chiefs’ socks are different than those of their pants and sleeves.

- How the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks when they wear the white jerseys with white pants. The solid green socks look so much better with that look.

- How the Saints pants stripe doesn’t match their helmet stripe.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What little thing bugs me is when the nameplate is a single color (or 2 color on three color numbers), but the numbers are one or two outlines. Why doesn't the nameplate match? Ex TB Bucs. It's not for spacing as the Jags older unis had them. Another little thing that bothers me is when you have a wordmark with multiple colors and a single color number. The final little thing is when you have a team with nice uniform colors and use the trim (Miami Canes football) and the other sports use a single color, but the tertiary colors on stripes (Hurricane basketball/baseball).

KISSwall09.jpg

jets-wheres-tim-tebow-football.jpg

The mismatching shades of green on the Nike Jets jerseys due to different materials. Looks awful.

And the way those stripes end up against the white sleeve.. Horrible.

New Jersey's other football team has a uniform annoyance too. On the Giants' white jerseys, there is zero blue. Also, aside from the facemask which doesn't really count because many teams wear gray masks, there is no gray anywhere other than the pants.

They're bringing back white pants but it looks they're re-using the stripes from the gray pants and it still looks out of place. But the worst part for me is the two-tone jerseys missing the MAIN TEAM COLOR that look like they were ordered through Eastbay or a local t-shirt shop. The blue jerseys have the same problem with no red, but it doesn't look as egregious to me as leaving out the blue.

nfl_giantsRB2_576.jpg

^Where's the blue?

whitepants_article_3_053113.jpg

^Why the random gray?

87Redskins.png

Is that an "OU" vs "UO" thing?

If so, add me to the list . . . and add the Universities of Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska as offenders (though Nebraska hasn't used the NU on its helmets in about 40 years).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

- Colts double-stripes everywhere but the helmet where they use the single stripe.

- The Pirates' continued use of red in their primary logo.

- Not sports, but the Lowe's S disaster

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived