The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Admiral, if Philadelphia finishes ahead of Columbus, I'll buy you a bag of those gumdrops you seem to love so much.

I appreciate that, but I agree that Columbus will finish ahead of Philadelphia. I just think the Flyers played better hockey in the first half than the Beej did. If a 19-goal gap isn't enough to draw a line between two teams, what is?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admiral, if Philadelphia finishes ahead of Columbus, I'll buy you a bag of those gumdrops you seem to love so much.

I appreciate that, but I agree that Columbus will finish ahead of Philadelphia. I just think the Flyers played better hockey in the first half than the Beej did. If a 19-goal gap isn't enough to draw a line between two teams, what is?

ESPN had/has it at 10 difference in goal differential.

Well, I think they played games since then, but shootout goals aren't credited to players, so they're not really goals. Philly is 0-5 in the shootout (yeesh!), so move them up from -11 to -6, Columbus is 4-1 so bump them down from -21 to -24. So that's 18 now. Still a pretty wide gap for ~36 games.

I suppose I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers, hence this very generous benefit of the doubt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With that in mind, I still feel frontrunning is a shady act to commit as a sports fan, but see it's more of a human characteristic now and not explicit to certain fanbases, so for that, I have amended my views.

There's nothing wrong with being a fairweather fan, why should you subject yourself to misery? Why should you support a a franchise without fail, no team thinks they owe their fans that same loyalty. Hell, some teams might be better off if people packed up and left en masse through periods of incompetence.

I won't totally rehash the same points I made in a different thread when I first became a member, but I fundamentally disagree with your notion because for many here, sports is something that is deeper than just a brand we enjoy that some old white guy owns. It becomes something we devote countless time and energy to and for people to just watch and cheer when people win undermines the loyalty factor many sports fans consider crucial to their understanding of what it means to be a fan.

On a completely different note, I just discovered that being a Gamecenter subscriber gets me access to the vault, where I can watch tons of classic games. Not going to lie, this deal is a freaking steal if you're a hockey nerd.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Well, I think they played games since then, but shootout goals aren't credited to players, so they're not really goals. Philly is 0-5 in the shootout (yeesh!), so move them up from -11 to -6, Columbus is 4-1 so bump them down from -21 to -24. So that's 18 now. Still a pretty wide gap for ~36 games.

I suppose I've always had a soft spot for the Flyers, hence this very generous benefit of the doubt.

I've followed the nhl for a long time. I've never seen have as many injuries to as many key players at once as the Blue Jackets did. Since getting healthier they've turned it around. If they can't get the benefit of the doubt for that then no team should get any sort of benefit of the doubt.

Also top ranked power play. Bad teams don't lead the league in power play percentage. Mediocre teams might, which is all I'm asking, but bad teams don't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

LA puts up 3 in the last 2 minutes, and stuns the Preds to send it into OT.

But the Preds win 7-6 in OT.

Also the top All Star vote getters were Zemgus Girgensons and Blackhawks.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I guess I owe some of those locals here in the Windy City an apology for calling them bandwagoners,

Really very little to do with your post, and I'm sure it's well-trodden territory, but it reminded me:

Living in Saint Louis and dealing with a small but vocal number of buttsore Blues fans and the whole "you're such a bandwagon jumping Hawks fan" refrain has grown pretty tiresome. I mean, in 2010 it was one thing, but to still be harping on it? Are there a lot (A LOT) of Blackhawks fans who popped up out of nowhere during the Kane/Toews era? Yep. Totally. 100%. But that's not all Hawks fans. Some Hawks fans grew up listening to home games on WBBM and know the Lemonheads jingle by heart. Some Hawks fans counted Eric Daze as their great white hope. Some Hawks fans were still watching when Alexei Zhamnov was the first line center. Some Hawks fans still went to games when Chris Chelios was run out of town and had to watch him win a Cup with f'n Detroit. Some Hawks fans would sit at a bar and wonder whether the interesting things Rocky and McDonough were doing would bring fans back to the team or if Chicago was too far gone as a hockey town.

I guess I owe some of those locals here in the Windy City an apology for calling them bandwagoners,

Really very little to do with your post, and I'm sure it's well-trodden territory, but it reminded me:

Living in Saint Louis and dealing with a small but vocal number of buttsore Blues fans and the whole "you're such a bandwagon jumping Hawks fan" refrain has grown pretty tiresome. I mean, in 2010 it was one thing, but to still be harping on it? Are there a lot (A LOT) of Blackhawks fans who popped up out of nowhere during the Kane/Toews era? Yep. Totally. 100%. But that's not all Hawks fans. Some Hawks fans grew up listening to home games on WBBM and know the Lemonheads jingle by heart. Some Hawks fans counted Eric Daze as their great white hope. Some Hawks fans were still watching when Alexei Zhamnov was the first line center. Some Hawks fans still went to games when Chris Chelios was run out of town and had to watch him win a Cup with f'n Detroit. Some Hawks fans would sit at a bar and wonder whether the interesting things Rocky and McDonough were doing would bring fans back to the team or if Chicago was too far gone as a hockey town.

Remember Tyler Arnason?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

*prods San Jose with stick*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Blues were simply the better team and you could feel the game slip away with the goal right after that god awful excuse for a power play they tried to establish at the end of the second. So hey, good for you Oshie and company. You beat a perpetual choker. That's...something.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived